I Love to Cruise - What is your favorite thing?

ekerr19

We have had no other vacation that compares with cruising... what is it? what do we REALLY love? The pampering? The meals? The relaxation? The ports?

What makes a cruise for you?

For us, it the excitement - the anticipation, meeting our CC buddies on board - meeting up with old HAL friends - getting away from the hustle & bustle of everyday life... spending quality time with our kids...?

Is it ALL good? Please share!

i also love to cruise save all my money and then go after bills are paid, counting down till september for my annual alaska cruise also some times i don't even get off the ports since i have an extended family aboard and spend time with them. i have been sailing with hal since the late 80"s so most of the crew i have known a long time, i book a different "damn ship" every time since i know there will besomeone i know on board. its the perfect vacation for me and i think at this point its a addiction i can deal with!!!!!!!!!;)

I think of a cruise as "Fantasy Land" for adults. Comfort. Service. Food. Activities. An afternoon nap. New friends. Old friends. And... peace and quiet. A good book. A new port of call or a favorite port of call. The same bartender as last time. My favorite wine steward. High Tea! A world class art collection. Wine tasting and a cooking class. Not winning trivia and not caring one bit. No laundry to do, no cooking, no cleaning. The only thing better than a cruise is two cruises back to back.

Wow. I can't even think of all the reasons.

Some obvious ones. Unpacking and packing once. Having the resort move you from one place to another. I also think that there is something inherently relaxing, rejuvenating about being on the water.

It also seems to lack the disadvantages of other vacations. I don't think I would ever go on a tour. Getting on and off a bus, packing and unpacking for one night at a time at different locations is not something I would find relaxing. The rush of some other vacations. "We have to leave for the theme park by 8:00 AM to avoid the crowds. Let's make sure we eat by 10:30 before the restaurants get too crowded. What time should we leave to go to dinner and where should we go?" You get the idea.

Don't have to worry about a consensus on activities. I can partake in activities while DW relaxes on deck with a book. Or I can relax in the pool while DW gets a massage.

The cost is part of it. I can usually get to Florida for under $200 pp, and then the cruise is relatively inexpensive compared with staying at a resort. And then I wind up in the Caribbean, or some other destination I don't usually have access to. To fly to these destinations would cost me 2 - 3 times as much, and I haven't yet paid for the vacation.

For me? the pampering, meeting old friends from the crew, no cooking cleaning, bed making, doing nothing or everything, good weather(!!) staying onboard when everyone else is getting off....so many things.....jean :cool: :o ;)

Before we discovered that cruising was very affordable we usually did All-Inclusives...I loved them but was absolutely bored spending 7 days at the same place.

Cruising for me = All-Inclusive (without free cheap drinks, which we can live without) + going different places. What could be better? ;)

All of the above! Especially for me it's the total relaxation. We have always had a veranda because I spend lots of time out there. I don't care if it's hot or cold. This is a private place where I can go when I'm ready for some purely quiet time ... either reading or simply vegetating. There's just something magical about watching the sea passing by.

Being way out to sea, out of sight of land and watching for whales and dolphins. The bonus is that I don't have to buy and stow the food, raise the sail, cook on an alcohol/kerosene stove, pump the water, or do the navigating to get there.

Oh yeah, and the wonderful teak deck chairs, although DH was wise enough to surprise me with one of my own as soon as we got engaged. Maybe he wants me to stay home some, too.

The essence of cruising for me is the sybaritic lifestyle it affords. The escape from the world's imperfections. Luxurious surroundings and the montage of spectacular sights. And meeting so many wonderful people.:)

I love...

1. The way the HAL crew makes me feel special
  2. I can have (nearly) anything I want and it's served with a smile
  3. Playing Craps in an evening gown (and winning)
  4. Relaxing on my veranda with a tall flute of pretend champagne and a tray of hors d'oeuvres
  5. Ordering multiple menu items and leaving the dishes behind
  6. Lying on a float at Half Moon Cay and turning over once in awhile (for 3 or 4 hours)

Archived