Florence on Monday Museums and Shops Closed?

We are due to dock in Florence on a Monday in November. I've read that the museums are closed and many shops are also not open--very disappointing. Has anyone visited Florence on a Monday? What did you do? Any shopping? I've also read that Lucca is a charming town to visit as an alternative, but do the same rules apply re: shops and museums being closed on Monday? Any help is appreciated!

We are due to dock in Florence on a Monday in November. I've read that the museums are closed and many shops are also not open--very disappointing. Has anyone visited Florence on a Monday? What did you do? Any shopping? I've also read that Lucca is a charming town to visit as an alternative, but do the same rules apply re: shops and museums being closed on Monday? Any help is appreciated!

First,do a search on this board as this question gets asked all the time and I really do not know why.There is plenty to do in Florence and not all the museums are closed,the shops are open and there is plenty to see as noted in other posts.Monday is a normal day in Florence!!!You will have much to do and see.

I'm currently planning a trip to Florence and I have to admit that all the odd hours and closings were giving me a bit of a headache!

The following museums are closed in Florence on Mondays:

The Uffizi Gallery

The Accademia (where Michelangelo's David resides)

The Medici Chapels (some Mondays but not all...)

However, these (as well as most churches) are open:

The Duomo and Duomo Museum

The Museum of San Marco (Fra Angelico frescos)

The Bargello (Renaissance sculpturein medieval prison; closes around 2pm)

Some shops may be closed on Monday mornings, but most will open later in the day.

Having said all this, I have heard that if you book an excursion through the ship, oftentimes museums are "open" for these groups. Check with your cruiseline to find out for sure.

The Uffizi and Accademia are, imo, the best 2 sites in Florence, so it is unfortunate that they will be closed. But the Duomo is still very impressive.

In Lucca, there aren't really any museums that are major attractions--the basic attraction is walking around the city walls and enjoying a relaxing day, so if you were going to Lucca I wouldn't worry about things being closed.

Thank you all for your responses and ideas. I feel much better knowing that a visit to Florence will still allow us to appreciate the beauty of the city and some of the museums.:D

We spent 3 days in Florence last August and it is a beautiful city. Every time we tried to go to the Duomo the queue was a mile long so we only saw the outside. Pity the Uffizi and Galerie Academia are closed but in 1 day you would not do them justice. It is lovely just looking at all the beautiful buildings and the Ponte Vecchio. Enjoy your day.:)

Archived