First-timer here, Question regarding ages and departure ports

Hi everyone, I've been recently looking at cruises for 2008 (planning ahead here) and upon the recommendation of one my sisters, we are strongly considering the Royal Carribean cruises. This is would actually be a rather large group of us going on the cruise, myself and my SO, my parents, two of my sister's and their husbands, and possibly my SO's best friend and girlfriend. (So in other words this is kind of a little family reunion for my side of the family, but also an opportunity for all of to go out on our own and have fun as well since we all have different interests) Our ages range from 23-late fifties. Are the Royal Carribean cruises enjoyable for everyone across that age span? The youngest would be myself and my SO, but we're not like the stereotypical college aged group of kids who like to drink and party.

Secondly, we would be departing from the East Coast. I live in New Jersey so we were looking at the Cape Liberty departure port, but it was recommended to my father that the cruise would be more enjoyable if we departed from one of the two ports in Florida. Is it worth the trip down there? That's about a 13 hour one way drive for us from where we are currently as compared to the 45 minute drive to Cape Liberty. My parents would be flying either way, so they're not too concerned about it.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all and any advice I can get!

I think you'd have a much greater choice of ships and itenerary if you drive down to Florida. I wish it was only a 13 hour drive for us, consider yourself lucky!

I think RCCL would be a wonderful choice for your group as it tends to cater to a wide age range.

Hi everyone, I've been recently looking at cruises for 2008 (planning ahead here) and upon the recommendation of one my sisters, we are strongly considering the Royal Carribean cruises. This is would actually be a rather large group of us going on the cruise, myself and my SO, my parents, two of my sister's and their husbands, and possibly my SO's best friend and girlfriend. (So in other words this is kind of a little family reunion for my side of the family, but also an opportunity for all of to go out on our own and have fun as well since we all have different interests) Our ages range from 23-late fifties. Are the Royal Carribean cruises enjoyable for everyone across that age span? The youngest would be myself and my SO, but we're not like the stereotypical college aged group of kids who like to drink and party.

Secondly, we would be departing from the East Coast. I live in New Jersey so we were looking at the Cape Liberty departure port, but it was recommended to my father that the cruise would be more enjoyable if we departed from one of the two ports in Florida. Is it worth the trip down there? That's about a 13 hour one way drive for us from where we are currently as compared to the 45 minute drive to Cape Liberty. My parents would be flying either way, so they're not too concerned about it.

You don't say what time of year you are taking about in 2008. I sailed out of there in Sept and it was wonderful. Easy 1 hour ride and we were on the boat. If you go in say Jan-Mar, then it will most likely be cool the first 1 1/2 days and the last 1 1/2 days or so. You can never tell with the weather though.

Secondly, there is plenty for all your age range and I think you would all have a good time. We have sailed with groups several times and my best piece of advice is don't try to do everything as a group. There are too many different preferences to try and do that. We all did our own thing during the day and then we would meet up for dinner. Make sure you all have your reservations linked so you get the same table/s for dinner.

You will have a great time no matter what you decide.

RCCL would be a good fit for your group. We've been on many different lines, but mostly on RCCL, and our observation has been that RCCL is more suited for families (and people of all ages) than others.

Definitely take the drive to Florida. You'll have much more variety of cruises to choose from. Happy cruising!!!

DH and I are both turning 35 this year and our DD turns 16. We cruised last year with my father whose 61 and loved it. There is plenty to do for all ages. We are not party people either, so RCCL works great for us.

We've not cruise out of Cape Liberty yet, but my in-laws have and said it was fine.

Hi there,

You'll have a great time no matter where you depart from - there are activities for all ages! I don't know if I'd want to drive 13 hours though - if you decide to leave from Florida, why not check on RCI's air/sea program? Most often, they can get you a pretty good fare including the transfers. I'll be sailing with a great group on the Splendour next month on a Transatlantic - we feel we know each other already! Can't wait! As you can tell by my name on the board, I do love cruising! Best way to travel I always say! Anyway, enjoy and I'm sure everything will work out fine for you. If you have any additional questions, you can E-mail me at cruiselover57@yahoo.com - be glad to be of assistance since I've been cruising since 1972 and the Song of Norway was my first cruise on RCI (known as RCCL back then)!

Ciao! Laurie

I don't know if I'd drive 13 hours--wouldn't be too bad getting to the ship, but driving 13 hours to get home???? When I get off the ship, I like to get on the plane and be home in a couple of hours!

Better itineraries are out of Fl. If there is something going out of NJ--I go for it!

Florida does give you more options for itineraries, but I’ve seen some good ones leave from your neck of the woods as well. I think the best thing to do is determine where you want to go instead of the departure city.

We have been sailing on RCCL because if offers something for every age group for our family. The youngest person sailing with us this summer is 20 and the oldest is 85! If you all book through the same TA there should be no problem with eating together….but always double check.

As for flights, we have always found much better flights on our own. There is more flexibility with which airline and flight time when you do your own air.

Enjoy planning. :)

Wow, thanks for the info everyone :) We're planning on going somewhere around May or June to the Carribbeans. Not sure if it'll be west/south/east I suspect that will depend on what's available.

I had another question, I was reading one of the threads on upgrades, and I was a little confused on upgrade from 'Cat E' and "Cat L' type of information. Am I correct in assuming that they are the levels? And which direction does that go in? I have a million and one questions I'm sure but I'll save those for the firsttimers board unless they relate to RCL :lol:

Archived