best way to tour Delos (from Mykonos)?

What is the best way to see Delos? Our ship arrives in Mykonos at 2 pm, and I've heard that Delos closes at 3 pm. There is a ship's excursion, but would like to hear from the experts on these boards before I commit myself. Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated

I would highly recommend that you take the ship's tour. It's very convenient -- we did it in November -- for a couple of reasons:

1) As you pointed out, the site closes at a certain point (not sure if it was as early as 3pm when we were there), and I don't know whether you would have time to get off your ship and get to where the ferries leave before things would be closing. Even if you get to Delos, not sure what the ferry schedule would be for you to return.

2) The waves often kick up in the afternoon. Sometimes the ferries don't even run to Delos. The shore excursion we were on used a large enough craft that I don't think it's such an issue.

3) It's very easy. You walk off the ship and load right onto the smaller boat to Delos. The boat also brings you right back to the ship at the finish of the tour so that you can either get back on board (if you don't want to see Mykonos) or catch the shuttle, which is also right there, into town.

The guide we had was very knowledgeable and definitely pointed out things I would've missed on my own (even with the walking tour of Delos I had printed out and took with me). You will have some free time to walk around -- be sure to see the on-site museum. Hopefully it will stay open long enough!

I went with a group using a guide that we hired in Mykonos, and he was great. But if your information on the closing time on Delos is correct, I would go with the ship's tour group in your particular situation. Take lots of water and wear a hat because there is no shade, and it gets hot (even when we were there in October.

Have a great cruise,

Donna

I just booked the Delos excursion. You know, sometimes it just is better to take the ship's excursion. For example, we did Trunk Bay (St. Johns) from St. Thomas on our own. (This was on RCCI Mariner) The logistics were so much of a pain, it would have been worth it to just go with the ships tour. That's why this board is so helpful.

Archived