Journey Main Dining Room

Dolphins

Dolphins,

Is it true that the main dining room on Celebrity Journey is "open seating?" Does this mean there are no assigned tables and you can dine at any time?

Yes, and yes. And the prescribed dress aboard these vessels will be "casual" every evening.

MV Celebrity Joruney and MV Celebrity Quest will be part of the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet, which is a separate entity from the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet. They will follow the same practices their fleet mate, as MY Celebrity Xpedition, in this regard.

These also clearly will not have the kind of elaborate production shows requiring such sophistication as stage elevators and turntables that you would see on a "Celebrity Cruises" ship because the show rooms are not set up for it. And these ships also do not have children's, youth, and teen centers, though I suspect that they will follow the industry practice of offering programs staffed by professional counsellors when there are enough (usually fifteen or more) aboard to warrant such programs. Princess Cruises designs special shows for sister ships MV Pacific Princess, MV Tahetian Princess, and MV Royal Princess that differ from the shows in the rest of the Princess fleet for this reason, and I presume that Celebrity will do likewise.

Norm.

I really don't understand the whole " follow practices of the Xpedition " thing. The Xpedition has 100 passengers. This is a 700 passenger ship. The Bermuda trip is not one of these "exotic" destinations. It's always been a lot of kids and familys. We've done this trip 5 times.

We'll be very dissapointed if there are no counselors.

I really don't understand the whole " follow practices of the Xpedition " thing. The Xpedition has 100 passengers. This is a 700 passenger ship. The Bermuda trip is not one of these "exotic" destinations. It's always been a lot of kids and familys. We've done this trip 5 times.

We'll be very dissapointed if there are no counselors.

You might want to switch to RCI's Empress of the Seas for a kids and familys friendly ship. The ships that Celebrity bought are small ships that were designed for an adults only cruise line so you should not expect them to be very child friendly.

Zenithfan...I'm with you. We did this trip 4 times and my son loves it. Obviously we are Zenith fans too and soooo sad to see her leave the fleet. It's a shame that Celebrity has cut out the family business from Bermuda. Bermuda is one of the most kid friendly islands around. RCL does not offer a comparable experience nor does NCL and I would never consider them.

We are sailing Princess to the Caribbean this summer. I know it won't be the same as Celebrity but it will be close enough and we got a balcony cabin at a good price.

I, too, do not understand how they could lump Journey and Quest in the Xpedition line. They should just own up and call it what it is..."Oceania 2":rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

I, too, do not understand how they could lump Journey and Quest in the Xpedition line. They should just own up and call it what it is..."Oceania 2":rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Because X would have to charge twice as much as they are to be Oceania II.

Oceania is wonderful and my one cruise on them had the best food ever, but I'm glad to be able to experience these lovely smaller ships at the more atttractive prices of Celebrity and Princess. I'm not willing to spend $1000 more per week for the food. I go on cruises for the ports. I'm glad to see more ships coming online that cater to adults. There's no shortage of ships for families.

BrooklynGirl2,

Practically speaking, the line's management had to make some difficult decisions. Nonetheless, here are the simple facts.

>> 1. MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest do not have all of the facilities that most passengers would expect on a "celebrity Cruises" ship. In particular, these ships do not have children's, youth, and teen centers and their showrooms do not have the facilities (stage turntables and elevators, etc.) of a "Celebrty Theater" on a "Celebrity Cruises" ship.

>> 2. Celebrity clearly intends to send these vessels on more exotic tineraries to more remote destinations than the vessels of the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet. Here, the cruises of MV Celebrity Jouney to South America and Antarctica next winter are just the beginning. That ship's cruises to Bermuda on itineraries originally arranged for MV Zenith in the summer of 2007 are clearly an accommodation of the late announcement of the exchange relative to the booking cycle, and the Caribbean and Panama Canal itineraries assigned to MV Celebrity Quest -- probably originally booked by Pullmantur for MV blue Moon before the decision to transfer the vessel -- probably is a similar accommodation. Realistically, we probably will see these ships deploy on cruises to the South Pacific, Asia, Africa, and perhaps even "Around the World" itineraries in the next year or two. And cruises to the Pacific Rim or through the Alleutian Islands might also be feasible.

>> 3. The compny clearly expects that these ships will command premium fares relative to "Celebrity Cruises" ships, as MY Celebrity Xpedition does, due to their small size.

So the full implementation of the plan will make these ships more like MY Celebrity Xpedition than the "Celebrity Cruises" ships.

Norm.

Archived