New Orleans Restaurant Review

RSF Cruiser

We just returned from five days in New Orleans and had great dinners at NOLA, Court of Two Sisters, The Gumbo Shop and K Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen (plus of course, beignets at Café du Monde).

NOLA: The food, service and ambiance were terrific. We ate on the second floor where it was a bit quieter. We had the stuffed chicken wings, and they were probably the best thing we ate the entire time. The wings are boned, and then stuffed with rice noodles and other asian food, deep fried, and then served with a hoison sauce… absolutely incredible. We also had the prix fixed menu with shrimp, grilled scallops, and mussels (three different dishes), and the filet with home made worchestershire sauce and garlic mashed potatoes. For dessert we had the chocolate hazelnut cake which was decadent. Other than the cost, everyone was wonderful…

Court of the Two Sisters: We ate inside since dinner was not being served in the courtyard. The service and food here were good to very good. We had turtle soup and gumbo – both were very good. We also had fried green tomatoes, and although it was good, we liked it better at K Paul’s. for entres we had the beef (rib eye steak?) with two kinds of sauces and fried cat fish. These were very good. And for dessert we had great bread pudding and ok pecan pie. The ambience is relaxing and the courtyard is delightful.

The Gumbo Shop: Lots of people write about the Gumbo Shop on this board. They have hearty New Orleans food. We got the typical dishes – one prix fixed meal and one ala cart; gumbo, jambalaya, shrimp creole, chicken esplanade, and bread pudding. All of it was good and the surroundings are fun.

K Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen: The quality of the food was right up there with NOLA, although the restaurant was hopping, a bit noisy, and the service was just ok. We had turtle soup, julienned duck with some kind of sauce, wonderful fried green tomatoes, and shrimp something or other. The food was a bit peppery, so if you like milder food, be sure to ask them to make it mild. For dessert we had white chocolate bread pudding and an incredible piece of sweet potato pecan pie.

Everything we had was delicious. Overall, NOLA was the best, followed by K Paul’s and then it’s a tie between Court of the Two Sisters and The Gumbo Shop. When we flew out, we got chicken jambalaya at the airport, and that was even good. The po’ boy we got at the airport wasn’t good – the only bad food we had the entire time.

And for those of you who get beignets, we ate them at Cafe du Monde and on another day we got them to go and ate them about 15 minutes later – they were still warm, but didn’t taste nearly as wonderful as when we ate them at the Café. And be sure to walk down to Aunt Sallie’s for pralines – hers are our favorite and they have samples there for you to try.

Bon Appetite!

We just returned from five days in New Orleans and had great dinners at NOLA, Court of Two Sisters, The Gumbo Shop and K Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen (plus of course, beignets at Café du Monde).

And for those of you who get beignets, we ate them at Cafe du Monde and on another day we got them to go and ate them about 15 minutes later – they were still warm, but didn’t taste nearly as wonderful as when we ate them at the Café. And be sure to walk down to Aunt Sallie’s for pralines – hers are our favorite and they have samples there for you to try.

Bon Appetite!

Thanks for the reviews. I have to say that the Court of Two Sisters was a surprise for me when we went there for their Jazz Brunch during Mardi Gras. I had eaten there before and wasn't impressed, so it wasn't my choice of places to go. The people I was with wanted to go, so we did. I was plesantly surprised with their brunch.

You have found the biggest secret about beignets - when they're fresh and hot they are heavenly, but once they cool off they aren't as good at all.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!!

Archived