Driving in Maui

canadian9981

My family and I are planning to attend a luau at Kaanapali Beach in Maui. We will be driving back to the ship which is docked at Kahului. I want to know what that stretch of highway is like as I have never been to Maui before and I heard that there are no lights on the highway. From the looks of it, the highway runs along the cost and that makes me a bit worried if I have to drive in the dark. Can someone please let me known:

(1) Is the highway narrow and winding?

(2) Does it run along the coast?

(3) If so, dos the coast side drop down to a cliff and does it have railings?

In short, I want to know if it is safe for someone, who has not been to Maui before, to drive back to Kahului at night.

Thank you so much!

In short, I want to know if it is safe for someone, who has not been to Maui before, to drive back to Kahului at night.

Thank you so much!

Narrow...in that it's pretty much a two lane road...fairly wide lanes. A little winding in a couple of places... not scary winding, but you have to pay attention. It does go along the coast at varying altitudes, and I'm not sure about guard rails. I did it during the daylight hours, but it didn't strike me as a particularly dangerous road. Perhaps someone more local can give you a better (more travelled) perspective.

I've only done it twice - both during daylight hours. It's narrow - in that there are two lanes...normal sized lanes. It's a little bendy in a couple of spots, and varies in altitude as it goes along the coast. That said... it's a very well travelled road, and if you're coming directly back after a luau, my bet is that you won't be alone on that road back to the ship. :) Just go with the flow and enjoy your trip!

My family and I are planning to attend a luau at Kaanapali Beach in Maui. We will be driving back to the ship which is docked at Kahului. I want to know what that stretch of highway is like as I have never been to Maui before and I heard that there are no lights on the highway. From the looks of it, the highway runs along the cost and that makes me a bit worried if I have to drive in the dark. Can someone please let me known:

Thank you so much!

I've driven it at night and during the day. Always lots of traffic, but although it's a winding road in spots, and along the coast for some of it, it's not a problem. You'll be fine, but as in most Hawaiian roads, there's not alot of places to pass.

I've only done it twice - both during daylight hours. It's narrow - in that there are two lanes...normal sized lanes. It's a little bendy in a couple of spots, and varies in altitude as it goes along the coast. That said... it's a very well travelled road, and if you're coming directly back after a luau, my bet is that you won't be alone on that road back to the ship. :) Just go with the flow and enjoy your trip!

Some drivers lose their concentration on this road (locally this is called the "pali highway") and venture into an oncoming lane. Do not do this! Take it slow particularly when you get into curves.

My advice is to drive defensively at all times in the Islands. You never know when someone else is going to encroach or cut you off, accidentally or on purpose, so stay alert.

Also, plan out your route and watch lane changes. Many visitors get stuck in the wrong lane for a needed turnoff.

Speaking of turnoffs, a lot of people stop suddenly on this highway, trying to turn off to view the whales out to sea. Too easy to have a rear-end collision, so watch for those sudden stops, too.

As thunderfox sez, take it easy, be careful and enjoy the drive.

Some drivers lose their concentration on this road (locally this is called the "pali highway") and venture into an oncoming lane. Do not do this! Take it slow particularly when you get into curves.

My advice is to drive defensively at all times in the Islands. You never know when someone else is going to encroach or cut you off, accidentally or on purpose, so stay alert.

Also, plan out your route and watch lane changes. Many visitors get stuck in the wrong lane for a needed turnoff.

Speaking of turnoffs, a lot of people stop suddenly on this highway, trying to turn off to view the whales out to sea. Too easy to have a rear-end collision, so watch for those sudden stops, too.

As thunderfox sez, take it easy, be careful and enjoy the drive.

The Pali Highway is on Oahu, I think. Thunderfox: are you referring to the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau on Oahu? The Kaanapali luau is on Maui. The easiest road to get back and forth from Kaanapali will have you going across Maui on Highway 30 most of the way. It is not bad at all, especially after the work day is over. It does not run by the sea at all, as I recall. If you drive along the coasts in Maui it had better be by daylight! Those are some SERIOUSLY twisty roads by the coast!! Highway 30 is a piece of cake in comparison!!!

We call the stretch between Maalaea to Lahaina the pali and it is coastal driving, it taksabout 45 minutes to get there. There are no guard rails or no lights but you will be fine. My husband and I drive it 5 days a week from Kihei. Just take it slow and watch for the winding road signs. Aloha-

Archived