Atlantis sub vs. semi-submersible boat excursions?

Paula_MacFan

We did the semi-submersible in Cozumel and overall didn't enjoy it. The semi-submersible used is the Nautlius 35 design, which has a row of square port-hole type windows and a pull down seat in front of each window. There is a narrow staircase going downstairs into the submarine and the passengers go single file down one of two aisles until the first passenger in the line goes to the end. Then you turn around, pull down your seat, and sit in front of the window. There is a fairly good view and you do see a fair amount of fish. But you really can only see out of your window and, if you lean over a bit, some of the windows on each side. However, you are sitting elbow to elbow with the other passengers, it is very tight, and when we went, it was warm inside (there was some air conditioning, but not enough with all of the passengers in the tight space). Our excursion was full and it felt like being packed in like sardines. I am not a big person and I found it to be uncomfortably close. The other people in our party are bigger and found it to be very uncomfortable.

I understand that the Atlantis submarine is built differently. We haven't done that excursion, so I can't tell you anything about that one. We did something similar at Grand Cayman and really enjoyed it. It went about 100 feet down and was much more spacious and comfortable inside. We also did the Nautllis semi-submersible in Grand Cayman, which uses the Nautilus 100 design. This design is very spacious and has large picture windows. I recommend that if you want to do the semi-submersible you do it at Grand Cayman. Perhaps some others can tell you more about the Atlantis submarine at Cozumel.

Do the submarine. We did it in June 2003 and loved it I haven't done the semi sub, but I don't see how it could possibly compare to going as deep as 100 ft. to see the reefs. The semi sub sounds like what you would see while doing snorkleing or snuba.

That is true that the deeper you go, the harder it is to see the fish and reefs. We did the deep sea exploration submarine that only holds three other people and the operator (seating similar to a helicopter). We went down several hundred feet, but even with the light from the submarine, it was very difficult to see anything. This was several hundred dollars and I think was a waste of money in terms of what we saw.

While we didn't do the Atlantis submarine in Cozumel, we did do it in Grand Cayman. The 90 to 100 feet dept was much better because there was still sufficient light to be able to see. The water clarity might be different in Cozumel, so I think you do need to get this information from someone who did the excursion in Cozumel.

• 2 months later...

Archived