Explorer Questions

My hub and I contemplating the May 4th sailing to Labadee and Ocho. We've been on many cruises as we live in Florida but not a big mega liner like the Explorer. I hear there are a few things that are not included in the price of the cruise - Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerry's etc? Is this true? What else is extra? Why would anyone want to pay for a hamburger or ice cream on a cruise ship? Just some thoughts. Also, is the ship in good shape as it's not the newest in the fleet. We're thinking balcony cabin. Also any thoughts on Labadee? What to do there etc. We've been to Ocho before and loved it. Since the ship so big - how long does it take to get off the ship in ports of call? Thanks for pros and cons.:rolleyes:

My hub and I contemplating the May 4th sailing to Labadee and Ocho. We've been on many cruises as we live in Florida but not a big mega liner like the Explorer. I hear there are a few things that are not included in the price of the cruise - Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerry's etc? Is this true? What else is extra? Why would anyone want to pay for a hamburger or ice cream on a cruise ship? Just some thoughts. Also, is the ship in good shape as it's not the newest in the fleet. We're thinking balcony cabin. Also any thoughts on Labadee? What to do there etc. We've been to Ocho before and loved it. Since the ship so big - how long does it take to get off the ship in ports of call? Thanks for pros and cons.:rolleyes:

Explorer is wonderful, yes it is a little older but it is in wonderful shape. You don't need to go to Johnny Rockets or Ben and Jerry's, I actually never even saw JR's. There are plenty of venues to get food without any extra charges.

It is definitely worth the 20$ pp charge for Portofino, the menu, service, ambiance is wonderful but not necessary if you don't choose.

I can't comment on the ports since we did the 5 day to Bermuda. Even though the ship is big there is a great flow about it and it never feels crowded. We never experienced any delays getting off at the ports. Click the link in my signature to see pictures from the ship. The room is a balcony E1 8328.

As you can see by my signature, the Explorer was my first cruise and I'll be going on it again in June. I love the ship and all the voyager class ships that I've been on. Labadee is beautiful. It is one of my favorite islands because it is so relaxing. We like JR for a change and the first 2 cruises it was included in the price. Now there is a flat fee, but I don't remember what it was. Being a Crown & Anchor member we get a coupon for a free one, so we use it. I think you'll love the ship. Like Sue L said, even though there's lots of people on the ship, I never felt it was crowded.

Just got off the Explorer on Sunday. She is still in fantastic shape and the crew takes very good care of her as well as the passengers. Johnny Rockets has a 3.95 surcharge and you get all of the hamburgers, onion rings and french fries but you still pay extra for the milkshakes and soda. I think the milkshakes were 3.60 and they are fantastic.

There is a $20 per person surcharge for Portofino's as well. We have never been there as there are steaks on the main dining room menu each night that are great.

The bedding is wonderful and it is the new bedding. We hope that you will enjoy which ever cruise and cabin you choose.

You're right--there's no need to buy ice cream, when you can buy it at home!! There is frozen yogurt included, so.... JR is a flat $3.95 per person--again--not a necessity!!! Same with the specialty restaurants! Do it if you want, but plenty of folks don't! You won't feel left out!

You will love Explorer--she's a beautiful ship!

Labadee is a beach day--you can get away without spending a dime there, unless you want to!!! They do have some watersport stuff available. Food and tea/lemonade, etc.... are included. Like on the ship, sodas, and alcohol will be charged to your seapass. Consider this a sea day--but on land!

Definitely get a balcony--it's a vacation--some luxury should be part of that, don't you think? Enjoy!

If you decide to go, come join us on our roll call ! Friendly group :D

The link is in my signature !

I hear nothing but good things about this ship ! Labadee is wonderful....

You can spend as much, or as little as you choose !

I plan on just enjoying the ship and the views :)

Sue

Johnny Rocket's is some of the food that is served the absolute hottest off of the grill on the seas (or off of the seas, for that matter).

Fantastic. I don't normally fast food, but, it was a real treat.

Johnny Rocket's is some of the food that is served the absolute hottest off of the grill on the seas (or off of the seas, for that matter).

Fantastic. I don't normally fast food, but, it was a real treat.

This is true, way hotter and juicier than any JR food Iv'e had on land. Had to do it one time, just for fun. We loved Explorer, beautiful ship and very friendly crew. Going again in Jan. 08.:)

Sounds like a good ship to us. Would love to try a mega ship just one time. We've sailed HAL, Disney, Carnival and good ole Premier and loved them. We'll definitely go balcony I think. Trying to get some ideas for Ocho without doing the usual shore excursions. Anyone use a personal tour guide they hooked up with? When we docked there with HAL - it was an industrial area - where does RCCL dock?

You will love the Explorer - it is my favorite ship.

In Ocho there is a little shopping port with Marguerita ville there - there is a nice (somewhat) beach there as well for customers. Better than doing the "falls". ALso there are several nice resorts near by where you could do a day pass - maybe a Marriott? I think that they charge $30 pp. Have fun! :D

Archived