Request Private Driver ? Who ?

hookedup

Have read some previous reviews which mentioned names & numbers of taxi drivers for day tours.

Any recommendations of a private taxi driver for around 6 hour tour?

Name and contact # and reason why you suggest I use them would be appreciated?

The fellow I'm going to suggest does not have internet, so you'll have to write him or call.

We've been on the island for 13 years now and Ralph was the fellow who showed us the ins-and-outs for the first two or three years.

I can't imagine a more knowledgable, kind and honest person. Plus, he really knows his island.

The particulars:

Ralph Lewis

Laynes Road Paynes

St James, Barbados

Ph: 246-432-7815

If he is unavailable on the day that you arrive, he will be sure that you receive a good driver. Even if you are unable to contact him, please mention his name to the taxi captain and you will receive special treatment.

Best wishes for a wonderful visit to the island! (We hope to find the time to visit Oz next year). :)

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to let me know if you need any info on Australia. Australian born and bred. I spent 2 years travelling around this wonderful country a few years back, so hopefully I would be able to help answer any questions on any destinations. However if you need any info on Queensland or the beautiful Sunshine Coast where I reside, you've found the expert.

Mr. Barbados-

Do you happen to know the going rate for a private tour for 6 hours or so?? I realize that we'd pay entrance fees and for lunch/drinks if applicable, but just for the guide and taxi for 2 pp?? We are weighing our options between Glory Tours, Boyce Tours, and a private taxi.

Thanks!

”Do you happen to know the going rate for a private tour for 6 hours or so?? I realize that we'd pay entrance fees and for lunch/drinks if applicable, but just for the guide and taxi for 2 pp?? We are weighing our options between Glory Tours, Boyce Tours, and a private taxi.”

The last time that I checked, it was US$22/hour for up to four in the cab. So your six hour tour would cost about US$132 + tip.

You know, with another couple splitting that, it’s a good deal, especially considering the special attention and custom itinerary that you have with a taxi tour.

A six to eight tour will get you to all the hot spots and you would see much more than the person taking a generic tour. A tour this long will allow you to see about 75% of the island, depending on how long you stay at the attractions.

Regardless of the vehicle you choose to see the island, I wish you a wonderful time! :)

When we were in Barbardoes in january 2004 we used Boyce Tours for a full day private tour but there were 7 of us -

We had a wonderful day and the cost was very reasonable.

Plus it included a nice lunch at a nice restaurant in Bathsheba.

• 2 weeks later...

when we were in barbados in 1999 we used Randy for a half day tour and were well pleased. Don't remember what we paid, but he was very personable and came with us into shops when we looked around to ensure we got a good deal and didn't steer us to specific shops where he would get an under the counter commission. At that time his contact number was (246) 437-4871

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Barbados said:

"The last time that I checked, it was US$22/hour for up to four in the cab. So your six hour tour would cost about US$132 + tip."

Mr. Barbados, the taxi rates quoted by the The Barbados Tourism Encyclopedia show BDS$32 per hour, am I reading

that correctly ? (which is US$16 per hour)

And BDS$38 ($19 U.S.), doesnt seem too bad for a taxi ride from Bridgetown to Bathsheba, and another BDS$38 ($19 U.S.) back... for a round-trip price of US$38 ?

Maybe their taxi rate schedule needs to be updated ?

I assume these rates are per taxi, not per person ???

Any clarification is greatly appreciated !

Thanks to all.

Mr. Barbados said:

"The last time that I checked, it was US$22/hour for up to four in the cab. So your six hour tour would cost about US$132 + tip."

Mr. Barbados, the taxi rates quoted by the The Barbados Tourism Encyclopedia show BDS$32 per hour, am I reading

that correctly ? (which is US$16 per hour)

And BDS$38 ($19 U.S.), doesnt seem too bad for a taxi ride from Bridgetown to Bathsheba, and another BDS$38 ($19 U.S.) back... for a round-trip price of US$38 ?

Maybe their taxi rate schedule needs to be updated ?

I assume these rates are per taxi, not per person ???

Any clarification is greatly appreciated !

Thanks to all.

Barbados taxi fares are a little ambiguous and I’m no expert, as I haven’t taken them for a number of years since we bought our own car, but here’s my take on the subject……

Government published rates do indeed show US$16/hr for up to three (3) in the cab. The forth is additional. Two, or one, is the same.

Plus there is an extra charge of US$2 for air conditioning and most taxi drivers charge an extra US$2 above the published rates. Don’t ask me the reason, I don’t know.

So, I generally base the hourly charge for four (4) in the cab, air conditioning (most are quite new vehicles) and the extra US$2 and it is closer to US$20-22/hr than the published rates.

I’m not saying that you won’t find a taxi that will drive you around for US$16/hr, I’m just saying that it would be the exception rather than the rule.

You may be successful finding a US$38 round trip fare from B-town to Bathsheba. If it was just a one-way fare it may be more, as the driver may have to return on his own nickel.

Sorry that it’s not as cut-and-dried as the link you provided states. Figure on a little more and you may be pleasantly surprised at the end of your journey. :)

Archived