Tracy Arm Excursion

corniglia

Sailing Radisson next year and there is a morning sailing Tracy Arm. I am wondering is it still worth doing the extra excursion offered on a catamaran- is it a lot more close up than viewing from the ship?

Many thanks

Sue

It is definately superior in viewing compared to a big cruise ship. Is your ship also sailing Tracy Arm??? If so see if the add on is available. Otherwise-if you are first time Juneau visitor- you may be better off with some of their great activities?? Tough choices indeed.

Yes it appears the ship is sailing Tracy Arm for about 3 hours. (and the add on is offered) I wondered given that Seven Seas Mariner is a little smaller if it got closer to glaciers etc than the larger vessels. As you say- so many decisions to make!! Worse for someone like me who is a planning FREAK.

thanks for your input. Sue

Corniglia, do the catamaran! We just got back from the NCL Sun. The Sun was supposed to cruise Tracy Arm/Sawyer but we booked the catamaran anyway. Thank goodness we did.

Its great. The excursion gets you "up close and personal" with the glacier(s). The Sun could not get close enough to even SEE the glacier because there was so much calving activity previous to our arrival it couldn't navigate past the icebergs... that activity also prevented us on the excusion from getting close to the south glacier. You'll see more wildlife (seals/porpoises/whales) because the catamaran has time to slow down or stop for better views. The catamaran also gets you close the this torrential waterfall, actually sticking the bow of the boat into the cascade...if you are up top or out back you WILL get soaked.

Have you ever had a blue mint hard candy, those round flat ones that look like a butterscotch candy but blue??...well, thats the best color description I can think of for the color or the face of the glacier after a piece has calved off. Absolutely fantastic, not to be missed if at all possible.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm jealous. The glacier wasn't actively calving when we were there. However, I agree with you that calving or no calving this is a spectacular excursion. Maybe next time it will give us a great calving display.

Corniglia, do the catamaran! We just got back from the NCL Sun. The Sun was supposed to cruise Tracy Arm/Sawyer but we booked the catamaran anyway. Thank goodness we did.

Its great. The excursion gets you "up close and personal" with the glacier(s). The Sun could not get close enough to even SEE the glacier because there was so much calving activity previous to our arrival it couldn't navigate past the icebergs... that activity also prevented us on the excusion from getting close to the south glacier. You'll see more wildlife (seals/porpoises/whales) because the catamaran has time to slow down or stop for better views. The catamaran also gets you close the this torrential waterfall, actually sticking the bow of the boat into the cascade...if you are up top or out back you WILL get soaked.

Have you ever had a blue mint hard candy, those round flat ones that look like a butterscotch candy but blue??...well, thats the best color description I can think of for the color or the face of the glacier after a piece has calved off. Absolutely fantastic, not to be missed if at all possible.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm not sailing NCL, but an interested in the tour. Can you tell me the company it is run through?

Archived