Oosterdam Trip 3/3-10/2007

purplenorway

Pre-Cruise/Embarkation

We flew into San Diego the day before the cruise, just in time to escape a snowstorm, and stayed at the Hampton Inn. It had many perks: free shuttle to the airport, zoo, and cruise terminal, free breakfast, and free internet use on the lobby’s computer. We went to the zoo and saw some amazing animals. I thought San Diego was a beautiful city and it seems that everyone jogs or walks their dog there. Saturday morning, from the top floor of the Hampton, I could see the Oosterdam docked. I then realized that another ship was coming in, it was the Ryndam, a bit late. So I hurried down to the pier to watch it. Of course since I was jogging, someone who most likely wanted directions asked, “Are you from around here?” Never had I seen a HAL ship come into port while I was not on it. It was glorious to watch.

The hotel shuttle dropped us off at the cruise terminal around 11:30 and the whole check in process took less than half an hour. We walked into a tent where we were welcomed with a squirt of hand sanitizer. They then took the customary embarkation photo and we were immediately squirted with hand sanitizer again. We didn’t even touch anything during the sixty seconds between! But if it helps prevent the Norovirus, bring it on!

Cabin

A few days before the cruise, HAL contacted us with an upgrade offer from a superior verandah suite to a deluxe verandah suite. It was a good price, so we took it. Cabin 7060 was across from the Neptune Lounge. Waiting in our room was a note from the Beverage Manager confirming the Cruise Critic meeting that I had planned. It was reassuring to know that it was all taken care of.

The cabin didn’t have many drawers, but there sure was a ton of closet space! The free laundry service was awesome! I loved having the menus delivered to our cabin each morning (and being able to keep them so I can remember how well-fed I was).

I had the sofa bed. I guess one pad would not fit the large mattress, therefore, I could feel the edges of several pieces of padding, unless I slept exactly in the center. This is really the only thing I can complain about. Our cabin steward, Rudy, was wonderful. He would greet me from halfway down the hall. He is an expert towel animal folder and gave a demonstration in the Crows Nest on the last sea day.

Cruise Critic Events

The 3 pm wave at the front of the ship was a riot. It was nice to meet fellow Cruise Critic members. We signed the banner, held it up, and waved to the web cam. People along the pier and officers on the bridge also waved to us.

Our Cruise Critic meeting was held on Sunday at 11:00 in the beautiful Oak Room. The wave banner was nicely displayed on a curtain. There were two stewards passing out alcoholic drinks, which I did not even request when planning the meeting; how nice of them to serve them to us! The gathering was kindly hosted by Beverage Manager Hans Becker and Hotel Manager Simon de Boer. Our group posed outside and Mr. Becker was nice enough to take photos with as many cameras as possible. At high tea, a head waiter asked me, “How was your meeting?” I thought, “How does he know?!” They really went above and beyond what I had expected and made the event a success.

Cruise Critics were invited to a VIP cocktail reception in the Oak Room. They opened up the doors to the deck area outside in order to make more room. Many staff members attended and we were joined by Holland America Line’s Master Chef Rudi Sodamin (amazing food, Rudi!).

CC members were also given a “private behind the scenes tour” of the galley on Thursday with Assistant Culinary Manager Norbert.

I enjoyed meeting and running into Cruise Critic members throughout the cruise. HAL really took excellent care of us and made us feel special.

Dining

With leisure dining, we were allowed to show up anytime between 8 and 9. Most people seemed to arrive during the first half hour. It really wasn’t that different from traditional dining. Every night, two staff members would be at the doors, squirting hand sanitizer for each guest. No matter what time we came, our whole table would wait until all were present before ordering. Our waiters Gusti and Anto were great!

I really loved the parmesan crusted chicken and the turkey. Every soup I ordered was delicious and served at the perfect temperature. I was happy to see that the chocolate mousse was back in its chocolate basket (It was a sugar basket on the Westerdam). Presentation was beautiful.

The yum-yum man did not have his usual mints. Instead they were individually wrapped pink and white striped, cinnamon flavored mints. Only on the last night did I finally give in and try one. Whenever someone would ask where the traditional mints were, the yum-yum man would cover his face with his hat. According to Maitre d’ Sanjay, the mints could not be shipped in time for the sailing, so it is not a permanent thing.

At the Lido on the first sea day, we barely had to lift a finger. All three of us had our trays carried to a table. Even when I began take the cover off of my pancakes, a steward finished that for me. I loved the waffles with berry sauce, the Swiss-Style Muesli, the stir-fry at the Wok, and create-your-own-sandwich deli station.

Teatime was great. That marble pound cake is still so good. I also like the chocolate chip cheesecake squares and once asked if I could have another. Instead of one, a server returned with three pieces on a plate for me.

At the Pinnacle Grill we were known as “The Magic Trio”. I was “Princess”, Mom was “Queenie”, and Dad was “Your Majesty”. The Pinnacle staff was very personable. We enjoyed eating a few breakfasts and a lunch there.

Ports

In Cabo San Lucas we were the first ones to tender ashore, thanks to the suite passengers golden card, no tender ticket was required. We took the Coastal Cruise with Whale Watching excursion and saw humpbacks, dolphins, and sharks. I have decided that whales are the most difficult subject to photograph. We also got close to the famous arch and rock formations with barking sea lions that you could smell; they really stunk!

We took the Deluxe City Tour with Papantla Flyers in Mazatlan. The excursion stopped for shopping, a cathedral, a cliff diver, and the Papantla Flyers show.

In Puerto Vallarta, our Neptune Lounge concierge recommended that we visit Nikki Beach. A taxi dropped us off, and once we found the lobby of the Westin Resort, we purchased a day pass that included use of the pools, beach, and spa. The ocean was cold, but looked like a good spot for snorkeling since there were fish and crabs on the rocks. Once we went in a pool, however, it felt like bathwater. I think there were about five separate pools, each with islands and giant palm trees, even some lounge beds in the water. I went pool-hopping.

I think we arrived in port early every time. Who would know that we sailed with only one pod instead of two?

Miscellaneous

We only expected to see ocean on the sea day Thursday, but got another look at the famous arch in Cabo San Lucas since there was a medical emergency on board and a guest was taken off the ship there. It seemed to be handled very efficiently.

For the first time on the ship, they had an Indonesian tea. There were different choices of tea, coffee, and snacks. The servers wore beautiful batik shirts. Also new on the ship, they tried out a Lido pool party. It was late setting up, but included a buffet and nine fountains of different types of chocolate. Pretty flowers decorated the pool and the pillars were wrapped in something that held fruit kabobs.

For formal night, I turned a HAL document holder into a clutch by adding a sparkly pin to it. No one noticed what it really was, unless I told them. Would you believe that my camera fit inside?

The Oosterdam cast was performing together for the last time before their vacations; their energy was incredible. There was also a comedian, magic act, and a comedian who sang while playing his ukulele.

I anticipated receiving my 100 day medallion on this cruise, but my invitation to the Mariners’ reception did not reflect this. I checked with a Neptune concierge who found that the computer only had me at eighty some days and my parents at ninety when they had already received their medallions on a previous cruise. Anyway, it got straightened out and I was presented with my copper medallion. After the reception, I seemed to become a celebrity. So many people recognized me and asked the same question, “How old were you on your first cruise?” I might as well tell you all the answer now, “My Mom made a deal with me that I couldn’t take my bottle along.” I am on an early start to the platinum medallion.

I was invited to a question and answer session with Hotel Manager Simon de Boer. About eleven guests sat around the conference table in his office and were free to make comments about the cruise while he took notes. It’s neat that guests can be involved in something like that.

I like the new mariner tiles that we were given. They picture the Statendam, although we were on the Oosterdam, but one looks great attached to my wall with sticky squares along with the other tiles in my collection.

The sea days were quite cool. I would suggest that you bring some warm clothing. The seas were a bit rougher on the way back to San Diego, but overall it was a very smooth voyage.

Conclusion

I was treated like royalty on the Oosterdam! To all the staff (I know that many read this board) thank you for making the trip so special!

A first class review! Thank you Purple Norway! Your CC group really did get the "red carpet" treatment:) I'm also enjoying the photos of your cruise that are linked to your signature. You look gorgeous on formal night, complete with your HAL document folder/evening clutch!:) :D

You are a lucky young lady!

Karin

purple,

Thanks for the great review. We had the same wonderful experience.

Oh, and the Yum Yum mints... we were on board 2/17-2/23 and they didn't have the usual mints then either--just the red+white striped mints in plastic also. (So it doesn't sound like that was an isolated situation your week.)

Thank you for taking the time to share your well written perspective and lovely pix ( love, love, love the flamingos) with us. You have an artist's eye.

Acknowledgement of your days at sea, demonstrates to those who prefer HAL not encourage family cruising, that this is nothing new.

Thanks for the great review!! We sail on her in about 50 days (first time on HAL) and I have a question;

Who (or what) is the Yum-Yum Man? I've seen that term before but can't figure it out

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the great review!! We sail on her in about 50 days (first time on HAL) and I have a question;

Who (or what) is the Yum-Yum Man? I've seen that term before but can't figure it out

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave:

You will find the Yum Yum man in the foyer of the main dining room after dinner. He dispenses mints, dried fruit, and crystallized ginger. He also plays the "call to dinner" chimes prior to each seating. You will recognize him by his 1930s-style pillbox hat and red jacket with big bold buttons. He is a Holland America insititution.:)

Karin

Hi Dave:

You will find the Yum Yum man in the foyer of the main dining room after dinner. He dispenses mints, dried fruit, and crystallized ginger. He also plays the "call to dinner" chimes prior to each seating. You will recognize him by his 1930s-style pillbox hat and red jacket with big bold buttons. He is a Holland America insititution.:)

Karin

Thanks Karin! I've seen photo's of this person in the jacket and hat but didn't know who it was - very cool.

Thanks,

Dave

The pictures were terrific and your review was really comprehensive! I am considering doing the CC gathering as well.. I started a thread about our cruise and only a couple of CC'ers seem to be going (3 other groups). It would be small, but it would be nice! How do you go about letting HAL know and scheduling the gathering?:)

The pictures were terrific and your review was really comprehensive! I am considering doing the CC gathering as well.. I started a thread about our cruise and only a couple of CC'ers seem to be going (3 other groups). It would be small, but it would be nice! How do you go about letting HAL know and scheduling the gathering?:)

Hi Kaity. Email me at x5mama @ yahoo.com and I'll give you the contact info I used to set up the 3/31 Meet & Greet. :) We're a small group on that sailing also.

Kaity, I'm sure you will have a great CC meeting. Oosterdam really did a nice job. You still have a few weeks to go, so more people will probably join your roll call yet. Just keep your coordinator updated on the number of guests you expect to attend.

The future of HAL, I like that, Thanks PD.

Karin: Thank you for sharing your review of the "O" and the beautiful pictures.....We'll be on her on April 14th.

I love what you did to your doc case.....It's exactly what my fellow worker told me to do! Your dress was gorgeous!

I'm so looking forward to this cruise....and the "yum, yum man!"

I love tradition and all that goes with it!!!!:p

Archived