Where is my cabin?

vowsatsea

When I booked my cruise through my travel agent, I did the "guaranteed cabin" and I paid for an inside cabin. I've never been on the ship before, but I have a feeling I'm on the lowest deck.

I'm in stateroom 4001. Does anyone know where that is on the ship? Is the only thing below me, the actual ocean? I was hoping for a little higher, but we don't have enough money to be picky.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm in stateroom 4001. Does anyone know where that is on the ship? Is the only thing below me, the actual ocean? I was hoping for a little higher, but we don't have enough money to be picky.

Yes, you are in one of the lease desireable rooms on the ship, but if it was a choice of staying home or staying in that room, there would be no contest. Generally I would expect crew quarters to be on the decks below 4 so I think it will be quiet if nothing else.

Remember, you'll be on a cruise :D and I'll be at work.:mad:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/deckplan.html?shipCode=DAWN

Well, on the bright side, you are on a cruise! Some people like the lower decks as there is less motion! And on the bright side, when it comes time to get on and off the ship you probably won't be far from the gangway!

It looks like you're not sharing walls with neighbors...

Hi Sabrett,

Here's the link to the Dawn's deck plan:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/deckplan.html?shipCode=DAWN

Cabin 4001 is on the lowest passenger deck, but there are several decks below you that don't show on the plans since they are crew and mechanical areas.

While it's not a "great" cabin, you should have no problem with motion since it's so low on the ship. Be sure to bring a nightlight as it will be very dark in an inside cabin!

It's also possible that you'll be upgraded, either before you leave or at the pier.

Have a wonderful cruise, no matter where you are :) !

:( I guess I shouldn't be picky. What are the chances of us getting a different room through the "guaranteed cabin". Our TA said something like you get the least desirable room but then if something else opens, they can upgrade you for no charge.

If I were to call up a week before the cruise, what are the chances of them upgrading us for a low charge?

Unless there is some particular noise source nearby, there is nothing inherently worse about being on deck 4. You have a little longer elevator ride to some places, so what? Almost all the inside cabins are the same size. It's not like the view will be any different. :) In theory the motion is a little less on the lower decks.

I encourage you to relax and go with the flow.

Having an inside cabin encourages you to get out and do more.

That's a good thing if you're an energetic sort.

Since there are no natural light cues, you just need to set alarm clocks (or use wake up feature on your phone) to keep on some kind of schedule.

Or not, since it's your vacation! :)

p.s. the dawn is a great ship you're going to have a great cruise

:( I guess I shouldn't be picky. What are the chances of us getting a different room through the "guaranteed cabin".

You are close to the elevators and the motion shouldn't be bad...:) .

And yes, you could still move around. When was your sailing? Did you say? (I'll have to check)

You can call your TA and let her know you might be interested in any upsells if they become available. Maybe there will be some at the last minute.

Even if not, I'd take that room anyday to be on the sailing.:D And as for an inside room, be careful, you never know what time of day it is and its easy to oversleep.;)

Thanks everyone!

We're sailing out on May 26th, 2007. We definitely plan to bring an alarm clock and night light! I made that mistake the last time.

I was just hoping to be closer to the top deck. I did the same thing for my first cruise and we ended up being on Deck 10, which I loved. I'm energetic and I'd rather take the stairs than wait for an elevator, but that's okay. I don't plan on spending much time at all in the room.

I'm just picturing a small, dark and dingy deck, with our room practically being the size of a closet. :eek: Hope I'm wrong!

We're sailing out on May 26th, 2007.

There's still time for it to change again. Check periodically and you may see a different cabin number.

I'm energetic and I'd rather take the stairs than wait for an elevator

From deck 4 to 12 all week, you'll be in great shape when you return!:p

Unless there is some particular noise source nearby, there is nothing inherently worse about being on deck 4. You have a little longer elevator ride to some places, so what? Almost all the inside cabins are the same size. It's not like the view will be any different. :) In theory the motion is a little less on the lower decks.

I encourage you to relax and go with the flow.

Having an inside cabin encourages you to get out and do more.

That's a good thing if you're an energetic sort.

Since there are no natural light cues, you just need to set alarm clocks (or use wake up feature on your phone) to keep on some kind of schedule.

Or not, since it's your vacation! :)

p.s. the dawn is a great ship you're going to have a great cruise

Excellent advice!

We have a a cabin on deck 4 for ours and actually I'm looking forward to NOT being in the main thoroughfare between clubs, restaurants and everything else. We only plan to be down there for minimum of time, only for sleeping really so I'm hoping it is kind of out of the way.

Sure there are nicer cabins, but I think maybe if I had spent the extra money on a luxe room I'd have felt like I had to spend more time in there to get my $$ worth. After all, Deck 4 gets there the same time as deck 11.

I was way forward with an inside cabin on my most recent cruise on the Sun. I looked at it this way-I ate enough that I needed a cabin location that required some extra walking ;). It really didn't present any problems at all.

-Monte

I was way forward with an inside cabin on my most recent cruise on the Sun. I looked at it this way-I ate enough that I needed a cabin location that required some extra walking ;). It really didn't present any problems at all.

-Monte

That's a good way of looking at it!

The cabins on the lower decks are exactly the same as the cabins on the higher decks. You are just a little farther away from the "action". That's actually not a bad thing. We've never had a problem with a low deck cabin but we had a terrible experience on a more expensive, high deck cabin that was below the pool deck. I can't believe we spent more money to be kept up all night by the deck parties overhead.

You'll feel less rocking and you have the added bonus of walking off some of the calories from dinner. :)

The cabins on the lower decks are exactly the same as the cabins on the higher decks. You are just a little farther away from the "action". That's actually not a bad thing. We've never had a problem with a low deck cabin but we had a terrible experience on a more expensive, high deck cabin that was below the pool deck. I can't believe we spent more money to be kept up all night by the deck parties overhead.

That's what I'm hoping. I looked up the location of one of the other cabins we were offered and it was right on the main drag to the 24/7 restaurant.

YIKES!!!!!:eek:

LOL, beachbummama!!

We've been inside "down in the dungeon where we row on Tuesdays" to quote my DH..and loved it..very quiet...and any cruise is a fun cruise...

Word to the wise..if you bring an electric alarm clock..the ships power sometimes cycles faster or slower and your clock may not keep very good time..so check it against the TV clock.It also makes a great night light.

Oh and bring a power strip cause there's only one plug!

Have a great time!

Hi Sabrina and Brett: We have been on deck 4 and 10 on the Jewel. Same exact cabin layout. We chose deck 4 on the Pearl January. No one walks past your cabin unless they have a nearby cabin. It is very private and quiet. We have now booked our family to go on a cruise in November on the Pearl and deliberately turned down the "free" upgrades offered to deck 8 in order to stay on deck 4. Reason #1-Definitely less motion. #2-Getting off the ship at the ports is a breeze. You walk out of your cabin and the exit is right there. (Everyone else is standing on the stairs waiting to get off). :D

I always have booked the lowest inside cabin. That is all I am willing to pay. For the last 4 cruises, I have booked a guarantee and have always received an upgrade, and not from inside to inside, but inside to outside. You take your chances on where you will be. You will either be where they originally put you, or higher.

If it makes you feel any better -- we were on deck 2 twice on the old NCL Sea. First time with a guarantee cabin, second time we chose our cabins and stayed there again. Talk about feeling like it was your day to man the oars... but I don't mind the lower decks.

Do be aware, however, if you're tendering at all, that you may be awakened by the sound of the anchors lowering -- scared me out of my wits on our first cruise. I couldn't imagine WHAT that horrible noise was and thought the ship was sinking :o . I realized after about 30 seconds that what I was hearing was the sound of the chains lowering the anchors, but it was rather startling -- to put it mildly.

Archived