Will I need a Passport?????

KBeezy

If I say 'Yes'...will you get one?

Are you from Canada...then Yes......

Why not just get one...then there is no question or worry. If you are a US citizen, it is good for 10 years..which is great...ours are only good for 5 years and cost just as much as your's.

Really, you will save yourself alot of worry by just saying 'Yes'.....I'll get one!!

I got one the first time I cruised because even though it wasn't required to have one to take a cruise, I was told that if something happened, a medical emergency or missing my ship or whatever, you can not leave that particular country without having that passport

Great answer!

I am a U.S. citizen and figured I do not need it but getting it would be a very good idea. I just really did not want to spend the extra $100

It is rumored that the prices are going to be raised - you should do it now before they are.

If you have to leave the ship early for any reason, you ARE going to have a problem getting back into the country without a passport.

It is taking at least 7 weeks, so should you wisely decide to get your passport, you need to do it right away.

Technically, you do not need a passport. However, since you have the time to do it but don't, it could wind up being a "penny wise, pound foolish" decision. The 'unknown' happens more frequently than you realize and you'd be smart to get the passport. That $100 is good for 10 years so while it's an up-front expense, you won't need another one for another decade.

At this point I wouldn't count on receiving it before your sailing. We just received ours and sent them in the first week of January. They kept pushing our date to receive them back. It started out at Feb. 19th, we finally got them March 3rd :rolleyes: SO two months with the backup they are getting from everyone applying for one. The problem this presents is you have to send them your original birth certificate, so if the passport doesn't make it back in time you have no bc either. You can pay an extra $70 to have it expedited or if your close to an issuing branch you can get it the same day you apply.

DUUHHHH!!!! You been hiding under a rock or soemthing? Have not been listening to the news?

Get the passport and save yourself a lot of hassle.

I see your here to make friends. Were you born a jerk or do you have to work at it, eh?

Ignore the inconsiderate post above and weigh your options and make a decision that fits your situation. :)

If your question is solely: Will you need a passport for the upcoming cruise, the answer is NO. If your question is: Should you get a passport now, the answer from most people is a resounding YES.

If you are a US citizen, you won't need a passport to sail on that itinerary this year. However, as others have pointed out, it is a good idea to get one now rather than postpone the inevitable. At some point you will need to get one and the longer you delay, the more likely it is that it will take longer to obtain one or cost more than it currently does. If you should have to fly home from a foreign port and don't have a passport, there will be a secondary screening process to allow you to verify your citizenship, but it certainly won't be as easy as it would be if you merely presented your US passport when attempting to re-enter the US. Bite the bullet, include the cost of getting a passport in your travel budget, and apply now. :)

Princess told us to have passports for our May (even the the Gov said no) sailing to Alaska so I would contact them to confirm.

And the Gov site is saying allow 10 weeks, not 7 as mentioned earlier.

As per the government passport site it is taking 10 weeks to process the applications with February - April being the busiest time. Remember, unless you have another certified birth certificate, you will be turning yours in so you will not be able to board the ship without a certified birth certificate or a passport.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

Archived