Taking alcohol on Princess

Smartcookie

I'll answer 2 questions in one.

First - play21cw - I typically take 3 cases of beer with me in my checked luggage - all cans. As I have said, I never have a problem, just space them in my luggage to stay under the weight limit.

Ice - once we are on the ship, I talk to my stewart first thing and tell them to keep my big cooler full of ice every day. (I back a big collapsable cooler with a plastic insert to keep in the room).

Then I also tell them to empty the fridge so I can use it for my own stuff (water/soda/hubby drink juice).

I also ask them to come by first thing in the morning to fill my roller cooler that we take off the ship each day. Do you really think the stewarts are going to say anything? They know where their money comes from. We alway leave an extra tip since they take care of us so well.

Hope that answers the questions. We are getting so close to leaving now, I am so excited!!!!

Hi..my husband always packs beer in his checked luggage..never had a problem..we were on the Grand in 2006 and the Crown last month and he was able to buy beer at a store on the islands and carry back on board...a couple of times he even asked and they told me it was ok....not sure about other liquors but the beer didnt seem to be an issue

My experience with taking booze in your luggage is that in the last 26 cruises I have been on, I have never had a problem packing booze in my checked luggage. I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and put them in a white kitchen bag (tied to prevent any spillage). One funny story, while on a cruise to the Carribean, think it was either NCL or Royal C., I found a note on my cabin door to come to the purser desk to claim my luggage. I was told by the girl at the desk, that there was some thing suspicious in one of my luggage. She asked me if i would be kind enough to open my luggage for her. I opened the luggage and right on top was a large bottle of mouthwash. She said "oh" "that must have been what they saw on the xray. I of course agreed with her. Right below the mouth wash and one layer of clothing under was a bottle of Crown royal, Tequila and Gin...........I remember shouting silently YES Yes as i rolled the luggage to my cabin.........lol ...I am on the Caribbean Princess on April 28 to the Eastern Caribbean.........hope the luck does not run out.....lol

well it sounds like i am going to be packing my booze away with checked luggage.

I love beer and would love to bring some, i was thinking of bringing bottle necks, but i'm worried about them breaking.. A 30 rack might weigh the luggage down..

Has anyone seen those 16oz bud bottles that are made out of some sort of metal???? i think i may throw 20 of those in a bag as i dont think they'll break..

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions on getting beer on board let me know.. there's nothin like watching the sun set and drinking a nice cold beer (on your own private suite balcony)

They sell those bud bottles onboard..so they do not have too much glass....we take a cooler with soda..pepsi for the dd..bud light for hubby...cans...small bottles of wine for me...and then in the luggage..a insulated water bottle with vodka..and a few bottles of tonic in the cooler to..I forgot..you will be fine....bon Voyage.....:cool:

well it sounds like i am going to be packing my booze away with checked luggage.

I love beer and would love to bring some, i was thinking of bringing bottle necks, but i'm worried about them breaking.. A 30 rack might weigh the luggage down..

Has anyone seen those 16oz bud bottles that are made out of some sort of metal???? i think i may throw 20 of those in a bag as i dont think they'll break..

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions on getting beer on board let me know.. there's nothin like watching the sun set and drinking a nice cold beer (on your own private suite balcony)

On Carnival I have taken z couple of cases of beer on board. One case I pack once case in my checked luggage by putting the cans in zip lock baggies. The other case I carry on on a roll on cooler. I buy a 24pack cube of Pepsi remove the soda and leave it at home for the kids. I put the beer in the empty soda carton and the glue it shut. Works like a charm. I use the empty cooler to put souvenirs in for the trip home.

This will be our first Princess cruise. Do they allow you to bring a "reasonable" amount of soda on board like Carnival does?

I saw that people mentioned they brought beer in checked luggage. How much did you bring, cans or bottles?

Would be be possible to get a 30 of cans onboard??

Hubby drinks Corona which is not available on the CB so he took a case, bottles. He wrapped it in gift wrap in original packing from the liquor store and put it in a small suitcase. He made sure to ask the guy to be careful loading it onto the ship (we did not have to fly). It arrived to our cabin in one piece and I ended up having a small suitcase to pack all the stuff I bought shopping:D He buys one of those buckets of beer at the bar, brings it to the cabin and then transfers his beer into the plastic beer bottle, obviously after he has consumed the other type of beer which I asked why not just drink that beer instead of going through all that trouble (he had to drink it anyway to empty the bottle) he says if I drank beer I would understand.

To reduce the chance of breakage, I'd prefer not to pack the liquor in my luggage until after my flight into L.A.

Can anyone tell me if there is a liquor store within walking distance of the San Pedro pier so I could buy it there and then add it to my luggage before boarding the ship.

I just got off the Diamond and we packed a case of wine and a half gallon of vodka... Didnt even try to hide anything. The porters told us that they would make sure to get it to our room safetly as they knew where the party was going to be, they said that they didnt care at all! So I say bring as much as you like because you wont have a problem. We had a bunch left over because you will order a lot from the ship as well.

The one thing they will take away from you is a blender!! =) Horsewhisperer, I had the same problem having to go to security to get my luggage and had to open it for them to take my blender away from me! Ooops

Ladypalmtree- It was amazing!!! The aft terrace pool area is the best place to hang out at, absolutely beautiful. Lots of activities and never ending food. Bingo was a lot of fun as well and the weather was perfect. You cant beat sitting on your balcony with a glass of wine watching the sun set. Do you think I could fit in your suitcase? ;-) Have fun!!

Love these boards. I am new here and promise that I did look around a bit before asking this question!

Is wine sold at the duty free shop in San Juan? We are sailing on the Crown in November. I have read that there are shops nearby that we can taxi to, but if there is wine in the shop at the terminal, we will be good to go.

DizzKitty..well we already have nine pieces of checked luggage..whats one more..LOL..glad you enjoyed the cruise..We did the Sapphire last year and the Diamond the year before...and here we are again..so we really enjoyed it also..and this year we are taking some friends with us..new experience..:rolleyes:

Is wine sold at the duty free shop in San Juan?

I have read that there are shops nearby that we can taxi to, but if there is wine in the shop at the terminal, we will be good to go.

You're good to go...

We brought along a few bottles of wine with us on the Sun Princess in December. In each port, as passengers came back on the ship, there was a sign saying that liquor had to be turned over to be delivered on the last night but that passengers could bring on wine and champagne.

My DH bought a bottle of rum punch in Grenada. He showed it to the security person, who let him carry it on. I'm not sure if it was because that was toward the end of our cruise or because it was just one bottle.

I was on the Star last week and brought on 3 bottles of wine, 1 (26) of rye and 1 (26) of gin on with me on my carry-on and was not asked one question about it. I called up room service and they came and opened the wine each time I needed it opened and also dropped off 2 wine glasses and extra ice for the hard liquor.

Enjoy!!!

• 10 months later...
wine is fine (poet and don't know it :o) but if you want booze, that's a no no....but if you want to smuggle it onboard, check this out

http://lexicon.*****.com/lexicon/2005/03/how_to_smuggle_.html

We put our scotch in ice tea bottles. Carried it own with a six pack of beer. no problems. Don't forget to pack your cork screw.

The corkscrew sometimes gets taken, too. It's like a weapon. No problem. Just pack a couple of screws instead, and use your silverware to open the bottles.

http://lexicon.*****.com/lexicon/2005/08/how_to_uncork_t.html

Archived