wireless interet costs?

The wireless cost are the same as the internet cafe, 50 cents a minute or you can buy packages, that can bring the price down to about 33 cents a minute, and then you may have to rent a card from them, not sure now that works as we didnt need to, we decided to do the cybercabin, which is dial up that you connect in your cabin, for unlimited amount of $100. , on the wireless, you have to find the hot spots, and it did not work in the cabin, . hope this helps

From RC website, FAQ, Life Onboard:

Cyber Cabin

Unlimited Internet dial-up access from the privacy of your stateroom. A special kits is required - available at the Guest Relations Desk on a first come, first serve basis.

A kit is simply a box containing the following:

1. Telephone with a digital to analog converter

2. Telephone cables

3. Power supply

4. Instruction sheet

Note: Without the telephone, you will not be able to dial up via a laptop modem.

You will need the following:

Windows based operating system

Internal modem

dial-up Internet capabilities

The cost for a 7-night cruise is $100.00 USD for unlimited access.

Price is subject to change without notice.

Available onboard, Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, *Brilliance of the Seas, *Radiance of the Seas *Jewel of the Seas, and *Serenade of the Seas.

*Kits are not required.

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

Guests who do not have a wireless ready laptop may obtain a wireless card at the Guest Relations desk.

Rental Fee of the card is as follows:

Card $10.00 per day or $50 per voyage - 7 nights and longer

Damage Insurance $2.00 per day

Lost/Damaged Card Fee $250.00

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.50 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$25.00 for 60 minutes

$35.00 for 90 minutes

$50.00 for 150 minutes

These prices are in addition to the rental of the card for those guests who do not have a wireless ready laptop.

All prices are subject to change without notice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wireless and dial up on my laptop. Did you use the dial up from your room. Was it excrutiatingly slow? If you have dial up from your room can you still use hot spots with your wireless? Carnival Liberty has high speed wireless in all staterooms and I thought the pricing was a bargain. HAL West and Oost both have hot spots but they are in weird places and I thought they were very slow which makes it more expensive in the long run.

I used the unlimited cyber cabin service last week. It was great. I also had to check flights constantly, as we fly stand by.

however, for printing you would need to go to the internet cafe and use there terminals and printers.

I found the cyber cabin to work great. My kids even posted to there "my space" pages, and we could instant message with friends and family.

It did rasp my carcass when they wouldn't take my $7.50 internet coupon

that was in my platinum booklet. They told me it was only for WI-FI:mad:

we decided to do the cybercabin, which is dial up that you connect in your cabin, for unlimited amount of $100.

I don't want to assume too much here, but it seems simple enough; if you access from your cabin via dial-up (even thought it's a digital to analog conversion) it's dial-up speed, correct?

I don't want to assume too much here, but it seems simple enough; if you access from your cabin via dial-up (even thought it's a digital to analog conversion) it's dial-up speed, correct?

I found the answer to my own question on another post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?=514445&highlight=internet

• 4 months later...

So they have an unlimited package you can buy but it has to be in their internet cafe and use their computers BUT in the rooms with your own laptop you can't buy an unlimited package, you have to pay by the minute?

If you use Vista you will not be able to use the "cyber cabin". (EOS) I even had a problem with WiFi. I had to resort to dial up in the internet room. VERY SLOW. The only time that I did not have a problem with it was at 1:00 AM.

So they have an unlimited package you can buy but it has to be in their internet cafe and use their computers BUT in the rooms with your own laptop you can't buy an unlimited package, you have to pay by the minute?

No, cyber cabin is in your room with your computer using a kit they provide along with a 44.6 KBaud dial up connection. That's the only unlimited package RCL provides. If you use their equipment, you pay for it with the by the minute or package rates.

I think I get it now, My laptop is wireless, I use it wireless at home. So I just need to pay the $100 and I do not need the kit, because it is wireless already.

Correct?

Sorry for all the questions.

If your laptop is wireless, you need to go and set up an account on the ships desktop computer, then you are able to buy your package and use your laptop in your cabin without any special equipment.

It is slow, nothing highspeed about it lol. Its worked for me on EOS, MOS, FOS the others I can't speak for.

I think I get it now, My laptop is wireless, I use it wireless at home. So I just need to pay the $100 and I do not need the kit, because it is wireless already.

Correct?

Sorry for all the questions.

No to get the unlimited, you need the kit, it connects through your modem and plugs into a port on the dresser in the room, it does not connect using wireless. If you want to use wireless, then you pay by the min., you can buy packages of mins to bring the cost down, wireless is not normally available in the cabins, unless you are lucky enough to have a cabin very close to a hot spot.

We need to confirm our flights back to the UK while on board the Explorer and print our boarding cards off, will we be able to do that while at sea?:confused:

We will need to do the same. How much will this cost us?

• Administrators
If you use Vista you will not be able to use the "cyber cabin". (EOS) I even had a problem with WiFi. I had to resort to dial up in the internet room. VERY SLOW. The only time that I did not have a problem with it was at 1:00 AM.

Darn! This figures, just bought a new laptop and it came with the dreaded Vista..............

Laura

Archived