Mohogany bowls in Belize

wimberleydlc

I have heard that you can purchase Mohogany bowls in Belize and I think this is something I would like to look for. Can anyone tell me where to find them (won't have a lot of time, since we're only in port from 1 p - 7 p and have a tour scheduled) and about how much they go for?

Thanks!

thye have some at the port but if you go behind the stores there is the artisans stalls still inside the compound

I bought a rosewood bowl for $40. from Colin (rasta man) it is very nice.

We did see mahongany bowls in Roatan cheaper if you are stopping there.

We did the same thing as LHT28while we were in Belize a couple of weeks ago. Colin A. (don't know what the A stood for) signed our bowl on the bottom. It's now sitting in the middle of our coffee table and has become a conversation piece.

Tanker4

I love the bowl that I bought in Belize. The bowl is made of the different woods found in the area. The different colors of the wood make for a beautiful bowl.

We bought our bowl at one of the shops in the secured port area. I think we payed around 25 for it. We also bought a carved toucan.

Be sure to go to the art studio in the port area. It is down a sort of alley, near the side of the wet lizard bar. The shop has watercolors of Belize made by local artists, bowls, pottery and much more. We bought a watercolor there.

We have been to Belize twice and found the port prices comparible to the prices at the outdoor market that is across the street from the port area. The first time we were in Belize we shopped in the outdoor market and endured constant pestering by the locals as we tried to shop. Be careful if you decide to go outside of the port area without a reputable guide.

Apparently Mahogany was the historical main export from Belize!

Mahogany is known as "red gold" in Belize due to its value. In the very early days they shipped the logs and they caused the ships to capsize due to them rolling. From then on, they chipped them square, and from what our guide said, in many places in Belize, if you dig down into the ground, you come of with mahogany chippings!!

Archived