best things about Amsterdam

pisces1

In several months, we will be taking our first cruise on HAL. We have cruised on Norwegian, Celebrity and Cunard. Just wondering if anyone has any insights on what they liked about this ship and what is worth seeking out.

IMHO, the Explorations Cafe and Library. Beautiful layout, a marvelous selection of books, and a selection of specialty coffee/teas available for purchase (low prices) to enjoy while you peruse your book seated in a leather chair surrounded by a civilized, peaceful ambience. Spend some time browsing the shelves and enjoying the artwork.

The Club HAL facilities, and the Youth Program Director, Sarah Truax, should you be fortunate enough to have her on the cruise. Sarah has upbeat energy, lots of experience working with children, a kind heart, and runs a good children's/teens program.

We were on Amsterdam for the first time this past Jan. 15 to Feb. 16. It's a beautiful and comfortable ship with a wonderful crew.

Of all the great HAL ships we've been on, Amsterdam is right at the top. It has the warmth and charm of the S class ships with the advantage of the midship stairs and elevators. It also has the prettiest Pinnacle Grill of any of the HAL ships we've been on.

We were on Amsterdam Dec. 2006. To me the best thing about her was her looks. No matter what port.......she had the prettiest lines, was most classy. Most other ships looked like big shopping carts to me. I loved coming back to her after a shore excursion.

The "mariner's dream" beds are the best! Plus SIX pillows ranging from "soft" to "medium" to "firm" (chart included first night)!

Top notch staff.

On our recent cruise on the Amsterdam we had Table 34, Upper Level, Deck 5, Fontaine Dinning Room and it is a table for 6 over looking the aft main window. The view out of that back window is simply great. The table is in the middle of the ship and you can touch the stern window from the end seat of that table. The views leaving harbor or at sunset are awsome.

Highly recommend you get that table or assigned to one of the two tables to either side of it.

Go to HAL's web site and look at the deck plans and you will see what tables I am talking about.

Than ask for it. No demand it.:D

Archived