W Carribbean Questions

My family & I are going on RCCL's Legend OTS March 17 - 24th. There are 7 of us (including our 2.5 year old daughter). We are going to the following places:

Grand Cayman

Cozumel / Playa del Carmen

Belize / Belize City

Costa Maya

We have some questions of you more experienced cruisers -- any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Belize -- 2 Questions:

My brother-in-law and I are going to do the Lost World Canopy Tour. The cruise line charges $99 pp -- are there independent operators where we can get this cheaper?

The rest of the family wants to go to a beach or do something else. Is it easy to get to a good beach from the docks in Belize City? How expensive is it? If a beach is not close, what else is there to do?

Cozumel / Playa del Carmen --

The Mayan Ruins of Tulum -- again, the cruise wants $79 pp which for the 7 of us would be $560 -- do you think it's easy to get a taxi driver to take us there and back cheaper?

Sunscreen / Sunblock --

A friend of mine said that beach officials will take your sunscreen / sunblock away if it is not biodegradeable -- is this true? If we need to get something biodegradeable, can any of you recommend a brand

Mayan Ruins

We were thinking of Tulum but wanted people's input as to ruins that are easy to see, interesting, and not too time consuming. Definitely want to see some for the photo opportunities but don't want to spend an entire time in a port traveling to and from ruins.

Snorkeling

Places that you can recommend for snorkeling if you bring your own snorkeling equipment

Boarding

How early do you think we can get on board the boat? We sail at 5 pm and they said not to arrive before 1 pm but I could have sworn on our cruise last year we were able to get on earlier. We have to check out of our hotel well before then and have nowhere to go with all our luggage

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN ANSWER ANY (or ALL) OF THESE QUESTIONS!!!

We have some questions of you more experienced cruisers -- any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.

The Mayan Ruins of Tulum -- again, the cruise wants $79 pp which for the 7 of us would be $560 -- do you think it's easy to get a taxi driver to take us there and back cheaper?

Sunscreen / Sunblock --

A friend of mine said that beach officials will take your sunscreen / sunblock away if it is not biodegradeable -- is this true? If we need to get something biodegradeable, can any of you recommend a brand

Mayan Ruins

We were thinking of Tulum but wanted people's input as to ruins that are easy to see, interesting, and not too time consuming. Definitely want to see some for the photo opportunities but don't want to spend an entire time in a port traveling to and from ruins.

Boarding

How early do you think we can get on board the boat? We sail at 5 pm and they said not to arrive before 1 pm but I could have sworn on our cruise last year we were able to get on earlier. We have to check out of our hotel well before then and have nowhere to go with all our luggage

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN ANSWER ANY (or ALL) OF THESE QUESTIONS!!!

I will try to answer all I can!

--That actually is not a bad price for the Mayan Ruins. We did it once. It was a LONG day, but it was well worth it if you are into history or just curious to see what it is like. I'm not much for history, but it was good to do once and see what there is to see. I would go for it, but keep in mind that it is a very long day and it is going to be very very hot!

Sunscreen / Sunblock --

--I have never heard of that. They have never checked mine :confused: . We always just bring Coppertone SPF 4 and 15. But like I said, I have never been checked in any of the ports and we usually go to the beach if at all possible!

Mayan Ruins

--Like I said before, you will be gone most of the day, depending on which tour you do. We did it when we were on the Imagination. Our tour left at 11:00 AM and we got back to the ship just as the ship was about to leave Cozumel at 8:00 PM. We literally had to run to the ship to avoid being left behind.

Boarding

--I always arrive at the port between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. I have never been onboard later than 11:45. I wouldn't get there before 10:30- they just aren't set up for arriving passengers yet and you will have a mess on your hands.

Hope that helps. Have a great cruise!

thanks!!! If you had to do any ruins in the area which port would you choose? Are there any that we could spend maybe 2-3 hours at rather than a long long long day?

I can hardly remember anything about it except being at Tulum and thinking it was really incredible that they had a civilization like that all those years ago! I don't know of any that Royal Caribbean offers, but they may have added some since my last cruise that stopped in Cozumel (Navigator in June).

I will try to answer all I can!
And I'll add MY comments in PURPLE! ;)

--That actually is not a bad price for the Mayan Ruins. We did it once. It was a LONG day, but it was well worth it if you are into history or just curious to see what it is like. I'm not much for history, but it was good to do once and see what there is to see. I would go for it, but keep in mind that it is a very long day and it is going to be very very hot!

In Cozumel, you are on an island. To go to Tulum involves a ferry ride to the mainland and a long bus ride. Go with the ship. You don't want to take even the slightest risk of not getting back to the ship on time! :eek:
Sunscreen / Sunblock --

--I have never heard of that. They have never checked mine :confused: . We always just bring Coppertone SPF 4 and 15. But like I said, I have never been checked in any of the ports and we usually go to the beach if at all possible!

This is true in environmentally protected parks. I don't know for sure which parks this includes, but YES, it is true some places.
Boarding

--I always arrive at the port between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. I have never been onboard later than 11:45. I wouldn't get there before 10:30- they just aren't set up for arriving passengers yet and you will have a mess on your hands.

Agree completely.

Belize -- 2 Questions:

My brother-in-law and I are going to do the Lost World Canopy Tour. The cruise line charges $99 pp -- are there independent operators where we can get this cheaper?

The rest of the family wants to go to a beach or do something else. Is it easy to get to a good beach from the docks in Belize City? How expensive is it? If a beach is not close, what else is there to do?

In Belize, it is best to stick with ship's excursions for safety and timing reasons. The ship anchors out pretty far, and you have a long tender ride in. If you take a ship's excursion, you get on a tender going directly to your destination, which is particularly important if it is in a different direction than the tourist pier.

In Grand Cayman, you can all easily do an excursion together, with an independent tour operator. There are quite a few good ones there: Nativeway, Captain Bryan, Captain Marvin.

March 2005 I was in Belize with NCL. My mom, daughter and I did a tour to Laminai (Mayan Ruins). A very long day...I don't think your 2.5 yr old would enjoy it. We were warned by the CD on the ship that there weren't nice sandy beaches nearby and that if we wanted to go to a beach in Belize, we should sign up for an excursion for one. I didn't see any sandy beaches on our tour. I did talk to someone later who went on a beach excursion...she loved it...they went to a small island.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful time:)

Archived