Jewel...no Grand Atrium

maui34

Does anyone find this strange, I always loved seeing the rows of glass elevators and the massive height of the atrium. There probably will be alot of changes for ships in the future. I am suprised that they do not have a rock climbing wall, mini golf, or outdoor movie screen. Still a beauty.:D

The Sun is the same way - not a very "grand" atrium but nice nonetheless.

The Star has a nice Grand Atrium.

The Pearl has the rock wall, and so will the Gem. I believe this was decided after the Jewel was near completion.

Not sure about the "theatre under the stars" - isn't that a Princess thing?

The Sun is the same way - not a very "grand" atrium but nice nonetheless.

To me, the atrium on the Sun is more of the style that we're accustomed to on modern ships (several decks tall with glass enclosed elevators). On the Jewel, it's completely different, (2 decks only). I got use to it and actually thought it pretty by the time the cruise was over.

-Monte

No, I don't find a ship missing glass elevators strange..

It's not great or efficient use of space to have a ceiling 7 decks high. Wouldn't you agree a 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, or 77 decks high ceiling would be way too much?

2 to 3 decks high ceiling is sufficent to create the atmosphere of a grand space.

Here's a photo of atrium on both Jewel & Sun. I should've attached them to my post above-sorry

I think the first photo is of the atrium on the Pearl, not the Jewel?

I liked looking out of the glass elevators on the Dawn to see what is happening in the atrium but I think, overall, I prefer the 2 or 3 deck high atriums to the 6 - 8 deck ones.

They can stick a lot of cabins in the space that is wasted by an atrium. Besides the ship will sink slower without the 7 story high atrium:)LOL

I always liked the multi-deck atriums with their glass elevators. On many occasions, as I sat at the base of a soaring atrium, listening to talented musicians and watching those glass elevators go up and down, I couldn't help thinking that the passengers on the Titanic had nothing like this. Replacing that impressive space with more cabins is hardly a plus. The last thing many of our current cruise ships need is more passengers in the same space.

Surprisingly, the most beautiful atrium I ever saw on any ship was on Carnival's formerly smoke-free Paradise. No neon, beautifully under-stated and not typically Carnival.

I think the first photo is of the atrium on the Pearl, not the Jewel?

Nope, it's the Jewel. I took the picture on our sailing over a year ago (Dec '05) & have never sailed on the Pearl. My understanding is that the Crystal Atrium on those ships is a lot alike

-Monte

Nope, it's the Jewel. I took the picture on our sailing over a year ago (Dec '05) & have never sailed on the Pearl. My understanding is that the Crystal Atrium on those ships is a lot alike

-Monte

Very alike, sorry for doubting you.:)

Replacing that impressive space [the ridiculous atrium] with more cabins is hardly a plus.

Replacing it with anything is a plus. Anyone "impressed" by an atrium...well...better left unsaid. Atriums are intended to impress the easily impressed, and don't belong on a cruise ship. I can think of many enjoyable things to do on an ocean cruise, but watching the elevators go up and down... :rolleyes:

I'll go electricron one better: I find it "strange" to have an atrium on a cruise ship. Useless. Out of character. Bogus. Wasteful. And the list could go on. Thanks, NCL, for showing good sense.

Replacing it with anything is a plus. Anyone "impressed" by an atrium...well...better left unsaid. Atriums are intended to impress the easily impressed, and don't belong on a cruise ship. I can think of many enjoyable things to do on an ocean cruise, but watching the elevators go up and down... :rolleyes:

I'll go electricron one better: I find it "strange" to have an atrium on a cruise ship. Useless. Out of character. Bogus. Wasteful. And the list could go on. Thanks, NCL, for showing good sense.

Thanks for dictating how a person should feel and think! :mad:

I love the large atriums! It does not surprise me that NCL is not in the business of building large atriums as they are basically taking any ounce of elegance and style out of cruising.

Just my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I always liked the multi-deck atriums with their glass elevators.

My kids prefer the atriums as well. The elevators are a lot more fun to ride up and down when they are bored. This is of course after they have already switched the "do not disturb" signs to "please make up room" and vice versa.

I'm just playing with y'all. Everyone's getting too cranky.

That you would think additional cabins are more impressive than a soaring atrium only demonstrates the "strange" taste of some critics. But then, critics never built anything. It takes an artist to design an impressive atrium. Few of us are easily impressed by additional cabins.

Thanks for dictating how a person should feel and think! :mad:

I love the large atriums! It does not surprise me that NCL is not in the business of building large atriums as they are basically taking any ounce of elegance and style out of cruising.

I think NCL has a lot more style then HAL, Carnival or RCI.

I also like the large atriums, it just seems kind of classy to me. I agree that we don't need any additional cabins onboard ship. You just don't get the WOW Factor when boarding the Jewell, like you get when boarding a ship like the Celebrity Summit or the Caribbean Princess with Skywalkers Nightclub. However, with the NCL Jewell you do have more variety as far as dinning options go. I do believe that the additional dinning rooms do take up a significant amount of space aboard NCL ships. So in the end what do you prefer, a larger atruim or more dinning options with freestyle. You get to choose, and the other side can criticize your choice. Is this a great country or what?

That is exactly what it boils down to, either more lounges and restaurants, or a huge unnecessary atrium. I agree with electricron here, a two or three deck atrium is sufficient for a grand space aboard.

The Dawn has an attractive atrium and still managed to have as many restaurants and lounges as the Jewel. By reducing the atrium, the Jewel only added additional cabins which provide more passengers to add to the crowds in the same number of restaurants and lounges. More revenue for NCL but hardly a more satisfying cruising experience for passengers. Every day, thousands of passengers embark on their first cruise ever. Their first and perhaps lasting impression is made when entering the atrium.

I agree with many............I love the large soaring atriums! Although the Sun's atrium was somewhat larger than the Jewel, I still remember my first impression stepping on to the Sun. We were RCCL cruisers first then 'switched' for our next 2 cruises, and there was quite a difference in my first impression of that ship vs. The Navigator of the Seas. I know so much of this first impression simply depends on the person. I remember Hotspur really flamed me to the point it almost made me not want to come on these boards anymore about 2 months ago when I was asking a simple question about our cabin. I wish people could just have discussions and share their opinions without getting so defensive. These boards can be a great place to share views, opinions and experiences but please everyone try to remember that each person is as entitled to their opinion as you are yours. Responses don't have to be typed in with so much venom.

This is just my own personal opinion! I did grow accustomed to the smaller atriums and actually enjoyed the 'cozier' feeling of sitting in that smaller area. I think it is nice to be able to experience both types of atriums: one larger and more 'festive' and one smaller and more 'intimate'. If NCL chose to add a couple of ships with those big atriums then it would give their cruisers even more choices.............and how can that be bad?

Okay, I'm afraid to even hit 'submit' because of the tone this thread was taking.................but here it goes!!:eek:

Archived