footwear for dining room

goin'toalaska

Dear OP:

While I can appreciate your concern, I can also say this in all honesty....

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITH A DOUBT.... NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE WILL CARE WHAT ANYONE WEARS ON BOARD! PERIOD!!

(and if for some small minded, stupid reason they do.... it's totally their problem, not yours!)

Be comfortable, look nice, relax, pack light, have fun, report back.

I'm reminded of a thread a few weeks ago when a woman complained that her husband decided she took too many shoes so he emptied them out without her knowing. She wound up wearing flip flops with her formal.

No one threw her overboard.

Shoes are a sore subject with me(no pun intended) because I have so much difficulty finding ones that fit and are comfortable. I pick comfort over fashion these days and figure if I lookg appropriate from the tip of my head to the bottom of my ankles, I've done the job.

Where do they sell these ballet type shoes you are talking about?

Ballet flats are all over the place this spring. Any place that sells women's shoes has ballet flats. They range in price from $12 in the lower end department store type places to $250 for designer brands at Nordstroms and Saks. They come in every color you can imagine.

Those shoes look fine!

Hey, there are some people who wear fuzzy slippers -- even on formal night -- and no one knocks them! :p

I'm not sure what the big deal is over these shoes! I've seen men wearing shoes far more casual -- and there was nothing wrong with that.

Thanks S7S. I'll have to go out and look for them and hope I can find some to fit my wide feet. They sound great! Once upon a time, in another life, I took ballet lessons and wore them, never quite making it to toe shoes.

My DH wouldn't choose to wear that sort of footwear to the dining room. Personally, I don't feel that shoe appropriate for a formal dining room such as are on HAL ships. It isn't such a big deal to pack one other loafer/casual shoe to wear in the evenings.

JMHO......

I agree. My DH would only wear those type of shoes on excursions.

I'm reminded of a thread a few weeks ago when a woman complained that her husband decided she took too many shoes so he emptied them out without her knowing. She wound up wearing flip flops with her formal. No one threw her overboard.

That would be me. Given my shoe size (11) there is no way for me to pop into a store in port and buy off the rack. To tell you the truth, I was uncomfortable on the formal nights, but realized no one was pointing or staring at my feet.

Since HAL has relaxed its dress code for casual nights, and people are now wearing jeans in the dining room, what is the big uproar about shoes?

The shoes the OP wants to wear are certainly appropriate with casual pants.

I don't wear jeans on cruises, my choice, but I do wear casual footware on casual nights -- including various flip-flops and Crocs.

DH also wears Crocs.

So far, I haven't seen a single person faint. :eek:

:o Well ... I didn't have a CLUE what a Merril Moc was either and was much relieved to see I wasn't alone.

I'll be honest ... other than formal nights, I haven't a clue what DH puts on his feet. And I'll go a step further and admit I have never noticed what one single man wears into the dining room on ANY evening.

Seriously, I'm focused on waist up and the chances are someone could come in barefoot, but if they looked great in every other way, I wouldn't notice;) (guess I'm clearly not a foot fetish person).

So my answer would be that if you took the time to worry it wasn't right, it probably is. Anyone who is going to be out of place in the dining room won't take the time to ask or worry if his/her choice is okay.

Especially when it's a Merril Moc which sounds pretty fancy to this low-style person:D :D .

I have to agree with the majority of the posts. We've also worn Crocs on casual night (the mary janes are my favorite). When the seas were high and the Lido pool water was splashing all over as we walked by, we were grateful that we had on non-skid soles....

Ok. You've got me. What are crocs? The people sitting at the table next to me on the Noordam were always dressed very well. On casual nights, the lady wore sandals. I couldn't help but notice because she was at the next table, but usually, who looks at feet when there are so many more interesting things to watch?

Anyway, in the dining room everyone is busy ordering, drinking, eating, and people watching, from the waist up.

Ok. You've got me. What are crocs?

Crocs are very comfortable. I found mine at a Hallmark store. You have to be careful though...there are a lot of immitations out there...none of which are nearly as comfy as the real crocs.

Here's a picture of the types I have. I noticed sandal crocs in the store just the other day.

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-15-4-beach.aspx?reqid=15&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

Since HAL has relaxed its dress code for casual nights, and people are now wearing jeans in the dining room, what is the big uproar about shoes?

The shoes the OP wants to wear are certainly appropriate with casual pants.

I don't consider this discussion an "uproar". The OP was looking for opinions and got them. She obviously wondered if they would be appropriate and the majority feel they are.

I am personally disappointed that HAL now permits jeans in the dining room. I have seen what this relaxation of dress codes has caused to the evening ambiance on other lines; IMO, it's not a pretty picture:(.

We'll leave the jeans at home and continue to dress for dinner each evening, because we prefer to do so, whether on vacation or not.

I don't consider this discussion an "uproar". The OP was looking for opinions and got them. She obviously wondered if they would be appropriate and the majority feel they are.

I am personally disappointed that HAL now permits jeans in the dining room. I have seen what this relaxation of dress codes has caused to the evening ambiance on other lines; IMO, it's not a pretty picture:(.

We'll leave the jeans at home and continue to dress for dinner each evening, because we prefer to do so, whether on vacation or not.

Oh, mea culpa ...

I am guilty of an improper word choice.

Maybe "knickers in a twist" would be a better description?

Sometimes hyperbole seems the way to go.

I continue to dress for dinner each evening also, as the alternative is not a pretty sight. :eek:

I love crocs though I'm not sure about wearing them to the DR. I need more colors!

Have you seen the new college Crocs? I have my OSU ones!

And now they have a deal with Disney -- you can get Crocs with little "Mickey" holes instead of round holes. At Disney you can buy little plastic characters, logos, etc. to snap into your Crocs. I have Tinkerbell on mine.

Crocs are perfect on a cruise ship. Desdemona is right -- there is no slipping on wet surfaces.

Crocs are very comfortable. I found mine at a Hallmark store. You have to be careful though...there are a lot of immitations out there...none of which are nearly as comfy as the real crocs.

Here's a picture of the types I have. I noticed sandal crocs in the store just the other day.

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-15-4-beach.aspx?reqid=15&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

Thanks twinkletoes for posting that for mamofami! I was going to do that and got sidetracked.

We have a private pilot (female) who stays at our inn frequently, and in her off duty time, she always wears croc's. Says they're the most comfortable things she's ever worn!

My granddaughters, also, all have crocs and love them (they're 7 and under). DH has a pair that he wears on our boat. When you mentioned them, I was reminded that I was going to buy a pair for the cruise....and forgot.

How are they for walking on the decks (Lido, Promenade, etc.)?

Carol, I've looked at them in the stores and they seem nice and wide. I don't know if they are actually, when you try them on, but they appear that way. They sell them here in The Paper Store ~ a chain ~ there's probably one near you.

As someone else said, beware of the imitations!

We have a private pilot (female) who stays at our inn frequently, and in her off duty time, she always wears croc's. Says they're the most comfortable things she's ever worn!

My granddaughters, also, all have crocs and love them (they're 7 and under). DH has a pair that he wears on our boat. When you mentioned them, I was reminded that I was going to buy a pair for the cruise....and forgot.

How are they for walking on the decks (Lido, Promenade, etc.)?

Carol, I've looked at them in the stores and they seem nice and wide. I don't know if they are actually, when you try them on, but they appear that way. They sell them here in The Paper Store ~ a chain ~ there's probably one near you.

As someone else said, beware of the imitations!

They are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. I've gotten to the point that I wear them when we are traveling (even though I think they are ugly). They are easy to slip on and off (at the airport), and they are just so soft.

They are wide, but this isn't a problem. There is a piece that loops over the top, or you can pull it back and slip your foot into the Croc (this will then be behind your heel).

My daughter is a nursing student (and works in an OR) and she wears these all the time. She's on her feet for long periods of time, and she said they are the best. She also likes them because they are easy to clean.

My mom has a heel spur, and I gave her a pair of these. She was having a hard time wearing shoes, and this did the trick. She loves them.

But as you mentioned...you have to get the Crocs. The immitations aren't the same. They may look the same, but they don't feel the same.

About Crocs ... most of the styles are the ugliest shoes ever made but very comfortable. Personally I'm not nutty about the ones with straps. I have a pair of yellow ones I've never worn in my closet. They're a 9W ... anyone want them? They're the open toed ones (the Nile).

Anyone who wants them, email me. I'll send them. Right now they're collecting dust and they're like new.

But I love the Athens .. they are the best! Only trouble was they had no heel which I need. So just peeking at their website I see they now make one with some height ... going to order those immediately! Thanks for the reminder.

Have to say, though, that I would never wear them to dinner on a cruise:D

Archived