Opinions on Westerdam

mhshapiro

I've been looking at a possible transatlantic crossing on the Westerdam next year (late April).

I would appreciate comments about the ship from any of you who may have sailed on her recently.

Thanks.....

We were on Westerdam's second sailing in May, a Venice RT to Greece, Croatia, Turkey and Malta.

It was a wonderful, port-intensive cruise. The ship is beautiful and very comfortable, we thought. Sailing in and out of Venice is a fantastic experience!

We liked the wide choice of food but the dinner service sometimes wasn't as good as we've had on other HAL cruises. Perhaps the waiters were getting used to a new ship.

But that wasn't a "biggie" for us and we're booked on the Barcelona to FLL repositioning cruiise in November. This crossing has been sold out for several weeks, however something could open up after final payments are due in mid August.

We have been on all three Vista-class ships and enjoyed each one. The decor on the Westerdam and Oosterdam are more to our tastes, however.

We got off (sadly) the Westerdam on July 18. We were on a 12 cruise to the Baltics and had a WONDERFUL cruise.

The service was soooooooo much better than our 2002 HAL cruise and you could always find something you like to eat or they would bring another choice if you didn't like it.

We found shore excursions well organized, if people would just listen.

Overall we had an excellent cruise and this is a wonderful ship.

Thanks for the comments. I know it's a very new ship, and I'm not surprised that they are still "getting a few of the kinks out". But it sounds like it is a very nice ship.

Any other comments would be welcome.

We did not go to Naples on our recent cruise. The only Italian port was Venice, which we love.

A few years ago on another cruise we did go to Naples. We didn't take a ship excursion and just took a hydrofoil to Capri on our own.

On a land tour of Italy we had visited Pompei, it is definitely worth seeing.

I would assume that a HAL tour would include a guide, check the tour description.

Mrsb411, you found the boards I told you about. Mrsb411 is a very good friend of mine and is sailing on the beautiful Westerdam March 20th. I have told her about all the things I have always enjoyed about HAL and now they will be able to experience the great times for themselves.

Anyone have anything to add for my friends on the Westerdam????? They are so excited and I am so excited for them.

For any HAL cruisers who are booked on the Westerdam in the near future -- please post your impressions of the ship during or after your cruise....

So far the reviews have been good, but I'd like to hear from a few more cruisers.

Thanks

I have seen pictures of the Westerdam posted under the Photo Gallery, it looks like a beautiful ship. From the photo's, it looks elegant and classy. Anyone who will sail on her in the future, is in for a real treat.

Archived