restaurants

lrn376

I am doing the land and sea tour in June 2005. My land tour covers Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, and Anchorage. Can anyone please recommend any restaurants for dinner in these cities and also excursions that they did in these places.The land tour covers the Gold mine and the Discovery Sternwheeler in Fairbanks. In Denali we do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Need a recommendation for morning in Denali (if not too tired from Tundra Wilderness trip) before going to Talkeetna. Need an excursion for Talkeetna. All info much appreciated. Thank you, Lois

You are kind of early for tour plans- a lot can change in a year. If you don't have a car your dining will be limited- but in Fairbanks- The Pump House and Turtle Club get my vote, Anchorage- Glacier Brewhouse. Denali Park- hopefully you have 2 nights? There are park activities with rangers- http://www.nps.gov look under Denali Park. Talkeetna is best for flightseeing with my preference a summit flight, but a great deal can depend on your flying experience with a ski plane landing thrilling as well. As a consideration- look for at least 7 additional days for interior touring AND adding days at your start- you see little of either Fairbanks or Anchorage otherwise. Car rental is highly recommend in both.

In Talkeetna the West Rib Pub for great burgers. We sat next to a climbing team waiting for the weather to clear to go up to the base camp. Very popular place. Latitude 62 (on outskirts of town) for a wonderful hearty breakfast.

In Anchorage the La Mex restaurant - 3 locations. The Downtown location on 6th Street has both wonderful Mexican food and delicious Halibut and prime rib. Try the fried zuccini appetizer - best I've ever had. Large portions - you won't leave hungry!

Save room for dessert too.

If you visit Palmer on your way to Talkeetna (very interesting little town), across from the museum is The Inn Cafe - delicious Salmon burger and excellent Creme' Brulee' for dessert.

Enjoy planning your trip - we can't wait to return to Alaska.

My husband recommends the Chatineeka Lodge (my spelling may be off) which is in the area of Fairbanks. He says they have 'big food' for the money and recommends the 'Dredge burger' there.

Archived