Formal night shoes

Rolling Stoned

After all the great advice and reading recent reviews, I've decided to participate in the formal nights for my upcoming cruise on the grand (3-17).

The formal night guidelines are clearly defined. I'm buying some sort of jacket and tie. However, I can see no mention of shoes. So.....can I wear my vans(tennis shoes) on formal night and still get seated in the dining rooms as long as I have a jacket and tie?

Don't want to start "one of those threads". Just honestly asking. Thanks.

This is my first cruise and I'm hella exited.

So you are going to wear a jacket and tie...then why would you even think of wearing tennis shoes with them on formal night?

What type of pants do you plan on wearing since jeans are out?

I would think if you don't want to invest in any dress shoes because of the added cost and may not wear them again...why not boots...if you wear those?

Or either some 'Hush Puppies' slip-on casual shoes? At least those would look nicer for formal night than tennis shoes.

Click below for some ideas on more casual type shoes that would look nice:

http://www.jcpenney.com/products/C011155.jsp

At least with those type of shoes, if you choice to buy a new pair, you would have something to wear that is appropriate at a wedding or funeral in the future, besides for formal night.

Thanks again. I'm not interested in how it will look. I have a pair of decent shoes, I just didn't want to pack them if I didn't have to. As long as they will seat me. DW wants the food, otherwise I'd just eat at the buffet.To me the idea of a "dresscode" is, for lack of a better word, elitist bullship.:p

After all the great advice and reading recent reviews, I've decided to participate in the formal nights for my upcoming cruise on the grand (3-17).

The formal night guidelines are clearly defined. I'm buying some sort of jacket and tie. However, I can see no mention of shoes. So.....can I wear my vans(tennis shoes) on formal night and still get seated in the dining rooms as long as I have a jacket and tie?

Don't want to start "one of those threads". Just honestly asking. Thanks.

This is my first cruise and I'm hella exited.

I'm pretty sure I saw some guy at either the Grammy's or the Oscars (or some award show) with a tux and sneakers. Go for it!! I mean really, if anyone wants to take the time to look at your feet and then let it ruin their dinner, I'd say that would be THEIR problem, not yours!

I remember an earlier post you wrote.......you sound like a fun and funny guy! Have a great time on your cruise.

I'm sorry, I didn't think(as to the cost of this cruise) I would be.

A light bulb just went off for me: Too many people actually think they are the ELITE, or at least they really want to be!!

I think a cruise has become a relatively reasonable family vacation. By no means cheap, but do-able for many families. Alot of people want to hold on to the notion that cruising is just for the "elite." That's not the case any longer. Our family is FAR from wealthy, but we can pull off this summer's cruise anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty of other "worker bees" like us, and some people don't want to put on airs - like buying entire new wardrobes and extra shoes just for the cruise.

You know what: I'm going to go out there and use that line that so many people hate - I'm paying the same hard earned money as the "fancy dressers" so they are no better than I am. And no better than Rolling Stoned either!! The original question was "will I be seated" - not what do you think about it or will it look good. Sometimes these boards make me want to go out and do something like buy my son a pair of Vans so he can wear them on formal night! I'd love to see someone check his footwear and not allow us into the dining room. Remember: they're called GUIDELINES, not rules!

Kendon may have made the "elite" remark in jest (I'm not sure), but many a thing said in jest..........

A light bulb just went off for me: Too many people actually think they are the ELITE, or at least they really want to be!!

I think a cruise has become a relatively reasonable family vacation. By no means cheap, but do-able for many families. Alot of people want to hold on to the notion that cruising is just for the "elite." That's not the case any longer. Our family is FAR from wealthy, but we can pull off this summer's cruise anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty of other "worker bees" like us, and some people don't want to put on airs - like buying entire new wardrobes and extra shoes just for the cruise.

You know what: I'm going to go out there and use that line that so many people hate - I'm paying the same hard earned money as the "fancy dressers" so they are no better than I am. And no better than Rolling Stoned either!! The original question was "will I be seated" - not what do you think about it or will it look good. Sometimes these boards make me want to go out and do something like buy my son a pair of Vans so he can wear them on formal night! I'd love to see someone check his footwear and not allow us into the dining room. Remember: they're called GUIDELINES, not rules!

Kendon may have made the "elite" remark in jest (I'm not sure), but many a thing said in jest..........

Well said :D :D

. Sometimes these boards make me want to go out and do something like buy my son a pair of Vans so he can wear them on formal night! I'd love to see someone check his footwear and not allow us into the dining room. Remember: they're called GUIDELINES, not rules!

Always looking for ways to buck the system.......

Once again its my vacation and I will do what I want. :(

Hell, I wear a kilt to formal night and they sure as hell ain't lookin' at my shoes!:eek:

It's nice to respect others and dress nicely...but dress the way you want.

Tom:)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D I am sure most peolpe won't even notice is you ARE wearing shoes.......love those kilts!!

Of course my comment was made in jest. The original question was ridiculous. If someone were to even consider wearing sneakers with a suit, why would they go out of their way to ask if it's okay. They were going to wear them anyway.... Just looking for a reaction. What a waste of good message board space and people's time.

Yes, you can be seated wearing vans. If the dress code is really chapping you, a coat and tie aren't mandatory either. They will seat you in dress slacks and a collared shirt as well, and you won't be the only one dressed that way.

Jeans? I wouldn't push my luck.

Archived