Warning About Bringing Water OnBoard

JerseyMom

I just got off the Spirit for the Feb. 24 - March 4 cruise - great cruise, btw.

Just wanted to warn anyone who brings water and/or soft drinks. I was told by the porters that you are no longer allowed to check water and soft drinks because they have had too many complaints from people who did not get their water/soft drinks. It's no problem bringing it on board, you just have to be able to carry it yourself.

In addition to my carryon, I had to carry on a 24 bottle case of .5L bottles as well as a 12 can pack of soda. If I had known that, I would just have brought maybe 6 water bottles and bought more in St. Thomas and Tortola.

I just got off the Spirit for the Feb. 24 - March 4 cruise - great cruise, btw.

Just wanted to warn anyone who brings water and/or soft drinks. I was told by the porters that you are no longer allowed to check water and soft drinks because they have had too many complaints from people who did not get their water/soft drinks. It's no problem bringing it on board, you just have to be able to carry it yourself.

In addition to my carryon, I had to carry on a 24 bottle case of .5L bottles as well as a 12 can pack of soda. If I had known that, I would just have brought maybe 6 water bottles and bought more in St. Thomas and Tortola.

Good information. We usually just take a 6 pk of water and re-fill as the days go by. The ship water is fine to drink. We just like having a bottle to carry around. We drink more water that way. Not being a soft drink user I don't have to worry about that. NMnita

Hi Jersey Mom

Are you talking about people who just stick tags on the outside of the cartons, etc? We usually use one suitcase just for our sodas, water, etc. We then have the extra suitcase at the end of the cruise for souvenirs, dirty clothes, or whatever.

That's exactly what I'm talking about - I had a luggage tag on my case of water secured with packing tape. The whole case was also reinforced with packing tape. If you have your water and/or soft drinks in a suitecase, then that will work fine.

ak_icequeen - it's interesting that they have that policy in L.A. as well - maybe it is the cruiseline's policy?

Over Christmas we sailed on the Dawn from NYC. We drove to NYC and packed 8 - 12 packs of soda in luggage that we pulled onboard ourselves. We saved a lot of money because we had 3 cabins and 6 people, plus with the extra bags, repacking on the last night was a breeze.

I talked to someone from NCL yesterday about the Dawn. I was told you are not allowed to bring any food or drinks on board at all. Checked or carryon. There must not be following their own rule. I guess to be safe I will carry it on.

I talked to someone from NCL yesterday about the Dawn. I was told you are not allowed to bring any food or drinks on board at all. Checked or carryon. There must not be following their own rule. I guess to be safe I will carry it on.

For what it's worth, NCL's reps routinely tell callers that passengers are not allowed to take soda or bottled water onboard. This is apparently the official customer service answer. However, there is nothing in NCL's published material (online or printed) that prohibits soda or bottled water (in any quantity). The real-world answer is that there has only been 1 report (EVER) on CC that there's been a problem with this. I myself have never had a problem taking soda onboard.

Please, everybody...stop calling NCL concerning this issue. They may eventually decide to make the policy actually official and start enforcing it.

As far as the OP's problem with not being allowed to check the water, we'll have to wait and see if it's going to become a fleetwide policy.

Archived