Upsell- only if booked through NCL?

missingmaui

Is anyone eligible for an upsell/upgrade, or are they only for passengers who are booked directly through NCL? If everyone is eligible, does NCL contact your travel agent, or do they contact you directly? Also, is there a certain category that is more likely to be upgraded/upsold?

This cruise was supposed to be a gift for my in-laws and they aren't able to go now, so DH and I will probably book a better room (now that we're only paying for 1! ;))

Is anyone eligible for an upsell/upgrade, or are they only for passengers who are booked directly through NCL? If everyone is eligible, does NCL contact your travel agent, or do they contact you directly? Also, is there a certain category that is more likely to be upgraded/upsold?

This cruise was supposed to be a gift for my in-laws and they aren't able to go now, so DH and I will probably book a better room (now that we're only paying for 1! ;)

Everyone booking from North America may be visited by the Upsell/Upgrade Fairy.

We had a terrific upsell on the Dawn the last time we sailed her for very little $$. You do need to ask your TA to call NCL to put you on the upsell list. It is not automatic.

And I might add, asking to be place upon an upsell list is surely the best way to guarantee you will not get offerred one. The Upsell Desk really takes the attitude that they will call you, not you call them, seriously!

I booked my 4/2 cruise on the POH with my cruise TA. At time of booking, I told her that I would be interested in an upsell, if one come around.

At the end of JAN (a little over 2 months before my cruise) I receievd a call from my TA. She said she got a call from NCL offering me an upsell.

We called her back and were upselled to a Penthouse Suite for $365 per person.

I can't WAIT !!!!!!

And I might add, asking to be place upon an upsell list is surely the best way to guarantee you will not get offerred one. The Upsell Desk really takes the attitude that they will call you, not you call them, seriously!

Actually I think this is a popular misconception. While I don't think it will help you to call them I don't think it will actually hurt you either. Let the TA do it to be safe.

I also have to disagree with this. I booked through "Exshpeediuh" and right before final payment I called and asked them to put a note in my record that I'd be interested (after getting that helpful tip right here).

Within the week of final payment I received a call for an upsell. Unfortunately, I didn't get back with them in time and the offer was gone! :rolleyes: Actually, I'm kinda glad, because now I've got the extra dough for the trip.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find it

Does anyone know whether UK passengers can get upsells? I have booked directly with NCL for a BC with a free upgrade to BB as part of their promotion last month. Would be great to get an upsell to a suite

Anyone in the UK ever got an upsell? If not, can you tell me the timings for it - because I guess I'll just ring NCL UK and ask........(I suppose that's not the same as ringing the US upsell dept?)

All I can say is that is worked for us. We booked a simple balcony cabin and asked our TA to call NCL and place our names on the upsell list. A little over two weeks before the cruise, NCL called our TA and asked if we would like a mini-suite for $50.00 more per person. That was a no brainer! Then 10 days before the cruise, NCL contacted our TA again and asked if we would like a Penthouse Suite for $300 pp. Needless to say we jumped at it. Boy oh boy did that ever spoil us. It was wonderful.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find it

Does anyone know whether UK passengers can get upsells? I have booked directly with NCL for a BC with a free upgrade to BB as part of their promotion last month. Would be great to get an upsell to a suite

Anyone in the UK ever got an upsell? If not, can you tell me the timings for it - because I guess I'll just ring NCL UK and ask........(I suppose that's not the same as ringing the US upsell dept?)

Sorry to disappoint.:o NCL UK do NOT offer their passengers any upsells.

On the Pearl's Transatlantic there were many UK passengers both booked directly with NCL and through a Travel Agent. As far as I am aware not one of us received an upsell - they were all offered to passengers with North American bookings (it's not really a nationality thing - it just feels like it:rolleyes:). I called NCL UK (Latitudes number) and was told "that must be something new that Miami are trying out". Not the case as it's been going for the whole time I've been on CC. NCL UK's favourite tack on "something different" always does seem to be either something new Miami is doing or something which Miami hasn't told them about yet!

NCL is not unique in having differences between bookings made in the UK and the US - all cruise lines seem to be the same.

I've had two clients offered upsells; in fact one is enjoying a penthouse suite on the Jewel right now, at a VERY attractive price. :)

I did NOT put either of them on an upsell list; NCL contacted me with the offers for the clients.

Thanks Calmac - it is disappointing

Still I may ring them nearer the time anyway and bargain! I guess the more times they get the query, the more they may take note and do something about it!

We can only hope!

We had just paid our final payment when we got an email offering us the Romance Suite for $600.00. I called them right back and accepted the offer. I didn't know anything about upsells before they called us. It was a wonderful experience and we would do it again in an instant!

I've had two upsells, one after asking to be placed on a list (from balcony to AC Penthouse for $350 per person on the Star) and the last one without asking to be on a list (from JJ inside to DD outside for $100 total on the Jewel in two weeks - yeah!!!). I asked about an upsell to balcony, but they told me they don't normally offer upsells across that many catagories. I booked directly with NCL on both cruises since I like to have control over talking with them. I've only cruised NCL three times so I guess the upsell fairy like me!

This cruise was supposed to be a gift for my in-laws and they aren't able to go now, so DH and I will probably book a better room (now that we're only paying for 1! ;))

I can only tell you how an upsell worked for me on our 2nd NCL cruise.

If you booked through a travel agent, they have to contact NCL. You cannot contact NCL directly. We waited until final payment time. Then we contacted our travel agent and told her we would like to see if we could get an upsell from our inside to an oceanview. She contacted NCL and although the whole thing was a little confusing and involved some work on our TA's side to get everything straightened out, we were able to eventually get the upsell we wanted for only $50 extra each.

We booked through an online discounter. They called us a week later to tell us about an upsell NCL was offering us. We said it was too expensive, she called them back and they lowered the price.

We never requested an upsell, they offered it to us.

Teri

Actually I think this is a popular misconception. While I don't think it will help you to call them I don't think it will actually hurt you either. Let the TA do it to be safe.

I booked an inside cabin through an on-line agency, made final payment over a month ago. About 2 weeks or so ago I called and left a message asking if the upgrade fairy would be around. They left a message back saying our cabin was a SUPERIOR inside, very nice and we should be happy with that! Two days ago I called NCL and asked for a quick quote on an inside cabin, she gave me the same price I had paid, but then said, you could move to an ocean view for the same price if you'd like. She then noticed I had booked through an TA and said for me to call them and have them make the arrangements. With-in 24 hours all was settled, Superior OV, no extra cost. It really doesn't hurt to ask everyone concerned.

There's a difference between asking to have it noted on your reservation that you would be interested in an upsell and calling the Upsell department itself.

The Upsell department no longer takes incoming calls (from TAs or from pax) precisely because they were being inundated with pax calling (sometimes every day) starting months before their cruise dates asking for upsells. It's a tiny department and could not handle the volume, so the PTB decided that the whole concept was being abused and changed the policy to "don't call us, we might call you." If you try to call (and especially if you call often), they will note it on your reservation and you may be put on a "don't offer" list. (Notice I say "may," not will; this info is from someone who works with the upsell department.)

You can ask to have it noted in your reservation, but that's really not going to make any difference anymore because they pretty much assume that most people would be interested. They call based on cabin availability and what they think they can resell.

In any case, it's not a misconception that the Upsell department won't take incoming calls because they won't. You can have it noted on your ressie, but that's it.

beachchick

If you try to call (and especially if you call often), they will note it on your reservation and you may be put on a "don't offer" list. (Notice I say "may," not will; this info is from someone who works with the upsell department.)

In any case, it's not a misconception that the Upsell department won't take incoming calls because they won't. You can have it noted on your ressie, but that's it.

beachchick

May is a very subjective term, and basically means they will to me. It really does depend upon who is taking the call. Subjectively means some will put you on a do not call list, and that others will not. My luck being as it is, being put on a do not call list is guaranteed. ;)

How are people selected for the upsell option?

Everyone has theories, but only NCL knows for sure. I've had upsell offers for clients but have never had one for me, either. Much depends upon how full the ship is.

Archived