vibrations?

Fleuve51

We are booked on our 1st river cruise in May.

I was wondering if you feel the motor vibrations while trying to sleep?

We just got off the Crystal Symphony & the vibrations were awful ,for the 1st 2 nights.

Our cabin was towards the back.

Thanks.

We were in Cabin 423 (closest cabin to the stern, topmost cabin deck, with the restaurant between our cabin and the stern) on River Countess for two weeks, and never felt or heard any vibrations from the main engines or propellors. We would hear the occasional "thump" or two as the ship bumped against the side of a lock. We would hear the side thrusters when they ran, which wasn't often. None of these were bothersome.

When we COULD hear and feel the engines and propellors was when we were sitting at dining tables at the extreme stern (on the topmost cabin deck).

Eileen,

Whether you can feel vibrations or hear the engines is depending on several accounts. The main thing is the location of your cabin. If you´re on the lowest deck to the stern you sure can hear and feel something. Then there´s the construction of the ship. Some companies do have the twin cruisers, a towboat pushing a hotel barge. Those units are much more quiet. Then some ships do have a double isolation between the cabins meaning less noise. Another tricky spot can be the bow region on the lowest deck. The bow thrusters are used for docking and in the locks and you can hear them believe me. And a ship is louder the stronger the current is (especially during high water).

If I am asked which are the best cabins my advice is choose a midship cabin on a riverboat. The higher you´re up the more quiet it is. That´s the reason for different price levels :D .

steamboats

Luckily we are mid ship & up high.

Another question please, that perhaps you may know the answer to:

how do gratuities work?

We are booked on Amadeus -a 14 day trip from amsterdamm to Budapest.

Thanks.

Eileen

Archived