Ordering more than 1 item on the menu?

I don't know if this has been ask before but I wanted to know if you can order more than 1 item on the main course dinner.

My family and I went to DCL last year and my DH and DS's order more than 1 item on the menu. The servers even encourages it. They ask me if they can do the same on FOS? What is your experience? We don't want to look like greedy hungry people on board and will the server give you the "eye why are they ordering more than 1"

I want to make sure so I can tell my DH and DS's beforehand. I guess we got spoiled by DCL.

I would be shocked if any server gave you the fish eye for anything you order. There's no problem ordering more than 1 item on the menu. Often, my entire meal consists of only starters. You'll love the Freedom. What a beautiful Dining Room! ~ LL

Every time someone wants to share a coke on a coke card they call it steelng and when someone wants to eat more that is ok. I for one eat only one of each and it that is not filling I will grab a snack later in the evening. That is just me.

Dh has done this at every meal on every cruise he has taken! I usually can't eat that much but I have tried more than one dessert when I couldn't decide. Oh and you can also request items. For example the chocolate cream brule that we had at lunch we wanted to have as our dessert at dinner each night. On the first night after having had it at lunch we asked the head waiter if he could make that happen for us. And he did!!

Every time someone wants to share a coke on a coke card they call it steelng and when someone wants to eat more that is ok. I for one eat only one of each and it that is not filling I will grab a snack later in the evening. That is just me.

I'm a bit confused......I fail to see the comparison?:confused:

Do you never get more than one thing at the Windjammer if several things look good? Food is included, the coke card costs extra and is intended for the person who purchased it. And that person can have as many cokes as they wish, not just one the whole week. Spare me!

Do you never get more than one thing at the Windjammer if several things look good? Food is included, the coke card costs extra and is intended for the person who purchased it. And that person can have as many cokes as they wish, not just one the whole week. Spare me!

That's why so many people LOVE the buffet! I've seen copious amounts of food piled on plates! Amazing!

Yes, we have done it. But I will say that we only have ordered more if we could eat it.

There was one couple at our table that would order double portions of entree every single time. When the plates were delivered, (most times) they would not even touch the 2nd portion, and they were taken away untouched.

Is that wrong? I personally think so, (I was brought up not to waste food), but then the waiter did nothing to discourage it, and of course we said nothing.

Perhaps on a ship a certain quantity of meals are prepared and they allow for this waste.

On the other hand, if it was a land based restaurant, I think they would not be so accomodating.

Yes, we have done it. But I will say that we only have ordered more if we could eat it.

There was one couple at our table that would order double portions of entree every single time. When the plates were delivered, (most times) they would not even touch the 2nd portion, and they were taken away untouched.

Is that wrong? I personally think so, (I was brought up not to waste food), but then the waiter did nothing to discourage it, and of course we said nothing.

Perhaps on a ship a certain quantity of meals are prepared and they allow for this waste.

On the other hand, if it was a land based restaurant, I think they would not be so accomodating.

I got no problem of my DH and DS finishing it... sometimes I just kinda feel bad or embarrased that we are allowed to order more... but they do finish it and I get to taste each one.

When we were on the QM2 one of my table mates ordered two entrees and our waitress told her "you DO know that is two entrees, right? You want TWO entrees???" She made a big deal of it, like no one had EVER done that before on the ship! Isn't it enough that they have segregated dining (dictated by the cabin class you are in), but they have to make you feel greedy too? The waitress could have done like our waiter on the NCL Pearl and just never brought the second entree.....but that's a whole other story!

Sometimes if we can't decide easily, my son and I will order an entree each and then one to share. On one cruise, when our waiter learned that my son likes scallops very well, each night he received a plate or bowl of scallops for the rest of the cruise. There have been times if we mentioned that we liked more than one item and only ordered one item, the second would also appear. :D

i many times have asked for a second of something or another of something...but have just asked for the main course not the veggie's that come with it...ie...steak...shrimp...lobster...etc...i too dislike wasting food...but most of the time the waiter says that it all comes on one plate...it's easier for them to just take another plate out of the kitchen rather then to ask that the meat or main course be put on a seperate plate...honey can i have another pot pie tonite...

Go for it!

We always sit at a large table. We will always order something no ordered. And pass it around....sampling.

Over the years, we have run into a ton of folks that do the same.

You are adding a bit more work for the wait staff so please remember them at the end of your cruise...a wee bit extra (that is why they LOVE to have you order seconds or extras).

And no, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with a soda card.

Part of our entertainment on our Vision cruise was watching the guy at the next table devour MULTIPLE dinner entrees. Well, actually we didn't watch him eat, but we did check each night to see how many were delivered. His waiter was so heavy laden everyone was aware of it. I am talking about a true extreme - not someone ordering two entrees.

With me, it is occasionally two appetizers. That seems to be where I have the hardest time making a decision.

I still fail to see the comparison of asking for additional appetizers, entrees or desserts to sharing a coke card??:confused: I do, however, agree that being a glutton is also NOT ok. I DO believe that it is OK to ask for another item to eat as long as you eat it or share it. I have always seen this and my waiters have always encouraged it!:)

DH has occasionally ordered an extra entree that he shares with our SIL when they want to try something new. We have always tipped above and beyond the suggestions and made it worth their while for an occasional extra plate to carry.

Soda cards have nothing to do with your entrees.

I would be shocked if any server gave you the fish eye for anything you order. There's no problem ordering more than 1 item on the menu. Often, my entire meal consists of only starters. You'll love the Freedom. What a beautiful Dining Room! ~ LL

I was really disappointed on Princess the night my father tried to order a baked potatoe instead of the side on the menu. The waiter gave him a funny look that made others uncomfortable with making a special request and then told him that he really didn't want the baked potatoe, but should have the other side instead.

I am sure this is extremely rare, but it has made me a bit shy about special ordering things.

We've never had a problem ordering additional items on a Royal Caribbean cruise - and we have done it at some point on most trips. Sometimes I will order no starters at all and get an entree plus the vegetarian selection. On lobster night, DH automatically orders two. We would never order extras for the sake of playing games to see if the waiter will bring it. That's ridiculous.

On the other hand, one night on a Princess cruise (and we were seated at the Captain's table), they served lamb. DH asked the assistant waiter for mint jelly and was told that he would have to check with the waiter. The waiter went to the headwaiter who came to the table and said to DH, "You want me to go all the way back to the kitchen for that?" Needless to say, he got his mint jelly, but we never went back to Princess.

Archived