Oboard Photos...a better way? opinions please

loungelizard

On my 2/25 Miracle cruise my DGF and I must have had dozens of photos taken by Carnival photograpers but couldn't seem to find them all when they were displayed. After the cruise we visited Discovery Cove and Seaworld and were impressed by the way that photos were handled there. Instead of taking the time to search through thousands of developed photos, you get to view and select your pics on their computer system. You can get other park pics added to your computer "album" as well. Once your album is coded, the photographers simply add the photos to your personal album and you can view them whenever you choose without the worry of missing any of the good ones. This system makes it much easier and faster to select the quality pictures that you really want to keep. I'm wondering if any cruise line use this system, and if not, why not?

I agree there should be a better way, we spent soooo much time searching for our photos as we took a decent amount but not a ton of them, also...a friend we made on the ship actually picked up someone else's picture and purchased it, it was some guys that she met on the ship and she knew they werent buying them and thought that the picture was funny but honestly, to me this means that anyone can pick up your pictures and purchase them then which is discomforting because no one said a thing when she chose to buy them.

I like the idea of viewing them on a computer as well. That would save so much time and there wouldn't be any fingerprints on those glossy pix!! IMO, it seems like a waste of money (for CCL) to develop all of those pix anyways.

I think they may find that people will buy more pics if they actually have them in their hands. I've heard many times people trying to decide which picture and comparing side by side and just saying 'forget it' and getting both pics. It also gives people the opportunity to sit with friends and look at the pics and decide. I think they might lose $$ if they went to the machines because too many pics are taken on the cruise.

I agree at discovery cove... that worked out really well but it was only several picture options.

Diane

I like the idea of viewing them on a computer as well. That would save so much time and there wouldn't be any fingerprints on those glossy pix!! IMO, it seems like a waste of money (for CCL) to develop all of those pix anyways.

i am sure they wouldnt do it if they lost money on it

No to mention, we are moving to a digital society. I'd be more likely to buy more photos if I could purchase one or two of them in hard copies but also in digital format. I'd probably purchase more. It's also less cost for the photographer to have them done digitally. It's faster and more convenient, as well.

Seems to me there could be a better way, but I sure haven't thought of it!

I will only spend "so" much time looking at all those photos to see if I can find us. Usually on a "fun day at sea." And we rarely purchase them. Truthfully, they'd sell more to me if they would hire someone to airbrush all my wrinkles out and photoshop a few pounds off me!

It does seem like they would save money and not waste all that photo paper and time to print all of the picture. I can not say how many pictures were just snapped of DH and I and we hardly bought any of them. Seems like a huge waste. Maybe it would even lower the cost of the pictures, then more people would buy more pictures.

I wonder if there is a way to get the pics onto the TV in the room at some point during the cruise. That way the cruise passenger(s) could take there time and privately shop for there photos from the room... Maybe its not possible... Just an idea.

I wonder if there is a way to get the pics onto the TV in the room at some point during the cruise. That way the cruise passenger(s) could take there time and privately shop for there photos from the room... Maybe its not possible... Just an idea.

I believe there has to be a way to get them on the TV in the room. Just use the S&S card when taking the photo's. I wrote a letter to CCL after my last cruise with this suggestion. It is such a shame to shred all of those photos that go wasted. And in January there were so many photos they did not have room for them all. We were all standing there going through stacks of pictures. I finally decided it wasn't worth it and gave up. I even had a photo coupon and didn't get to use it because I couldn't find the pics.

Technology today is wonderful - they should use it IMHO.:)

Technology today is wonderful - they should use it IMHO.:)

First what is

Proud Member of FOC

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

from

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=foc&Find=find&string=exact

A facial recognition system is a computer-driven application for automatically identifying a person from a digital image. It does that by comparing selected facial features in the live image

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_recognition_system

I believe there has to be a way to get them on the TV in the room. Just use the S&S card when taking the photos.

Sounds like a good option.

Our last two cruises we found the pictures in the photo gallery to be really well organized...bet out by time you got off in port or early of late seating. Also the formal backgrounds were so different they were easy to find.

We have gotten some excellent photos on the ship - much better than portraits we have had done at home.

Payd:)

Thanks for all of your input. I really like the idea of viewing pics on TV...it would avoid all those passengers standing around blocking the gallery trying to decide which pics they wanted. I am willing to bet they would sell more pics this way.

On our last cruise, on the formal nights they gave us a card, so if we took a photo at F and then G and H, they set the photos to those groupings, it made it a little easier sinc eyou just had to search those areas.

If you remember what you were wearing, usually that's helpful. Also, if you ask the people working there, they're AMAZING at helping to locate them.

this is so very true. If you need help - jsut remember what color you were wearing and the background. Notice that all color clothing is together. -

Dont group all your photos together either--coz the next day they will be back to their original spot.

We dont get a lot of photos taken anymore since finding them is such a pain.

On the Elation last year the diningroom pictures were organized by diningroom and seating time which helped, it did take a few minutes to find but IMO a computer screen viewing system would only slow things down. Can you imagine the line of people waiting to see their pictures? I would assume this process worked at Discovery Cove because of fewer people.

Archived