How do HAL classify their cabins into categories?

debsjc

I've just been looking at the Noordam deck plans, and where the different categories of cabins are located - to me it does not make much sense.

Looking at the Verandah Deck for example, it has VC's at the front where the ride is rougher, and the less expensive VE's midships, with VF's in there as well. Why would this be?

I thought all the VF- VA were the same size, but maybe I'm wrong.

Except for the ones at "the bends", the mid-ship VE/VF on deck 5 have a shallower verandah than the VA/VB/VC by about 1.5 ft. On the other hand, the VDs on deck 4 have a deeper verandah than VA/VB/VC by about 1.5 ft. Inside, the cabins are the same size, except for the VAs at the stern which are about 1 foot longer.

That's the only reason I can think of. :)

The primary reason I can think of, and this comes from looking at the deck diagrams for the ships, is that there are the PH and S Suites usually on the Rotterdam Deck - but for the other staterooms it seems that the reasoning is that you have to take into account the fact that certain locations on the ship are more "favorable" than others. The traditional idea says that the lowest you can get in the ship (and still have a balcony) and most towards the middle of the ship, the smoother the ride and in theory a better cruise.

Personally I enjoy the midships S Suites and the aft suites the best - when the latter are available, which means reserving really early!

I've just been looking at the Noordam deck plans, and where the different categories of cabins are located - to me it does not make much sense.

Looking at the Verandah Deck for example, it has VC's at the front where the ride is rougher, and the less expensive VE's midships, with VF's in there as well. Why would this be?

I thought all the VF- VA were the same size, but maybe I'm wrong.

We were on the Verandah deck last cruise. In a VC, 5150. I think all the verandah staterooms aft are VC's as well. A reason why the staterooms midship are VE's and VF's is because they are directly over the lifeboats. It doesn't obstruct the view looking straight out, but it does looking down.

While on the ship, on the day we disembarked, I went into the one on the corner that is a handicapped stateroom and a VF. The stateroom is larger as is the verandah! Lovely room. And I've heard that if you book that one, and they need it for a handicapped person, you get an upgrade. That was scuttlebut, so I'm not sure how much validity there is to it.

While the mid-ship VE cabins on deck 5 may have deeper verandahs, keep in mind that those cabins overlook the lifeboats/tenders. On the Vista class ships, the lifeboats are not as recessed as on HAL's smaller ships, so you will be looking down onto the top of the lifeboats, rather than down into the water.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes ... we upgraded on the Westerdam to an SS. Loved the extra room and the water view.

Archived