Which motion sickeness meds do you recommend?

KAWS

We're travelling from Ontario and the only motion sickness (we want to use it as preventative) that we can get is Gravol which makes me sleep big time. I don't want to drug up and sleep my cruise away!

We're flying into Tampa the day ahead and will be doing a soda/water/wine run and want to add this medication to our "stash". I've seen a few kinds talked about on these boards but I don't know which would be the best? I want one that's NON drowsy for sure. Also people talk about ginger tablets. Do you get those in the drugstore as well? I think there's a Walgreens near our hotel. Would this be a good place to get motion medication? Can you buy (good) wine there too? (haha Gotta love the concept of booze buying at the grocery stores! Can't do that here.)

Kim

Walgreens is more of a drug store than a grocery store, although it does carry some food items. I have never seen wine there.

My husband uses meclizine for motion sickness, and takes it at night, so that if there is any drowsiness, it happens when he's sleeping.

I take one Bonine every morning with breakfast. You can get it at any drug store. It has never made me sleepy and I am a real lightweight.

You can also take a second one at night if there are really high seas...although I have never had to.

KAWS,

In Ontario you can get Bonine. It is available in the States in both the regular and the generic. Meclizine, mentioned by Andee, is the generic but often it is not in stock, It must be ordered.

I use it and take it beginning the night prior to sailing. I have used it for the Drake Passage. It works well but take it in advance. I believe that the Purser's desk carries some too. (No charge).

Fran

I take one Bonine every morning with breakfast. You can get it at any drug store. It has never made me sleepy and I am a real lightweight.

You can also take a second one at night if there are really high seas...although I have never had to.

I have taken mine in the evening and also Am - either works great!.

Thanks for the tip about taking two. If we do a NY departure I might need to do this!:eek:

Walgreens is more of a drug store than a grocery store, although it does carry some food items. I have never seen wine there.

My husband uses meclizine for motion sickness, and takes it at night, so that if there is any drowsiness, it happens when he's sleeping.

Walgreens will have wine in it here in Florida.

We're travelling from Ontario and the only motion sickness (we want to use it as preventative) that we can get is Gravol which makes me sleep big time. I don't want to drug up and sleep my cruise away!

We're flying into Tampa the day ahead and will be doing a soda/water/wine run and want to add this medication to our "stash". I've seen a few kinds talked about on these boards but I don't know which would be the best? I want one that's NON drowsy for sure. Also people talk about ginger tablets. Do you get those in the drugstore as well? I think there's a Walgreens near our hotel. Would this be a good place to get motion medication? Can you buy (good) wine there too? (haha Gotta love the concept of booze buying at the grocery stores! Can't do that here.)

Kim

I take Ginger capsules for motion sickness as well as general nausea. You can purchase capsules in a drug store, most larger grocery store, health food store or through mail order. I usually take 2-3 capsules every couple of hours and they do the trick. They work quickly an have no side effects. You can also purchase a liquid extract but for traveling, the capsules will be most likely easier. Have a great trip and cruise!!

People, please be very careful. You know yourself best. My husband and I took one Bonine tablet each one time when we went sailing. A big storm came up and I was so "out of it", that while my husband and friend were securing the sail boat and trying to get to land as safe as possible, I was kicking back and saying "wow, what a beautiful day!". When we got home, my husband and I slept for 14 hours straight!!!!! So, be careful as drugs effect everyone differently. I am going to try the ginger capsule for our next cruise to see if it works for us. We have used sea bands that use accupressure to control motion sickness with success on my huband's part and sometimes on mine. Good luck every one! :D

People, please be very careful. You know yourself best. My husband and I took one Bonine tablet each one time when we went sailing. A big storm came up and I was so "out of it", that while my husband and friend were securing the sail boat and trying to get to land as safe as possible, I was kicking back and saying "wow, what a beautiful day!". When we got home, my husband and I slept for 14 hours straight!!!!! So, be careful as drugs effect everyone differently. I am going to try the ginger capsule for our next cruise to see if it works for us. We have used sea bands that use accupressure to control motion sickness with success on my huband's part and sometimes on mine. Good luck every one! :D

Opps, sorry for the double post! I hate when that happens. By the way, it just so happens that at the drugstore today I saw some new Bonine and Dramamine boxes that said "New less drozey doses" or something to that effect.

I take Meclazine as I have vertigo. However, I have taken it only once last year when the CB was rockin and a rollin. I felt like I was going to have morning sickness one morning. My DH said how about taking one of those pills. I did and I was ready to motivate the rest of the day. I never even took it for my vertigo as it was non existant. Must have something to do with the sea air.:D

I too will try the ginger next time. The bands don't do anything for me. I found that 1/2 a Bonine every morning (more than that and I'm out) does it for me and if I start to feel the rocking I take another half.

Meclizine has always worked for me! I start taking it a day prior to the cruise and continue throughout the cruise. One with breakfast, one with dinner. And it does not make me drowsy. Haven't cruised in a while, so I'm not certain if it's carried the way it used to be...but I used to pick it up at Walmart or Target in the pharmacy department (it did not require a prescription). A large bottle was less than $10.

Another vote for the ginger capsules. My husband gets very sea sick so on our 1st cruise which was Feb 18 he took ginger 1st thing in the morning and once in the evening. No sign of illness. I don't usually get sea sick but one rough day I felt a little jittery stomach so took the ginger too and voila, fine as can be. Not very scientific but was our experience.:)

We will be traveling to the Caribbean in April. Our first Cruise so I don't know if I will have problems with seasickness. My doctor prescribed the patch. I don't like to take meds unless I really have to. I would like to wait and see how I do. If I feel the beginnings of nausea, could I take a bonine to settle it quickly and then use the patch for the rest of the time? Any other advice is welcome.

Archived