Galveston debarkation 2008?

missingmaui

Does anyone know if Princess will still be sailing out of Galveston in Spring 2008? I searched the forum and Princess' website, but couldn't find anything out of Galveston. :confused: We were planning on NCL out of New Orleans in March 2008, but I've heard such great things about Princess. Any help out there? Thanks!

Does anyone know if Princess will still be sailing out of Galveston in Spring 2008? I searched the forum and Princess' website, but couldn't find anything out of Galveston. :confused: We were planning on NCL out of New Orleans in March 2008, but I've heard such great things about Princess. Any help out there? Thanks!

April 21, 2007 is the last time the Grand Princess is scheduled to sail the western Caribbean out of Galveston. Upon the return, the Grand loads up for a transatlantic trip. Princess is not scheduled to use Galveston after April 2007.

I started a thread on this a week or two ago and sad to say, Princess doesnt look like they will be pulling out of Galveston/Houston anytime soon. NCL and Carnival should still though. Supposedly the cost to transfer from the airport to the dock was 70 miles or so and just costing to much money so people would spend less on the boat (understandable) but its sad because they just built a $81 MILLION pier for the boats and lots of companies are pulling out.

Living in TX, Galveston was a very affordable way for the family to get to a pier because we could drive. I dont even want to know what 8 round trip tickets costs to Flordia (which is where most places are sailing from now)

The cargo portion of the new Bayport facility opened in early February. The Cruise/passenger section is now due to open sometime in 2008 (no firm date has been announced in press releases), which is a delay from the originally announced plans.

I believe Princess is waiting for the facility to hire staff and actually operate before they are willing to commit ships to the port--and since they make their ship plans, routes and commitments a year or two in advance, it will remain to be seen when the first Princess cruise ships operate out of Bayport. I suspect NCL will be the first, as they are the only ones to currently operate from the port of Houston. After that finally happens, I would think other lines will follow.

This article discusses some of the issues and expectations being tossed back and forth:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/travel/stories/MYSA022507.1Q.texasvruise.16475d9.html

That same article appeared in the Houston Chronicle as well.

In the short term, we'll be limited in cruise opportunities, but the future looks good. Only Carnival and Royal Caribbean will be cruising out of Galveston for the next year. But there is hope for more ships and better itineraries in perhaps a year or two. The Cruise lines have invested millions in the Galveston Cruise terminals so they aren't going away.

I certainly have an interest as I'm working in Galveston, but my next cruises are out of Anchorage & San Diego!!

Thanks for the replies- so it's back to NCL for us! I don't mind- it's going to be an amazing vacation regardless of what line we sail. :D We'll keep Galveston for a later date. I think we should consider ourselves lucky that we have one port within driving distance, let alone two! ;)

Archived