Shaving Help

I would think that a couple of practice runs would be a really good idea, so she gets the hang of it and hopefully will have less knicks by the time she gets on the cruise. I personally think that shaving gel really helps to because then you are able to see where you have shaved. There are travel size shaving gels at Target and they are perfect for a week long cruise.

Now, she does know that once she starts, she gets to do this forever, right? I'm 34 now, but I remember when I was in 6th grade, that I begged my mom to let me shave because the other girls were doing it - the typical story. It's been razor upon razor ever since then. :(

If you keep her away from disposable razors, there is far less chance of nicks and cuts. I almost never nick myself with my Venus razor, but always seem to manage if I use a disposable of any brand.

I'd have her start a couple of weeks before leaving, a moving ship is not a place to learn that new skill!

does she want to start shaving b/c shes interested in the act of it or is it more b/c the hair is really bothering her??? b/c if its the latter, i say just nair it off b4 the cruise (at least it'll last for the vacation)

As you know, shaving in those showers/bathrooms is pretty tough. I can't imagine a beginniner having a great success rate! LOL

I would have her start with the Schick Intuition, that has the shaving cream and razor all in one. It's easier that trying to juggle both in that tiny shower, and she'll be able to see her skin and hopefully cut herself less - at least that's how it works for me.

Awww poor little darling I remember it like it was yesterday..I was so excited I shaved everything including much to my regret my arms.I support previous poster get her one of the more expensive disposable razors and a good female shaving gel remind her to be careful behind the knees and ankles..and if she has brothers tell them to stay away from the bathroom for at least an hour!:eek:

1) I agree with the others. Let her start now to get some practice in...those showers just ain't safe, even for the most experienced cruising shaver!!

2) I'd also tell her to shave at night. I find that the sunscreen is what bothers me most. Stings when it goes on, then I get red bumps that last a couple of days. If I do it at night, the next day nothing bothers me.

3) Also, instead of expensive moisturizer, have her try after shaving, while still wet, applying baby oil, THEN drying off with a towel. I don't know why, but I find it very soothing.

1) I agree with the others. Let her start now to get some practice in...those showers just ain't safe, even for the most experienced cruising shaver!!

2) I'd also tell her to shave at night. I find that the sunscreen is what bothers me most. Stings when it goes on, then I get red bumps that last a couple of days. If I do it at night, the next day nothing bothers me.

3) Also, instead of expensive moisturizer, have her try after shaving, while still wet, applying baby oil, THEN drying off with a towel. I don't know why, but I find it very soothing.

All excellent points... A little demo by Mom, a nice quiet bath before the cruise with the door locked, a good razor and gel, NO brothers banging on the door, a little baby oil or a mild moisturizer post shave and then directly into bed. You know I have 3 boys and 1 daughter and the initial male face shaving is just as ceremonial!:D:D

One thing to consider, however: if she shaves in the bath, it should be right at the beginning. As the skin and the hairs start to soak in water, they relax and and swell very slightly -- just enough to make a close shave harder to come by. For us shaving veterans with more bristly hairs, it's not as big of a deal (although I still find it helpful), but with soft hair it could make a big difference.

I would have her start with the Schick Intuition, that has the shaving cream and razor all in one. It's easier that trying to juggle both in that tiny shower, and she'll be able to see her skin and hopefully cut herself less - at least that's how it works for me.

I agree with this one the Intuition is by far the best! I had another one I swore by before but got the Intuition as a free gift in the mail and rather than bring my other one on vacation a few years ago I figured I would bring the intuition with me and just throw it away...well it is now my favorite, I think I have only cut myself once with it, they make it very hard to cut yourself and they are wonderful because they have the soap/cream attached so there is no need for creams it's very easy to use and pack. I have gotten the best shave from this one and swear by it now.

My daughter had an Intuition razor for a while, I used it once and didn't like it so much. I thought it was bulky and I prefer not to use bar soap on my body. She now also uses a Venus razor and prefers it as well.

I honestly don't bother with shaving gels, never have. I use a bit of hair conditioner to shave, one less bottle of stuff in the shower.

To the poster stating something about a close shave, you really don't want a close shave, you want a clean shave. A close shave can cause skin irritation and razor bumps. There is a difference, I studied shaving in barber college umpteen years ago and was pretty good with a straight edge, I had a large shave clientele back then.

The reason you con't get the ingrown hairs with waxing is that the hair is not blunt at the end, as it is when you cut it off striaght at the skin line. The hair will be more tapered, growing in from the root. Applying too much pressure with a blade, as you would with a close shave, cutting the hair off blunt, the skin is damaged and heals over the hair, causing red bumps and ingrown hairs. A clean shave means you did not miss any hairs, but you will get regrowth sooner.

So, ladies (and gents) don't shave too close!

End of shaving lesson :)

• 1 month later...

Archived