Blue Mountain coffee suggestions?

firefly333

I love Blue Mountain coffee and hope to purchase some while Im in Jamica.

I did read a thread with mixed reviews on Jablum brand, one liked it and one did not.

Yes, I am aware to look for the word "blend" and know a blend can be less than 10% of the type such as Blue Mountain and to make sure I get pure Blue Mountain and the beans not the ground.

I did find some awesome coffee in Honduras and hope to find some execellent Blue Mountain in Jamaica....the pure stuff, not blends. Someone on the other thread said to shop in a local grocery store.

Any other suggestions??

I just got back from Jamaica a couple of weeks ago and I bought my Jablum coffee at a grocery store. It is my understanding that Jablum is the very best. Personally, I don't drink coffee, bought it for my husband, and he absolutely loves it. :)

I just got back from Jamaica a couple of weeks ago and I bought my Jablum coffee at a grocery store. It is my understanding that Jablum is the very best. Personally' date=' I don't drink coffee, bought it for my husband, and he absolutely loves it. :)[/color']

I also want to buy some Blue Mountain Coffee while in Montego Bay. Where is the grocery store and what's the name? Is it in Montego Bay? Thanks.

Thanks for any information. I know you can get Jablum and some others on ebay. There should be a few other good brands of Blue Mountain, but I agree with the other thread about being careful. Many on ebay are blends, with very little Blue Mountain, I do know to read the package.

I will look for a grocery store too, if anyone has directions to a grocery store near the port or a excursion Id still appreciate the info.

I will not be there until late October.

One other question. Several posters have said that they paid $15 or $20 for a bag, but I did not see how much the bag weighed. Could you post the price for 1 lb, or if its 8 oz, please post the weight with the size bag if you bought some. Bags here are often 12 oz even. So knowing how much the bag weighed would be helpfull.

Some say buy whole beans the ground tasted like dirt. It's my opinion that they might have bought a blend, not 100% Blue Mountain. 100% Blue Mountain will say so on the label, a blend will say so too. Read the package carefully. You can go to ebay and type in Blue Mountain and get an idea of brands, like Jablum and Wallenford. Even the expensive brands put out blends. Read some of the ebay Blue Mountain auctions and look at the pkg very carefully and you will see probably more than half are blends. If it doesnt say 100% Blue Mountain on the label, dont buy it.

Blends are a problem with all the expensive coffee's they might have 5% of the type of coffee on the label and 95% Arabica beans from S. America. You can get cheap arabica beans at any grocery store here, so I would not bother bringing back a blend. Just me.

Blue Mountain has a smell that is unique, it smells heavenly. Not that many years ago, before the age of ebay and internet, Blue Mountain coffee used to go for $50 to over $100 a pound.

I got a reply from Orville Taylor today about touring a coffee plantation. I got his email from another thread here and asked him if it was feasible to go to a coffee plantation, he will take you on custom tours. I had done searches on google and here on CC and had not come up with any coffee plantation tours, just fruit types of plantations nearer the port. So I emailed him asking about a custom tour and he said yes it can be done.

Any large grocery store that caters to a mix of tourists and local residents (primarily of the upper middle and above class) will have packaged Blue Mountain coffee. The most common brands are Jablum, Wallenford, and Coutnry Trader. As mentioned in other posts, Jablum is viewed as the brand being most consistant in flavor and overall quality.

Small 'mom and pop' type grocery stores or 'side walk shops' will have instant coffee...made here in Jamaica, will be ground crystals or powder, and is the High Mountain variety.

The average Jamaican family will not have coffee makers or grinders, which is why the prevalence of instant coffee, and why one must seek out the beans especially in a store where the local clientele would be able to afford the specialized kitchen equipment.

Here in Negril, a one pound bag of ground (Jablum) goes for about $17 and the one pound bag of beans goes for $18.

For those of you who take cream and sugar in your coffee (or even tea!), do yourself a favor a buy a bottle (or two, or three...you won't be sorry!) of the Sangster's brand (World's End is the same company) Rum Creme...it comes in Original (a toffee/caramel taste), Banana, Coconut, Rum/Raisin and Leechee Nut flavors...use a healthy shot of this in your morning coffee or tea instead of the cream and sugar and see if you don't want to make return trips to Jamaica just to pick up more...or if given as a gift, if the gift recipients don't suggest to you that you make another trip back here to replenish their supply....smooth, velvety, completely awesome, the Rum Creme can also be sipped straight (warm...does wonders on a cold winter night) or chilled on ice, used as a topper on ice cream or in blended drinks.

For those of you who hate Monday mornings...keep a small flask of the Rum Creme in your desk drawer, add a shot to your Monday cup, and see if the office isn't a more pleasant place to be than it's been in a long while. ;)

The alcohol content of the Rum Creme is only 17%, not enough to get you buzzed, just enough to put a smile on your face. There is no limit to the number of bottles you can bring back into America, unlike the more potent straight rums.

There are other rum cream brands, but Sangster's is by far the top of the line.

Firefly, I've never been on a Caribbean cruise, so am not sure of ship's rules regarding alcohol...I didn't know you had to give it up until reaching home port...maybe they want to be sure you drink your fill of liquor that has to be paid for on the ship rather than bringing your own from each port??

Forgot to mention in my post, that for people docking in MoBay, the Super Plus grocery store is right up the street from the cruise ship terminal, will definitely carry coffee, and any taxi driver/tour company will know where this large store is.

For discounts on coffee if buying in bulk there, you may want to check with the store manager first before getting to the check out stand. US dollars will be accepted in this store.

Souvenir shops might also discount if buying in bulk...markup on coffee is small, so it may not be more than a dollar to dollar and a half per bag depending on quantity. Here in Negril, I actually get my coffee, rum creme, cigarettes, spices etc. from a gift shop..the owner charges the same prices as my local grocery stores, but without the 16.5% sales tax...and every little bit of savings does help!

Ouch on the 16.5% sales tax. I thought it was bad here at 8.75%

Yes, when you go back on board from a port they scan everything you bring back on board. If its liquor they hold it until the last night. I have heard some suggesting things like putting it into a water bottle to smuggle it back on board if you want to drink it during the cruise. I actually had a vendor in the port suggest this to me for some cashew wine.

My only objection is Im afraid I will get held up buying booze in a port and having to wait for it to be delivered to my cabin, I do the early express walk off and like to beat the crowds.

Thanks for the tips on how to buy coffee in Jamaica. There is no coffee that smells as good as Blue Mountain brewing. Just open the bag and smell it.

btw, that High Mountain you mentioned...how does that compare to Blue Mountain? I ran across it when I did a search for tours of Coffee Plantations.

Archived