NCL Sunward II

Anyone remember this ship? First cruise I ever made was on her. Got the bug and went back 2 more times. Lot's of different ships and water under the keel since, but I think of her often and wonder what happened to her.

Happy Cruising!

Tanker4

SUNWARD II was the ship that is now the CORAL.

There were three ships called SUNWARD - the first and third had no numerals, though. The first was the original NCL ship, most recently in Asia as THE EMPRESS and scrapped a few years back, and the third was the ship that's now BOUDICCA.

• 3 months later...

That was our 1st cruise too back in 1991. I remember th entertainment was a lasy named Ivy Rose I think. Our waiter was Jerry. We had him 5 years later on the Wiindward in Alaska.

first time I ever gambled too.

Ferne

My only NCL cruise was aboard this ship, a 4 day Miami-Nassau-Freeport-Great Stirrup Cay-Miami itinerary. I had booked the next to bottom category of cabins, inside of course, not really expecting a great cruise experience. Upon disembarkation, I felt that this cruise was the best value of any cruise I had taken up to that time. The cabin was most satisfactory as was the service, cuisine, and the entertainment.

• 3 weeks later...
My only NCL cruise was aboard this ship, a 4 day Miami-Nassau-Freeport-Great Stirrup Cay-Miami itinerary. I had booked the next to bottom category of cabins, inside of course, not really expecting a great cruise experience. Upon disembarkation, I felt that this cruise was the best value of any cruise I had taken up to that time. The cabin was most satisfactory as was the service, cuisine, and the entertainment.

We meet again! :)

My 1st NCL was on this ship as well. Same itinerary, back in summer of 1979, I think.

From what I remember, she was a nice little thing. Good food, nice-sized cabin, etc. I guess back then, NCL was a real cruise line. Funny how things change.

But it's good to see that ship being put to good use.

From what I remember, she was a nice little thing. Good food, nice-sized cabin, etc. I guess back then, NCL was a real cruise line. Funny how things change.

Now then, if you haven't been on NCL since 1980 how do you know they're not a "real" cruise line now ;) ?

Freestyle may not be your thing but like it or not NCL is once again a serious contender in this business, in a way it has not been since the 1980s. (At least if you discount the US-flag Hawaiian thing which I thought was brave but ill-advised, and still do.) From what I have seen, today's NCL is a good company run by good people with good ships.

As for SUNWARD II, she was (is) a rather attractive little vessel. I remember seeing her in Curacao as TRITON in 1996 when I was on the SEAWARD. She looked smart in Epriotiki's tan livery. (Actually, I think she already had the Royal Olympic funnel logo at that time and indeed as I recall, ROC was formed in 1995). She looked good in white too. Never did see her in blue as ROC had her for some time, but from photos she was not bad looking that way either.

I guess I would say she is the third-best-looking NCL ship of all time after NORWAY (obviously) and SOUTHWARD.

Of course I think she looked best as CUNARD ADVENTURER, her styling having been done by James Gardiner of QE2 fame and together with QE2 (as built) and CUNARD AMBASSADOR, they made a very groovy matching set. Ever since then it has been aesthetically downhill for Cunard I'm afraid...

Now then, if you haven't been on NCL since 1980 how do you know they're not a "real" cruise line now ;) ?

Freestyle may not be your thing but like it or not NCL is once again a serious contender in this business, in a way it has not been since the 1980s.

Well, you know me .... "Never say never" :D ;)

I might try the freestyle stuff that NCL offers. Now that they're the only line out of NY to Bermuda, I just might have to get used to what they offer.

Archived