So how safe is Belize?

Kerrid

Going to Belize on the Legend in April and the info I read on the US Dept of State website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1055.html it doesn't seem all that safe really?

How safe are these excursions? We wanted to do the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour and are now rethinking it...................

Very safe, we have been there twice, Carnival is currently building a new Cruise Terminal there, that alone says alot.

By the way, Im having problems opening up that Link, re-post it.

Fred

How safe are these excursions? We wanted to do the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour and are now rethinking it...................
We took Altun Ha excursion through Carnival 2 years ago. We never felt unsafe.

After seeing a little of Belize on the cruise, I wanted to spend more time there on a future vacation...hopefully that will happen in the not-too-distant future.

Just returned from Belize on 3/4/07 sailing on Valor. This was my third time to Belize. 1st time approximately 4 years ago. Had some problems with the locals. In 2005 again went to Belize and booked an excursion off the ship because of bad experience the first time. This time went into port, what a difference. Port is new and built very nice. Plenty of stores and restaurants. Still building. Some passengers said they did not feel safe outside of port area. I did not leave port area and had a wonderful time.

If you do a tour through the cruiselines or through a independant contractor-- you will be fine.

you dont want to take the tender in the hopes of walking around and finding something to do--

Just my opinion but I don't like Belize. Did the cave tubing the first time we were there and it was fun. Second time decided to just shop and did not feel safe outside the fenced area. If we go again I will definitely book an excursion.

Belize is a very small third world country. While it does have crime it isn't nearly as bad as many of the other countries in central America. Traveling around town on your own probably isn't a good idea, but it isn't that dangerous either.

We are planning a trip down there to stay for a week and get some diving in, you don't get to be one of the hottest spots in the world for diving if all your tourists get mugged, no matter how pretty the reef is.

Book an excursion or stay on the ship..it's not a place you want to "walk around and see the sights"...imo

That's not fair! Kerrid asked about safety, and Belize is as safe as most places.

I do agree that you really don't wantto "walk around and see the sights" though, but that's mainly because there aren't any to see.

That's not fair! Kerrid asked about safety, and Belize is as safe as most places.

I do agree that you really don't wantto "walk around and see the sights" though, but that's mainly because there aren't any to see.

DarkJedi,

What's not fair about the comment? '....mainly because there aren't any to see' seems to be less about safety and less on topic. :confused:

We were in Belize in October.

Personally, I would do a ship tour or an independent tour or stay inside the fence at the port. There are several bars right on the water...and a restaurant (Wet Lizard) that is an upstairs open restaurant and lots of small shops that are all inside the fence.

English is the main lanuage (thanks to the British) so communicating it not a problem.

The people we met were very nice. Unfortunately, they are very poor and the ships are their one opportunity to "make hay while the sun shines". Sadly this leads to some being more aggressive than tourist like. And they have their own problems with "illegal immigration" by a criminal element that adds to the problems.

So just use common sense. Community leaders are working hard to make this port tourist friendly. It is just going to take time.

BTW, several independent tour operators do a wonderful job...so as long as your desired tour does not go to far from the ship...I would not hesitate to use an independent with good recommendations. If you want to see something that is time consuming and a long distance from the port, I would stick to a ship excursion to make sure they wait for you if there is a problem.

There in November of 03 and loved it. We took an independent tour of the island and found it very safe. Had a wonderful person who took us out to the Tulum Ruins and she was very knowledge of everything. Would do it again in a heart beat.

When we went there last year on a Princess cruise they said not to walk around outside the fence. Walking around the port is no problem. We did do an excursion with the zip lines and it was fun. Even the excursion bus host told us it was unsafe outside the fence. But if you are with a pre-aranged tour group you will be fine. HTH

So much depends on where you go, your expectations, your level of being street-wise, etc. We were there a year ago and had mixed experiences. I went snorkeling off an island called "Paradise" with a friend, (which was paradise), while my wife and her friend went shopping in town. They said town was very impoverished and a bit spooky. They even found themselves being followed by a police officer just trying to keep them safe (intheir opinion). My wife had a lot of people coming up talking to her, trying to sell tours, etc, which became a bit overwhelming until she started answering in her made up version of Japanese. They left her alone after that.

Was there for the 5th time 2 weeks ago...had a ball. Enjoy each and every visit to Belize. It is like anyother 3rd world country, you need to be alert, walk with confidence and do not venture out all by your self.

I think that you will be very comfortable when there...if all the fools that we saw that were SH#% Faced from drinking did not get hurt/robbed/jumped, YOU will be fine.

There was some WILD drinking going on at the bar where the tender loads/unloads. You have to wonder what they are thinking getting so drunk in public, let alone another country!!!!

Going to Belize on the Legend in April and the info I read on the US Dept of State website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1055.html it doesn't seem all that safe really?

We were there a couple of years ago and did the cave tubing thru an independent. Never felt unsafe and really enjoyed the cave tubing and especially the lunch afterwards at Amigos. There was a group of us, 2 families of 4 and a friend. This was a graduation present for our seniors 3 girls all 18. The friend got friendly with the tour guide, they exchanged email and phone #'s. We'll to make a long story short, the friend flew back to Belize 3 weeks later to stay with this gentleman tour guide and his family and she stayed for about 4 weeks. Whether she felt unsafe or not I am not sure but if she had been my daughter I don't think she would have gone back.

Wow - thanks for all of your responses!

I'm taking it that Belize is safe w/the tours so I guess we'll go w/the Altun Ha/River Wallace excursion it's 6 hours and I don't think that leaves us much time within the fence at the pier.

Thanks everyone!

HI there...we have been over this on this board many times....my own "realistic" expectation of Belize is that the country looks beautiful and has many natural wonders and historic ruins etc...but the port CITY of Belize City is not a good place to wander around on your own or rent a car.

This is def a port where you need a "plan"....a booked tour of some sort...the thing that people overlook here is that this is just not a port where you can walk off the ship and grab a cab to a pretty beach like in St Thomas or Nassau.....

the beaches are a tender/ferry ride away....and quicker to get to from the ship tours which leave directly.

The Altun Ha River Wallace tour has gotten good reviews BUT>>> just a heads up, the latest reviews were not so postive, maybe Carnival changed operators or maybe the operators are just acting worse...

ie, the river ride is hot....open boat...and fast...but the main problem is that they take up a good hour of your time at a 'resort" where they probably get kickbacks...according to the recent Glory cruisers the resort smelled, the food did not look good, it had a small uncleaned "green" pool...and pushy vendors

Carnival does NOT list this food stop in the description....and was pretty vague about it when I had called them....the food is not included so they don't list it apparently.

I went ahead and booked a private tour with Trevor of smugglers run plantation....to the ruins and then to his lovely plantation for a family style lunch under a palupa....yum....he also does horseback riding excursions and gets raves

IMHO Belize should be great with a plan...the bad reviews are mostly people who had nothing planned and thought they could walk around outside the fence or quickly go to a beach ....there are lots of reviews on this board too...hth

• 3 weeks later...

Belize City, March 29, 2007: I walked around with my family (all adults) outside the port, and we did not find it to be unsafe. It was very impoverished with no trash removal and open sewers. Hard to see when you are on a luxury vacation, but a good reminder of the inequities in the world. The people were very nice. We had three people ask us if we needed help finding something. They would very much like to have more money spent outside the port walls. There is a fruit market about 1 mile from the port if you are looking for that type of experience. Just ask and people will kindly tell you how to find it. Will accept US dollars in the city, but will not give you change in US dollars, so bring singles. Nice little Catholic Church, Holy Redeemer, on the main drag outside the port walls. (outside and down to the left about 1/4 mile.) Also noticed an internet cafe at the major intersection just before the church. I think the rates were about $4.00 per hour or so- much cheaper than onboard. All in all though, unless I have an excursion booked next time, I'll stay onboard.

The most hostile thing I saw was in port at the pharmacy. Overheard a guy ask the pharmacist if the drugs were fakes. I'd advise not asking this.

Archived