feedback on Mariner Feb 24 2007 & new RCCL rules

we just returned from a week on Mariner in Carib - our second RCCL cruise but first for our 9 year old daughter

cruise was GREAT, weather fantastic (80's and 90's and sun every day)

- we brought some wine with us and took a bottle to dinner and were told that is no longer allowed - no corkage program

- only other downside was no one else ever showed up at our table of 8 so we ate alone

- shows were fantastic - especially Goucho the singer/comedian

- 300 kids this week - 800 last week

- ate twice at Chops - fantastic food and service

- Mariner has Jade - a section of asian food in Windjammer that was great including sushi every night

- kids program was great

- Spent a lot of time at the Conniseur Club - cigar room very empty - best kept secret on ship. Make sure to visit and meet Dillon and Peter they are great

- Capt. Johnny very funny

- Laberdee was great beach day

- Scuba in Cuzumel fantastic. incredible #'s of fish, great wall dive and drift dive

- my wife and daughter did submarine in Coz. no visibility and few fish. Cruise line gave them full refund without even asking!

- Dolphin swim and climbing the falls in Jamaica was great!

- Snorkelling and sting ray city in Grand Cayman fantastic

- RCCL now offers a deal to have your luggage taken straight to airport and hecked in on flight for $15 pp

will definitely do another RCCL cruise!

- RCCL now offers a deal to have your luggage taken straight to airport and hecked in on flight for $15 pp

Is this for any airline, or only if you fly American? I thought this was only offered for people with flights on American Airlines.

Thanks for the other info!

Glad you had a nice cruise for the most part.

If you bring a wine that they do not serve, is this still allowed? Used to this was permitted, even w/o the corkage fee (or so I think I remember reading). What if it was a gift sent to your cabin from your TA? Still not allowed?

yes Becky was CD - very funny and a bundle of energy

the luggage deal was offered for several airlines - don't remember them all - did include Delta

wine - I'm sure if you bought it on board it was fine. Last year on Voyager they let you bring your own wine (smuggled) and charged $18 corkage (sometimes waiter ignored fee). This time we were told by mgr that since you are not supposed to bring your own wine on board there is no longer a corkage fee. he did make an exception since we had brought it. we just drank the others on our balcony (and bought a lot of booze on ship)

Hollis,

We're booked on the Mariner next year on a B 2 B for 2 weeks. Which airport (or airports) did they offer the luggage program for? On our Freedom cruise last month out of Miami, our flight left before noon, so we could not take advantage of it. as it turned out, it would have saved us about 2 hours in line for check-in. I'm hoping they offer it for MCO out of Canaveral.

we just returned from a week on Mariner in Carib - our second RCCL cruise but first for our 9 year old daughter

- Spent a lot of time at the Conniseur Club - cigar room very empty - best kept secret on ship. Make sure to visit and meet Dillon and Peter they are great

HollisNH,

Did you notice if they are still playing poker in the Conniseur Club? Older Cruise Compasses shows that poker is played every night.

manager (Dillon) said we could do anything we wanted to in the club - poker, etc. no quetions asked. They had a large screen TV, great leather chairs and excellent service. Room has 4 very expensive air fiteration systems - there was very little smoke in the air. Our wives (non-smoking) sat in there several times and did not complain about the smoke.

Could you please tell me more about the dolphin swim. Was this in Jamaica or Cozumel? I am interested in the dolphin swim with my 10 year old son but would like more information. Also, was the climb of the falls difficult for a child? Thanks for the feedback.

luv2read

luv2read-I don't know about the dolphins, but the falls are definitely a doable thing for 10 year olds. It will give him/her a good sense of accomplishment. Heck, I'm 35 and it gave me one!! When we were there in Dec. there were people from about 4-80 there climbing, the older people were having a tough go at it, but the young kids were like monkeys climbing the falls and they seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

manager (Dillon) said we could do anything we wanted to in the club - poker, etc. no quetions asked. They had a large screen TV, great leather chairs and excellent service. Room has 4 very expensive air fiteration systems - there was very little smoke in the air. Our wives (non-smoking) sat in there several times and did not complain about the smoke.

We were on the Mariner last June, and I don't remember seeing the connoisseur club. Where is it located?

luv2read-I don't know about the dolphins, but the falls are definitely a doable thing for 10 year olds. It will give him/her a good sense of accomplishment. Heck, I'm 35 and it gave me one!! When we were there in Dec. there were people from about 4-80 there climbing, the older people were having a tough go at it, but the young kids were like monkeys climbing the falls and they seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

Yes, and they are fearless, too. They will blithely do all the extra stuff: going down little falls, falling backwards into a pool into the guide's arms...........I am proud that I made it all the way to the top, but there is no way I was going to place myself in additional jeopardy!!! :eek: :)

we did the Dolphin swim (not to be confused with a Dolphin encounter which you do not get in the water) in Jamaica. It was great. we would do it again in a heartbeat. my 9 year old daughter was not scared at all and loved it. You get with a group of 8-12 people (multiple groups) with a leader, swim about 50 yards across the cove to where your trainer and your dolphion are. The dolphin does a bunch of tricks and swims by you a couple dozen times so you can pet them and get a kiss from then (for their camera of course). The dolphins are so playful and friendly - they have as much fun as you. 30 minutes later you are out and in the gift shop to buy those photos.

We did climb Dunns Falls and it was NOT what we expected. We thought we were hiking up the side of a large waterfall.... No NO - you walk right up the midle of these steep falls in water 1-3 feet deep - in a row holding hands so as not to fall. It was very challenging and not for the faint of heart. That said there were many people in their 60's that made it and kids as young as 8. it takes 45 minutes to walk up. I enjoyed it - but my wife and daughter were intimidated at first and did finsish it.

SkiCruiser,

Formal nights are Monday and Thursday. We were on same cruise last week. We went to Chops on Tuesday. If you like the Lobster, you don't want to miss Friday night in the dining room. Poolside party and midnight buffet was held on Tuesday night (11:30 - 12:30) and Gala Buffet on Thursday night.

SkiCruiser - According to my Compass, Wednesday was designated as Smart Casual or "Colorful Caribbean Attire."

OliverTheCat - They do the Dancing Under the Stars Deck Party (Poolside) on Wed. night (I am correcting myself from previous post - sorry!) Had to get the Compass out and recheck it :eek: I am not sure whether or not it is Mexican food, though - we didn't make it to this one.

Dining room food was pretty good; at least better than I cook here at home!:D If you want really good dining, try Chops or Portofino - I highly recommend both.

Archived