40-something couples

Scoob11

We're looking for a luxury Mediterranean cruise that would be largely couples (since we'd be traveling without children) with average age in the 40's (predominantly in 30's through 50's). Any suggestions on good cruise lines to consider? We'd also prefer a smaller or mid-size ship to a very large ship. Thanks.

Hi:

Dh and I are late 40s, no kids and usually find Celebrity perfect in this way. With the exception of our last cruise on the Zenith which was predominently an elderly population (60 plus) all our cruises todate have been ideal for yours and ours age group.

That said, we always travel outside of school breaks too.

Our cousins, mid 40s and no kids, have tried both Celebrity and RCI and prefer RCI. They have found RCI to have more of a party like crowd to the Celebrity mix. We liked RCI too but prefer Celebrity - maybe because we are not big social/party folks perhaps. On both cruises though we met lots of other mid 40ish couples, no kids.

If you want much higher end or more luxurious cruises, perhaps others can help you.

If you're traveling in the summer, it's going to be hard to find a cruiseline without any kids on it unless you do one of the really high end lines. Princess is offering a new Egypt/Aegean Sea (along with other cruises) this summer with the Royal, which has 600 (or so) passenger. They're also doing several others on the Star, Emerald and Grand.

Have you checked with a TA yet? At least it would give you a place to start. If you want really small, have you considered Paul Gauguin? They are also pretty exclusively adult, but I don't know their itineraries. Might want to check with them.

Charlie

Arcadia would be my top choice, followed by Regent then Oceania.

Celebrity has started attracting more families and school vacations are a time when you will encounter the most. I would not do it.

My first priority personally when choosing a cruise is to avoid kids and teens. Price point, lack of facilities for kids and season are all points to consider.

Some lines these days have lots of kids aboard even when school is in session, as I experienced in early December while on RCI. It was everything I hate about mass market cruising:(, even during a week known for being fairly safe from families travelling.

Stay away from the big ships and the mass market lines and you will likely be pleased.

Archived