Help!! Car Rental Return - Port Of Miami

Hi everyone. On this board, I have seen references to people renting a vehicle in Ft. Lauderdale and returning it to a location very close to the Port Of Miami. I have called a few car rental offices without any luck. The closest I have been told is about 25 minutes away with not shuttle service to the Port. I am hoping to find one close that also provides a shuttle to the port. Has anyone done this before? If so, which car rental service did you use? Thanks in advance.

DrB

Most of the rental car co's do this. One tip would be to call the local rental office direct, not the 800 number. I've had much better luck doing it this way. Enterprise has a return office in the Hyatt in downtown Miami, but you will have to take a taxi over to the cruise port (no shuttle). We did this a couple of weeks ago. The taxis are readily available in front of the hotel and it cost $9.70 to the cruise port. It's only about a mile or so away.

I rented an Enterprise car at the Miami airport and returned it to their office in the Holiday Inn right by the port. No extra charge and they have a shuttle that takes you right to your ship. I gave the driver a tip although I don't think that is even necessary.

Hertz Miami Downtown HLE is 5 mins from the port and they do provide a shuttle service to and from the ships

-jani

We also went with Hertz. Check-in was very smooth. They must have known we sailing in a few hours. Drop-off was in downtown Miami, just minutes from the port.

Alamo has a drop off center at the Miami airport, and a free schuttle to the cruise terminal. They leave every 20 minutes or so, they are very effecient. They also pickup people at the cruise terminal as well, so they have lots of customers coming and going on cruise days.

Happy sailing

Brian J

We also used Alamo. Picked up the car at FLL and dropped it off at the airport in Miami the next day. Then we hopped on the shuttle to the pier. Very quick and painless:D . The shuttle driver told us that they start sending the shuttle to the pier for returning passengers around 8 am.

We've only rented from Alamo. I used to not be a fan of them but this experience made me a convert. We have never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a shuttle and they are very courteous. Their rates were very good, too.

We've done twice -- flown into FLL, the next day returned the car to MIA airport. The shuttle takes us right to the pier. We've used Dollar rental each time (getting a mini van for the four of us and our luggage) and it's been the cheapest route. Enjoy!

Anyone have dollar rental web site?

I am using right now Thrifty...it will take you from the airport to the port...but wanted to check Dollar's rates compare.

We pick our car in Orlando and will drop it off in Miami and be taken to port then reverse going back.

We've done twice -- flown into FLL, the next day returned the car to MIA airport. The shuttle takes us right to the pier. We've used Dollar rental each time (getting a mini van for the four of us and our luggage) and it's been the cheapest route. Enjoy!

Thanks I did find it to be cheaper for us...more yet when we are going back because we are spending an extra day and we have late flight and it made it a 2 day rental because of hours....so this will be our better way...we get a bigger car for less money.

Question, do you have to let the rental company know you need a shuttle to the port prior to, or can you just drop the car off at miami and ask for the shuttle? and is the shuttle thru the rental companies, or the airport itself? I look on the airport site, amd they show charges to the port, I'm confused :confused: :D

Archived