sailing out of NY?

scher

Can anyone tell me are the seas extra rough sailing out of NY in the Winter time. What should I expect the differences between sailing out of NY in the winter and sailing out of Florida?

Can anyone tell me are the seas extra rough sailing out of NY in the Winter time. What should I expect the differences between sailing out of NY in the winter and sailing out of Florida?

The Atlantic can be much rougher than the Caribbean. It all depends on the weather.

We always prepare for a rough ride out of NY the first night out and the last night back. But you never can tell.
Were the seas rough? I know you said you prepare........but how were they actually?

We went out of NY on Jan 23rd. It was actually not bad at all. You'll notice a difference in sailing anytime you're on the Caribbean side of the islands versus when you're on the Atlantic side. The Atlantic side always is a bit rougher, but how rough it is really depends on the weather.

The worst day we had at sea was on our third at sea day, when we were heading back to NY and were sailing opposite Florida. That's because there was a huge storm in the Carolinas that spawned lots of devastating tornadoes. We only put up with that for about 5-6 hours, though. Then everything was pretty smooth again.

BTW, it wasn't that our weather was stormy, it never was. It's just that the waves were a little higher and hitting the ship on a diagonal. Usually you don't notice all that much if the waves are hitting the ship fore, aft or on a side.

Teri

We sailed out of NY on the Spirit last March. The only rough seas we had were leaving Miami! Weather is a crap shoot. I wouldn't worry about leaving out of NY. We're leaving on the Dawn out of NY in two weeks.

Archived