just returned Nachi Cocom

ccletzgo

Well........The place is beautiful and the food is great. Service lacks. Seems there was no one in charge.:confused:

We got there a little after noon. It was a cloudy day and we were in no hurry.

No lounge chairs available. They told us to sit at a table.:eek: This place limits its guests and you pay for a reservation. There should be enough lounge chairs available.

I told them I wanted to leave and wanted my money back and all of the sudden they were dragging lounge chairs out of some storage area and putting them on the beach. WE didnt get a pad on our chair like the others had though.

Pool was too cold to use and hot tub was cold. Swim up bar useless.

We really looked forward to the swim up bar. We had a large group and this was the main reason we booked.

womens rest room was clean, but the men said theres was filthy.

It has potential. It may be hit and miss.?

Oh now, this isn't good. I am going in May, just booked my reservations yesterday. How was the beach? How was the food? What do they mean

by 3 couse dinning. I am now nervous to go. I have also read on the boards it is hard to get out there, taxis don't want to seem to take people there. Thanks for the info. :)

We were there on the 27th of Feb (I believe) and absolutely LOVED the place. We arrived a little early (before 9am), had NO problem getting a taxi there or getting one back. They were very welcoming (Jose, Carlos and Mario). They asked us over and over if we wanted something to eat or drink. Since we had just eaten breakfast, we were good for awhile. Although the pool was cold.. it was fine once you were in it. So getting in the hot tub from the pool was warmer. We were in the hot tub for the better part of the day. We had bloody Mary's (which were yummy!) in the hot tub and before you sat your empty glass down, there was another waiting! We also ate our lunch sitting on the ledge in the hot tub at the swim up bar. We were not in the mood for 3 course anything and asked for fish sandwiches. I'm not sure if they understood or not, but we were given a "club" like sandwich with the fish in place of normal club meats. It was great!! The area is beautiful and the people were great. I asked, at one point, if they sold batteries. (For my camera) They checked, said no, but they would be glad to go get me some! (And they did!) I'd say that is great service! We had a wonderful relaxing day and met other great folks that loved the place as much as we did! I would NOT hesitate to make a reservation there again and I know we WILL.

And remember.... it's what you make it!

Things change...waiters and bartenders tend to move from job to job...management of places makes "new" decisions and/or someone gets a bug up their u know what and things change

I don't understand how people here seem to just try to "overide" a new review by repeating their own (in the past) experience

I think you both could be right....one could have had a good time there a few weeks earlier...but..things change...and who knows??

I had read good reviews of Reef club here ...then things apparently changed, read on the tripadvisor that the Reef opened a whole new wing of "time shares" and have more under construction....the place is now very understaffed since the number of guests has pretty much doubled for food and drinks....and the staff has not increased...

and various problems there at Reef, including people sick from the food...if someone had a great time there months ago, that does not change the bad time people are having there now....

that is one reason I don't even hang out on the boards for places I have been in the past...since after a month or two my "review" or opinion really doesn't mean all that much...

I am really sorry to hear of the less than good day at Nachi...my own take on it is that 1) maybe some old staff quit and new staff is not yet on the ball 2) maybe they get more people with spring break and are overworked...and

the 3)may be just the fact that "things change"

hope they get better, some folks on my roll call are planning to go there and were really looking forward to it

I don't understand how people here seem to just try to "overide" a new review by repeating their own (in the past) experience

I kind-of understand why others add their good experience to one's negative. It's because people panic as soon as they read one less than stellar report. If there was no positive report to balance a negative report, we'd have a whole thread of "oh no - now I'm worried - I just booked there - can I cancel" type replies.

I understand when researching a place there will be positive and negative reports. My experience will probably fall somewhere in the middle. If it exceeds that, I'm thrilled!

I kind-of understand why others add their good experience to one's negative. It's because people panic as soon as they read one less than stellar report. If there was no positive report to balance a negative report, we'd have a whole thread of "oh no - now I'm worried - I just booked there - can I cancel" type replies.

I understand when researching a place there will be positive and negative reports. My experience will probably fall somewhere in the middle. If it exceeds that, I'm thrilled!

How true you are.. One persons gold could be anothers junk so to speak

Oh now, this isn't good. I am going in May, just booked my reservations yesterday. How was the beach? How was the food? What do they mean

by 3 couse dinning. I am now nervous to go. I have also read on the boards it is hard to get out there, taxis don't want to seem to take people there. Thanks for the info. :)

Since you are going in May, I would assume the water will be warmer.....making the pool etc enjoyable. The OP said the food was great....so that is a good thing. The taxis will make comments about not going for several reasons. One, they may be getting a kickback to take you to a particular beach club. Two, they know that NC limits the number of guests to 100 cruises and they don't want people who do not have a reservation to be disappointed.

Since you have a reservation, just tell the taxi driver that IF he says anything.

The OP gave a very good balanced review about the good (food) the bad (no loungers) and the ugly (dirty men's restrooms). Since you can get extra loungers by asking and there is a chance that the dirty men's restroom was just "a bad day" (hopefully)...then I would go and have a good time.

Since you are going in May, I would assume the water will be warmer.....making the pool etc enjoyable. The OP said the food was great....so that is a good thing. The taxis will make comments about not going for several reasons. One, they may be getting a kickback to take you to a particular beach club. Two, they know that NC limits the number of guests to 100 cruises and they don't want people who do not have a reservation to be disappointed.

Since you have a reservation, just tell the taxi driver that IF he says anything.

The OP gave a very good balanced review about the good (food) the bad (no loungers) and the ugly (dirty men's restrooms). Since you can get extra loungers by asking and there is a chance that the dirty men's restroom was just "a bad day" (hopefully)...then I would go and have a good time.

Yes, good advice...

I would ALSO watch for the most "recent" reviews and see if they report the same stuff or if that was an "off" day...if more reviews show problems, lack of lounge chairs etc....then you COULD copy and paste and send them to the booking agent, Island Marketing and get some sort of help that way...

Just have to keep reading the newest reviews, cause most of the older reviews have been positive (tho I still say...lol..things can and do change)

So yes this is a new review...I think I may know the poster that had a less than stellar experience as I saw a group show up after noon expecting lounge chairs etc and were sort of grumbling as they were searching for chairs...:rolleyes: Here is my review...............

Husband and I arrived at Coz via Splendour at 7..took our time and departed the ship around 9:15. We decided to go to Nachi first and then come in around 5 and do some shopping afterwards....

Getting a taxi...no problem..We always asked the fare first and it was always what it should be...$15 each way...

Got to Nachi after about 10 minute taxi ride..

Nachi....WOW! We got there early in the day so we were one of the first there...The view was spectacular, the lounge chairs under palapas were plentiful and yes Mario greeted us always asking us if we wanted something to eat or drink...:p

We settled into our palapa (hut) and got some drinks and enjoyed the view..

*My only negative is that the mixed drinks I had..such as strawberry pina colada and strawberry daquiri were not good...tasted funny..(more on that later..)**

After a while Reynaldo came around with a book and offered us excursions..we decided to go snorkeling around 10:30..perfect! He was our "capitan"...and took us out in his boat to a couple of reefs. We had never been snorkeling before and saw lots of fish, sea turtles, a manta ray and a sting ray..Very cool..He took another guide with us that actually went into the water with us and pointed things out to us that I otherwise would have easily missed..very nice..(Armando???)

Finished snorkeling and returned to the beach under our palapa..Layed out in the sun...drank Sol beer and bottled water. Had a nice lunch..Husband had fajitas, I had cheese quesadillas..You can order off their menu. Guacamole was good! We thoroughly enjoyed the day and swam and played in the ocean..the weather was beautiful! The ocean was warm enough to go swimming..Didn't use the pool..can do that at home. They did have a child's birthday party there that day, which I am sure is very unusual and they were having a great time in the hot tub..Didn't bother me, because as I said, we would rather enjoy the ocean that we can't at home. Later towards 4 my stomach did get very upset...but I will preface that by saying I have underlying issues...an ulcer maybe...and was ill that evening. Not sure if it was something I drank, etc...? or just a coincidence..I was better by the next morning...

**I would definitely book Nachi again, I would, however take a cooler with my own drinks just to be safe..The beach, the weather, and the staff were all awesome..Do not hesitate to book this trip...just avoid the strawberry fruity drinks... :) Truly..we would book it again. Thanks to all the staff there!

We were a party of 6 and by FAR this was the best port/excursion on the entire cruise. It was funny to see hte other beaches on either side of us and notice how PACKED they were with other cruisers. We felt like millionaires! We were sooo pampered and utterly relaxed!! I agree that the frozen fruity Margaritas and Daqaris (sp?) were not very good. But man, can they make a mean Dirty Banana. The beers were always icy cold and plentiful and the Coladas were good too. My husband commented that they probablyused inexpensive names in liquor (heck so does the cruise unless you ask!) but nothing was watered down. The service of our wait staff was excellent. The poor waiter had to walk down the beach to us, walk back with our order and walk back again with the drinks--and he did this every 20 minutes!!! There was a bit of a language barrier with the girls up fron when we first go there but it was not really a problem. I thought the food was superb--very authentic and plentiful. The hot tub was far from hot but was warming up thru the day. When we were ready to go we asked jokingly if we could take a drink to go and they whipped us some and gave us plastic cups!!! I was definately the hero of the group for "finding" and booking ths gem!!

After a while Reynaldo came around with a book and offered us excursions..we decided to go snorkeling around 10:30..perfect! He was our "capitan"...and took us out in his boat to a couple of reefs.

bnsilly, we're heading to Nachi next month...if you don't mind my asking, what did Reynaldo charge for the snorkel excursion? I presume he requires cash?

Thanks!

We were a party of 6 and by FAR this was the best port/excursion on the entire cruise. It was funny to see hte other beaches on either side of us and notice how PACKED they were with other cruisers. We felt like millionaires! We were sooo pampered and utterly relaxed!! I agree that the frozen fruity Margaritas and Daqaris (sp?) were not very good. But man, can they make a mean Dirty Banana. The beers were always icy cold and plentiful and the Coladas were good too. My husband commented that they probablyused inexpensive names in liquor (heck so does the cruise unless you ask!) but nothing was watered down. The service of our wait staff was excellent. The poor waiter had to walk down the beach to us, walk back with our order and walk back again with the drinks--and he did this every 20 minutes!!! There was a bit of a language barrier with the girls up fron when we first go there but it was not really a problem. I thought the food was superb--very authentic and plentiful. The hot tub was far from hot but was warming up thru the day. When we were ready to go we asked jokingly if we could take a drink to go and they whipped us some and gave us plastic cups!!! I was definately the hero of the group for "finding" and booking ths gem!!

Just a quick note: when we went on Jan 31, one in our group ordered the foo-foo red strawberry drink and didn't like it at all. The rest of us drank Tequila Sunrises and they were amazing! They were made with Cuervo 1800 (not the cheap stuff). We were kind-of impressed with that. We never asked for better tequila but were happy to see them using it.

RIgirl..NOW you tell me!! lol Will keep that in mind if I get that way again..;)

Jtmalt...no problem..it was $35 per person...He also had another reef that was further out that was $55 per person..We didn't want to do that our first time out...I thought the $35 was a very good price..He may be negotiable, not sure..we just went with it...

Side note...when you go out there is a young mexican girl that takes your pic with her digital camera...she will come back later with a picture all printed out with a nice Cozumel border, etc..for like $10. I didn't like our pic (my part in the pic) so I told her no..she offered it for $8, still no..then finally $5. I thought that was reasonable for the pic. If I had looked better in it I might have paid the $10. I realize these people are trying to make their living..Have a great time...

So I guess my question is ... has anyone else had trouble getting a lounge chair? Are there a lot of lounge chairs or not really? I am going in a couple weeks and it will probably be busy due to spring break, so I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem :p

So yes this is a new review...I think I may know the poster that had a less than stellar experience as I saw a group show up after noon expecting lounge chairs etc and were sort of grumbling as they were searching for chairs...:rolleyes: Here is my review...............

Husband and I arrived at Coz via Splendour at 7..took our time and departed the ship around 9:15. We decided to go to Nachi first and then come in around 5 and do some shopping afterwards....

Getting a taxi...no problem..We always asked the fare first and it was always what it should be...$15 each way...

Got to Nachi after about 10 minute taxi ride..

Nachi....WOW! We got there early in the day so we were one of the first there...The view was spectacular, the lounge chairs under palapas were plentiful and yes Mario greeted us always asking us if we wanted something to eat or drink...:p

We settled into our palapa (hut) and got some drinks and enjoyed the view..

*My only negative is that the mixed drinks I had..such as strawberry pina colada and strawberry daquiri were not good...tasted funny..(more on that later..)**

After a while Reynaldo came around with a book and offered us excursions..we decided to go snorkeling around 10:30..perfect! He was our "capitan"...and took us out in his boat to a couple of reefs. We had never been snorkeling before and saw lots of fish, sea turtles, a manta ray and a sting ray..Very cool..He took another guide with us that actually went into the water with us and pointed things out to us that I otherwise would have easily missed..very nice..(Armando???)

Finished snorkeling and returned to the beach under our palapa..Layed out in the sun...drank Sol beer and bottled water. Had a nice lunch..Husband had fajitas, I had cheese quesadillas..You can order off their menu. Guacamole was good! We thoroughly enjoyed the day and swam and played in the ocean..the weather was beautiful! The ocean was warm enough to go swimming..Didn't use the pool..can do that at home. They did have a child's birthday party there that day, which I am sure is very unusual and they were having a great time in the hot tub..Didn't bother me, because as I said, we would rather enjoy the ocean that we can't at home. Later towards 4 my stomach did get very upset...but I will preface that by saying I have underlying issues...an ulcer maybe...and was ill that evening. Not sure if it was something I drank, etc...? or just a coincidence..I was better by the next morning...

**I would definitely book Nachi again, I would, however take a cooler with my own drinks just to be safe..The beach, the weather, and the staff were all awesome..Do not hesitate to book this trip...just avoid the strawberry fruity drinks... :) Truly..we would book it again. Thanks to all the staff there!

Well they had every right to grumble IMHO>>> one of the big, repeated over and over, selling points of Nachi is "less crowed"..."limits amount of guest to 100 per day'....so they had every right to grumble if there were not chairs available...the club should have 100 chairs or whatever...

When booking an all drinks included outing, why on earth would anyone want to have to take a cooler with them???

Do not hesitate to book the trip?? why?? if one does not hustle there quckly like you did, looks like they could be SOL...outta luck....and yes, IF the hot tub I paid for was full with a kids birthday party I would not be real happy.

thanks for the review..it pretty much backs up the other one, glad you had a good time tho, glad your stomach problem was pretty minor.

:D We (myself and my husband) were at Nachi Cocom on March 8th. We arrived early (since the shops downtown don't open until 9:00am). We were the first ones there. It was beautiful and the service was wonderful. They were very friendly! Victor came to us later on in the morning and we scheduled a snorkeling tour. LOVED IT! By far the neatest thing that I have ever done!!! We were the only ones who booked a snorkeling trip so we basically got our own private snorkeling tour. We paid $35pp for about a 2 hour trip. We saw hundreds of tropical fish, one sting ray, two baracudas and one blow fish. I did get stung by lots of tiny jellyfish. They only stung me (not my husband or our tour guide). I probably got stung about 50 times on my legs but I only felt 10 of them. Not too painful. I wasn't sure what it was a first until our guide told me the bumps on my ankles and knees were from jellyfish. Oh, you also get free drinks on the snorkeling boat! We could also see from the boat that all the other beaches were packed!(6 ships were docked that day) I am so glad we did Nachi Cocom!

It was a cloudy day but by 10:30/11:00 the chairs were taken. DON'T wait until noon to show up! Why would you wait anyway???? I did see a family that was upset about not being able to find 4 to 5 chairs that were together. The staff seemed concerned but all I could think was why did they show up so late? Also, the staff also has to accomodate all the other "paying" patrons so they had to juggle between customers. There were a few children there but no one was annoying or distracting. When we first showed up (around 8:20am) we put our stuff on two chairs and took about a 1/2 mile walk on the beach. The water was a little chilly when I first got in but it was enjoyable! I was never cold and it was a very overcast sky. We found lots of neat shells. My husband even found a conch shell on the shore (in the water). It was sad to see the hurricane damage. It was still beautiful though.

As for drinks, my husband settled on a continous string of Coronas while I had our waiter pick out a drink for me. He brought me a dring called "Sex on the Beach" and it was wonderful! We also had chips and salsa, cheese sticks and nachos. All were very delicious! We would have eaten more but we left so that we could do a little shopping downtown. Ask for a drink to go and they will pour it in a plastic cup for you to drink on your way back! ;)

The restrooms were very clean. Of course there are people going in there wet (from the pool or ocean) so the floors might be wet. It is also outside so you can't keep everything out. They were the least of my concerns since I might have spent a total of 5 minutes in there (to change into dry clothes). Nachi Cocom also had outdoor showers to rinse off in.

The taxi driver had no problem taking us to Nachi Cocom. It was $15 each way and she was waiting for us when we told her we wanted to head back downtown.

If you want a more quiet day on a less crowded, sandy, beautiful day then go to Nachi Cocom. We would go back in a heartbeat! AND I am jealous if you are going there soon!

I'll post some pics as soon as we get them organized!

The price of the snorkeling trip goes down as the day progresses. At the beginning of the day it was $35/pp to go snorkeling. By the afternoon, we paid just over $100 for 6 to go, 5 of us snorkeling (one stayed in the boat).

Why would people even ask why others got there later...??? The club is supposed to be less crowded and only take res for 100 guests...IF they don't have chairs for 100 guests then they should take res for 70 or 65 or whatever amount of chairs they have...

FYI : the ship I am on, Glory, arrives at 10 am...by the time one gets off the ship, gets a cab, it could be 10:30, 11:00....so no way to be the "first"...

Also..it is a matter of preference..maybe people wish to shop first or see the museum or whatever....if they are saying they have reservtion at $49 then they should have a lounger..or take less people per day.

Hi my DH and I booked this excursion for the end of this month, I got worried when I read the bad review but feel much better after reading all the good ones! We booked th excursion from Island Marketing for $49 pp. All you can drink and eat, is this what most of you did also? I was worried a bit getting a taxi but it seems there everywhere from the posts, how about returning to the ship though, are they in the area then also? I can't wait for this place, it sounds like paradise! If you have any pictures please post them. Also, what do you recommend to take with me clothes wise off the ship, do they supply towels? Thanks, I hope to hear more reviews or better yet any tips to provide too :)

Thanks,

Lori

Hi my DH and I booked this excursion for the end of this month, I got worried when I read the bad review but feel much better after reading all the good ones! We booked th excursion from Island Marketing for $49 pp. All you can drink and eat, is this what most of you did also? I was worried a bit getting a taxi but it seems there everywhere from the posts, how about returning to the ship though, are they in the area then also? I can't wait for this place, it sounds like paradise! If you have any pictures please post them. Also, what do you recommend to take with me clothes wise off the ship, do they supply towels? Thanks, I hope to hear more reviews or better yet any tips to provide too :)

Thanks,

Lori

Yes it is all you can eat/drink. You need to bring a towel from the ship. They day we went, we wore coverups over our suits and then just put them back on with a towel wrapped around us to get back on the ship. We went straight from the resort to the ship - no shopping for us. They can call a taxi for you. Remember - all the other people there need to get back too. You won't be the only one. Other advise? Just enjoy the day! It's a wonderfully relaxing day at the beach! I posted a picture on one of these posts. Can't remember which one though.

Yes it is all you can eat/drink. You need to bring a towel from the ship. They day we went, we wore coverups over our suits and then just put them back on with a towel wrapped around us to get back on the ship. We went straight from the resort to the ship - no shopping for us. They can call a taxi for you. Remember - all the other people there need to get back too. You won't be the only one. Other advise? Just enjoy the day! It's a wonderfully relaxing day at the beach! I posted a picture on one of these posts. Can't remember which one though.

Thanks RIGirl! We don't plan on shopping either, so a cover up sounds perfect! Good to know to bring the towel too. I'm worried being there all day drinking and sunning and missing the boat :eek: We'll have to bring a waterproof watch! I bet the day flies by :( I wonder how busy it will be? I hope our ship gets there at a decent time so we can get a nice lounger. If you find the pictures please post ok! Thanks again and if you think of something within 8 days please post ok-

Lori:)

Here's the post where there are a few pics of the water. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=510341 There were some complaints a few weeks ago due to the weather stirring up some muddy water. My understanding is that it happens a couple times a year. Not a big deal - nothing to worry about. Just something Mother Natures throws in for good measure. ;)

That's the only pic I have posted. I have others but they need to be resized to be able to post them.

Archived