Journey Bermuda $$$ Down Again

richsea

I just noticed that prices for Journey to Bermuda have again been reduced on Celebrity's site. I have been tracking prices for the 7/28 sailing in a Cat. 2A balcony cabin. January total cost for 2 was $5232; February; $4732; & today's price is $3832. That is a decrease of $1400! I thought that the original fares were way too high. IMO, now it may pay to consider a Bermuda cruise on Journey. But maybe if I wait one more month............???:confused:

I got email regarding a slash in prices yesterday. With the prices slashed it still would cost me 500 per person more to go this summer,(going the same week) than it did last summer. This is basing it on the cheapest inside this year vs. the highest cat oceanview last summer.

I would suspect many past Bermuda X cruisers are either not rebooking due to increase in price or are waiting until last minute to see how the prices really really drop.

I got email regarding a slash in prices yesterday. With the prices slashed it still would cost me 500 per person more to go this summer,(going the same week) than it did last summer. This is basing it on the cheapest inside this year vs. the highest cat oceanview last summer.

I would suspect many past Bermuda X cruisers are either not rebooking due to increase in price or are waiting until last minute to see how the prices really really drop.

I think that you are right. I know that is exactly what I am doing!

I paid just under $2700 for a Cat 5 outside on Zenith for a end of July sailing last summer. At the latest fare, it would cost an additional $1100 total for a balcony.

Guess I cant blame X for trying to see what the traffic will bear but they sure found out in a hurry that they were way out of line. Considering the fact that the distance traveled to and from Bermuda, and the fact the ships spends 2 plus days tied up, the fuel costs have to be considerably less per diem than for a Caribbean cruise.

Despite that the ships were built for the classy operation that Rennaissance was, the size of the cabins is miniscule compared to other X ships - that has to be why they are adding more to bring in more revenue. But once the ship begins cruising, there will be a lot of b***ching about cabin size. Just read some of the threads on Princess about Tahitian and Pacific Princess.

Celebrity Journey and Quest are not going to be the typical mass market cruises. If they are anything like Oceania- you are going to love them. We had a very relaxing journey on Regatta- and the food was the best we have experienced afloat.

But it is a different product and won't appeal to people looking for much in the way of onboard activities. It will be the pool, spa and bridge lessons. Not much else going on.

Rich, unfortunately, I won't be waiting around to see the price drop. I booked another cruise and cruiseline.

Hopefully next summer X will have one of the C class going to Bermuda. I don't mind docking at King's Wharf. The ferry/bus system is so easy to navigate. I loved the 4 days docked!

I just refused to pay the price X was asking for and still is asking for to cruise Bermuda when almost the same fare will buy me Alaska.

I'm not surprised that Celebrity is reducing the prices for the Journey's Bermuda cruises. The initial introductory prices were absurdly high. I look forward to the original reviews in May to see what kind of cruise experience the Journey will be providing.

We were X fans (6 cruises) until we were disappointed (food and entertainment declined) with a cruise on the Connie. We tried Oceania and loved it. Standard balcony cabins were approx same size as cat b cabins on the Millinium class . We're giving X another try on the Journey to SO america hoping that what we heard is true ie trying to copy the O approach for its smaller ships. I also hope the price will drop for this cruise as it is almost as much as O.

JMO but I think the price drop has to do with the Bermuda itinerary vs. ship.

In the past it seems like a vast majority of people taking this itinerary were within driving distance and what made this Bermuda intinerary attractive is price/4 day stop over/and ability to take it at the last minute. Since the price almost doubled, many of us have moved on and booked other things in its wake.

Very true. I forgot as I usually would take the fall Bermuda cruises and after Labor Day, very little school age kids.

The last 2 Bermuda seasons right around July the prices would bottom out with an inside running $499 and outside starting at $599. Last 2 Bermuda cruises cost me and DH 1500 with port taxes for the highest cat. ocean. Nice price and great cruise.

I just noticed that prices for Journey to Bermuda have again been reduced on Celebrity's site. I have been tracking prices for the 7/28 sailing in a Cat. 2A balcony cabin. January total cost for 2 was $5232; February; $4732; & today's price is $3832. That is a decrease of $1400! I thought that the original fares were way too high. IMO, now it may pay to consider a Bermuda cruise on Journey. But maybe if I wait one more month............???:confused:

Oh wow! I booked in January... I just looked up my stateroom category and it went down 1000 dollars. Does anyone know if I can get the discounted rate at this point? I didn't find anything on their website about this. I've only paid the deposit at this point... we're not sailing until August/07.

I contacted celebrity, i'm waiting for them to call me back. My TA was not in today... I'm calling her in the morning! I want my discount! :D

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of situation....? thanks!

Oh wow! I booked in January... I just looked up my stateroom category and it went down 1000 dollars. Does anyone know if I can get the discounted rate at this point? I didn't find anything on their website about this. I've only paid the deposit at this point... we're not sailing until August/07.

I contacted celebrity, i'm waiting for them to call me back. My TA was not in today... I'm calling her in the morning! I want my discount! :D

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of situation....? thanks!

No I haven't but aren't you within the 90 day no penalty window?

What was your category?

You all just outlined the reasons why we are sailing on the Crown Princess this summer.

Journey is not family friendly (we are a family). It's way over priced. Twice we sailed Zenith to Bermuda for $1800 for three of us in a cabin. A balcony is not really needed for Bermuda itineraries as you are off the ship so much. And lastly, it was an easy drive for us... so there was no airfare to contend with along with all the pre-planning that comes along with booking flights, packing for flights.

And... we got to enjoy the most wonderful crew there is. They were all simply a delight to deal with and to get to know. The food was very good, the entertainment was enjoyable and the ship was just the right size. Zenith was the perfect ship for us to the perfect summer destination. We are sorry to see her go. Journey does not fit our needs at all and so we have moved on to something else.

I too would love to see a C-class ship go to Bermuda but I don't hold out much hope for this. Karen, I agree that getting around Bermuda is so easy that being at the dockyards would not really deter me. I just hope that one day we will see X return to the Caribbean during the summer months.

You all just outlined the reasons why we are sailing on the Crown Princess this summer.

Journey is not family friendly (we are a family). It's way over priced. Twice we sailed Zenith to Bermuda for $1800 for three of us in a cabin. A balcony is not really needed for Bermuda itineraries as you are off the ship so much. And lastly, it was an easy drive for us... so there was no airfare to contend with along with all the pre-planning that comes along with booking flights, packing for flights.

And... we got to enjoy the most wonderful crew there is. They were all simply a delight to deal with and to get to know. The food was very good, the entertainment was enjoyable and the ship was just the right size. Zenith was the perfect ship for us to the perfect summer destination. We are sorry to see her go. Journey does not fit our needs at all and so we have moved on to something else.

I too would love to see a C-class ship go to Bermuda but I don't hold out much hope for this. Karen, I agree that getting around Bermuda is so easy that being at the dockyards would not really deter me. I just hope that one day we will see X return to the Caribbean during the summer months.

I so agree, Lori! I wish X would have kept Zenith for our Bermuda jaunts! She wasn't the fanciest or most modern ship, but she was great for all of us that loved going to Bermuda! I agree about the size, service and staff. I have no complaints about my Bermuda cruises and I even took one that got diverted! Great memories all of them. She will be sorely missed. I know there are lot of "us" out there that will miss her.

However, I would still love to see a C class take the itinerary, even though, I too don't think it will happen. :(

We wer on the Millie TA on Nov 24, 2006. There were various pirce decreases. Our was a Denior Citizen and the CC cabins went doun about 1300. We got our last discount after we had paid the final payment. Other Balcony cabins went down to non Seniors.

We're suppose to be going on May 26th but when they moved us from the Zenith to the Journey they didn't give my friend a cabin and they still won't assign her one even through final payment is due tomorrow. If we still go I'll let you know how it was.

Pat from Old bridge

I just looked at the price for our 09/08/07 Journey cruise and the price has gone up $300 for cat 1A cabin. As for the Dockyards, only one large ship can be docked at a time, so a second ship would mean tendering to shore for those folks.

I just looked at the price for our 09/08/07 Journey cruise and the price has gone up $300 for cat 1A cabin. As for the Dockyards, only one large ship can be docked at a time, so a second ship would mean tendering to shore for those folks.

The Journey will be docking in St. George & Hamilton and not in King's Wharf. RCI, HAL, Princess & NCL ships will be docking at King's Wharf.

Celebrity seemed to have overlooked the fact that the main reason that many people cruised to Bermuda was because it was cheaper than a land based vacation given the high cost of food and lodging in Bermuda. By asking such high prices for the Journey, they made the land based vacations seem reasonably priced.

Celebrity seemed to have overlooked the fact that the main reason that many people cruised to Bermuda was because it was cheaper than a land based vacation given the high cost of food and lodging in Bermuda. By asking such high prices for the Journey, they made the land based vacations seem reasonably priced.

You are absolutely right Jerry. We will probably do just that.:)

• 1 month later...
hi, thanks for responding... we're category 06.... and we've got 156 days to go....?

So whatever happened with your $$ for your cruise? Did your TA call for you and did you get a refund? $1000 is a lot of difference in price! Please let me know the end of this story!

Kim

Archived