Classic International Cruises

Rotterdam

Last week in St Maarten we sa a ship named Ariana from Classic Int'l Cruises...seems they are out of Australia - only in business about 2 years..anyone sail them???? They have older smaller ships...we were on HAL NOordam & wished we could of jumped over to Ariana!!!

Hi Rotterdam,

I believe the ship you are talking about is the 1965 built Arion, former Astra 1 and Istra. A small ship of about 6000 grt, and indeed the ship is sailing in Australian waters for Classic Int'l Cruises.

Unfortunately I have not sailed in this ship, but I sure would like to. I do enjoy the older classic ships.

Arion-bpic.jpg.af5936f56b3a91534f542dc07d316469.jpg

Thanks- yes that is her.......she was in St Barts when I first spotted her & then she tied up alongside us in ST Maarten.

I did find a website for the line but can't find info for 2008...

I too love teh old ships.....as I said we wanted to leave HAL NOORDAM for her!!!!

Actually, CIC is from Portugal and has been in business 21 years. They market their ships through subsidiaries in various countries including the UK, Australia and France, as well as chartering them out to various tour operators; for example UK-based Travelscope who currently charter the company flagship ATHENA.

Here is a very nice interview with company founder and Chairman George Potamianos.

The little ARION is the smallest ship in the fleet. She was built in 1965 as the ISTRA for the Yugoslav state shipping company Jadrolinija. Later she became ASTRA and then ASTRA I before being bought at auction by Mr. Potamianos in 1999. I know a few people who have been aboard and they say she is a very pleasant little ship. Her interiors are very modern since she was completely gutted and rebuilt in 1999-2000. This is in contrast to her sister DALMACIJA which is still Croatian-owned (though not by Jadrolinija, who got out of the cruise business a few years ago) and remains mostly in original condition.

The official CIC web site is here and the Australian site is here.

Archived