Looking for Food

Hi Everyone!

Ok, this trip through the Mediterranean will be the longest trip yet (see my cruise countdowns), and I'm looking for food! I'm a passionate foodie and chef, and I'm looking for places to eat, places to buy food, and things I can have shipped home for later enjoyment (like cases of port and wine). Restaurants, central markets, farmer's stands, street food - it's all fair game to me.

Any suggestions or reccomendations would be great! Thanks! I also passionately collect Harley-Davidson shirts, but that's a whole other topic. :-)

Barbara

Which ports will you visit?

Without knowing this just a few hints.

Naples has very intersting small food shops on the main street.

Palermo has a great street market.

Many nice fish restaurants on the ocean front can be found in Cannes and Nice.

Ready to spoil? Try the Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo.

Our ports of call for the Eurpoean trip are as follows:

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples, Capri, Italy

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Corfu, Greece

Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Villefranche (Nice), France

Provence (Toulon), France

Barcelona, Spain

Alicante, Spain

Gibralter, UK

Lisbon, Portugal

Madiera, Portugal

Tenerife, Canary Islands

St. John's, Antigua

Miami, Florida

Thanks for the suggestions!

Barbara

Thanks for the list of the ports.

Rome:

In Rome there is a farmers market on the Campo dei Fiori every morning.

The Mercato Centrale (central market) is open for the general public from 10am on.

A bit out of the way but interesting is the shop at Sant'Anselmo, the seat of the Abbot Primate of the Benedictine Order. Here you can by products (including food) from Benedictine monastaries all around the world.

Traditional cakes and sweets can be had at the elegant Gran Caffè Doney and the Café de Paris on Via Veneto.

Many of the old grand hotels in this area have good restaurants, eg. the Eden, yet these are probably more suitable for long evenings.

One more point for Naples:

The area is well known for its Limoncello, a lemon liqueur. You can get good Limoncello elsewhere in Italy, too, but this one has same fame.

Lacrima de Vesuvio is one examples of the wines grown on the Vesuvios.

Florence:

The Palazzo Antinori is the ancient seat of the Antinori family which is amous for its wines. The head of the family was named winemaker of the year in 2006. The palazzo houses the Cantinetta Antinori where you can eat and drink wine.

The cake shop and cafe La Giacosa offers the Florentine speciality Torta della Nonna. Pegna is an old shop selling all kind of traditional food.

Another option would be to forsake Florence and organize a private tour to some of the wineyards of Tuscany.

For Nice, see if you can find an article in the New York Times travel section about a year ago about restaurants in Vieux Nice. The recommended restaurants sounded fantastic. We didn't manage to find any of them (the place is a bit of a maze), and ended up with an ersatz tourist meal, which wasn't bad, but not authentic at all. So watch out for tourist traps.

Archived