So how safe is Belize?

Kerrid

We have been to Belize several times on the cruise ship-We have done the ruins and the Old Belize River and loved it- we also did snorkeling there and one time my husband and I went outside the fence, found a taxi and spent about 3 hours with him driving us around the island- we felt perfectly safe and had no problems at all- We live for another cruise on Easter Sunday and one of our stops will be Belize- not sure what we will do this time

We have been to Belize twice and felt vey safe there. The first trip we shopped in the dock area then walked outside the fenced area and looked around. There were street vendors, an art gallery, a local arts & crafts center. We walked by a school and across to a park. No one approached but, they did speak and were very friendly - not pushy like in Jamaica. The second time we went cave tubing with a local company (not booked throught the cruise line) and had lunch at a local restaurant. There was an elderly lady at the restaurant making and selling baskets. I purchased one and it is one of my favorite souvenirs. We did cross a 'border' area on the way to cave tubing and there are armed guards. No problems.

If you are leary just stay in the fenced dock area and enjoy the shops. It is one of the few ports that actually sells some locally made items. We love Belize and will return in the future.

I've spent more than a week in Belize, all over the country and never once felt unsafe. We got into some small scrapes while we were out in the countryside too.

Don't worry about safety, but do take an organized tour. Belize City does not have any beaches. It has a very tiny area that is really of interest to most cruise ship passengers. It is not unsafe, but you have the potential to have much,much more fun out in the country or one one of the Cayes. It really is beautiful country, and so much history to learn about the Mayan culture!

My wife and I were in Belize City and Caye Caulker for a day last week. We didn't feel threatened or uneasy at any time, and we are certainly glad we ventured outside of the fenced-in tourist area, despite the numerous warnings that we've read here on CC. Sure, you are going to be approached by people trying to sell you something, but like many other areas in Central America, a polite 'no thank you' usually does the trick the first time. We walked down to catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker (which is about a 5-10 minute walk) and then on our way back did a little shopping and walked past the dock in the other direction to check out that area. Everyone that approached us did it in a friendly and polite manner and took our first 'no thank you' seriously. We weren't constantly being hit up, just mainly right outside the gate area. There are many other tourists walking around outside the fenced-in area while the ships are docked as well.

We have been to Belize twice. We enjoyed the restaurants, shopping, and entertainment in the secured port area. We ventured out of the port area on our first visit and were immediately approached and followed by some locals. We looked around a street market across from the gates of the port and a few nearby shops and found very little. Two rather large locals blocked our path as we tried to re-enter the port gate. The security person immediately removed them and ushered us inside the gate. We made all of our purchases inside the port area and found the prices to be about the same as outside the port and the selection was much better.

A couple of people in our group did the Cave Tubing with Yhonny while in Belize and loved it.

I've spent more than a week in Belize, all over the country and never once felt unsafe. We got into some small scrapes while we were out in the countryside too.

Don't worry about safety, but do take an organized tour. Belize City does not have any beaches. It has a very tiny area that is really of interest to most cruise ship passengers. It is not unsafe, but you have the potential to have much,much more fun out in the country or one one of the Cayes. It really is beautiful country, and so much history to learn about the Mayan culture!

I agree as have spent a lot of time in Belize over the past few years doing consulting work and have pretty much been all over the country at one time or another. Have never had a problem and the country, it's culture and the people are worth taking the time to learn about and enjoy. Belize City is not representative of the country as a whole and it's a shame that's the only thing that most cruisers experiance.

Tanker4

• 1 year later...

I was in belize in July of 2008. I found it to be completely safe. I arranged my own excursion to Altun Ha and wandered around Belize city in a taxi. We bounced all over San Pedro and Ambergris Caye in a golf cart without fear. The people were friendly, helpful and a joy to deal with. The food was awesome and the sites were incredible. I really didn't want to leave and am planning a return trip in 09. My wife and I never felt unsafe. Of course you want to take the usual precautions, like not carrying or flashing alot of cash, but the reality is I would take these same precautions in the large urban areas of the USA.

Belize is a great country you will love it and if you get a chance to snorkel or scuba your trip will be unbelizable.

Archived