TA fouled up, I'm in an Inside, booked OV

jcrandle

Sail, Can the shares be purchased at anytime prior to the cruise or do they have to be purchased prior to final payment so that the TA can set it up?

I assume it's $50 whether or not you have 100 shares or 1,000, correct?

Is this the same deal ($50.00) for Hal, Carnival or Princess?

Lastly, what are these traded under, and how much are they for today?

Thanks.

The $50 is for shorter cruises. You get $100 for 7 days, and more for even longer cruises. Check the Carnival Corporate site (not the cruise line site- just google it) and go to investor relations and download their 2006 Annual Report. In the first few pages they describe the whole program, and I'm sure you might find the info elsewhere on the site itself. I also seem to remember it applies to all of their owned lines.

What is the stockholder credit on Carnival? How much stock do you have to purchase?

Here's a fairly recent thread that talks about the stock and the onboard credit you get for sailing. There's a link in one of the posts that takes you to the investor information page with exact details about it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=479793&highlight=carnival+stock

But don't buy stock just for the onboard credits you may get.

Cruise has now opened....Seems to be plenty of cabins but I do believe they are all guarentee's?
Assuming that you are referring to the April 19 sailing, there are indeed inside cabins available, but the sources I checked (HAL and an online agency) show only one cabin with a window available for booking, specifically the Penthouse Suite. I did notice that the April 1 Transatlantic which had all categories closed for the last week, has reopened MOST of the categories. I'm assuming that HAL froze new bookings so that they could assign the guarantees. Hopefully, that is the reason for closing the 4/19 sailing, and after those guarantees are assigned, there will be a G or better opened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and my lips sealed. DW doesn't know about this foulup yet, as her mother passed away mid-Februrary, and she is completely stressed out from handling all of the issues that that created. I'm not going to add to her stress level by raising this problem until it is hopefully solved.

Assuming that you are referring to the April 19 sailing, there are indeed inside cabins available, but the sources I checked (HAL and an online agency) show only one cabin with a window available for booking, specifically the Penthouse Suite. I did notice that the April 1 Transatlantic which had all categories closed for the last week, has reopened MOST of the categories. I'm assuming that HAL froze new bookings so that they could assign the guarantees. Hopefully, that is the reason for closing the 4/19 sailing, and after those guarantees are assigned, there will be a G or better opened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and my lips sealed. DW doesn't know about this foulup yet, as her mother passed away mid-Februrary, and she is completely stressed out from handling all of the issues that that created. I'm not going to add to her stress level by raising this problem until it is hopefully solved.

Sorry...I was looking at the 4/1 that had been closed for a couple of weeks.

Yes, I have the original booking copy, as well as the TA's confirmation. Both show the cabin and category that I booked. There is no question in either case what was requested and what was booked. The issue is that there are no OV categories available on the cruise, and I don't know if any are likely to open.

Sounds to me like they'll just have to upgrade you to the penthouse! :)

Seriously, negotiate with HAL ... or have your TA do it for you. If this is their mistake, then it is upon their shoulders to make it right. If there are no open cabins in the category you booked, then they will just have to upgrade you to something higher. People always cancel at the last minute due to emergencies and whatnot. Surely something will come available, and you should be the first people HAL assigns to it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

DW doesn't know about this foulup yet, as her mother passed away mid-Februrary, and she is completely stressed out from handling all of the issues that that created. I'm not going to add to her stress level by raising this problem until it is hopefully solved.

What a nice husband you are to be taking care of all these details - my John would so totally not have a clue. Sounds like the 2 of you really need this trip. Hope it all works out for you. :)

Any idea when the TA expects to get back to you? I realize that since you are "represented" by a TA, HAL won't talk to you.

Jim, you did post that the CONFIRMATION NUMBER changed, unless I misunderstood.

November 17, I received an updated booking confirmation that had a lower stateroom price (by a little over $100) but the Cabin number and category remained the same. The comment on the confirmation was "Price lowered, Confirm # changed".

Any time a confirmation number changes without your consent that is a huge red flag. Again, I am NOT putting blame on you at all, but even you said you were suspicious at that point but let it go. I'm just saying that it's a good idea for ALL cruisers to follow up if they have ANY sort of feeling that there is something wrong with their booking. Just a lesson to be learned for us all.

I'm still hoping that it works out for you. :)

OP says the confirmation had the right cabin number and stated a reason for the new confirmation; lowered price. Since the cabin number was correct , it would be reasonable to expect that cabin.

There has to be something missing. Was this a "guest copy" of the HAL confirmation or a TA form?

I had a booking number changed without my consent. It fortunately didn't change my cabin. It was simply for agency convenience. We are no longer booking with that agency.

Any idea when the TA expects to get back to you? I realize that since you are "represented" by a TA, HAL won't talk to you.

When we chose to use a TA, minimally for better pricing, the TA becomes OUR agent. The cruise line pays the T/A to relieve them of some of the customer service function. When things go wrong, having a middleman can help or hinder. And when the TA goes wrong, the pax is at the mercy of everyone involved.

What a nice husband you are to be taking care of all these details - my John would so totally not have a clue. Sounds like the 2 of you really need this trip. Hope it all works out for you. :)

Thanks for the kind words. The TA didn't give me any specific timeframe, since we are now both at the mercy of HAL. All categories on the cruise are now closed, except for the PS. I assume that HAL is assigning guarantee staterooms, and am hopeful that when that is completed, they may open an OV. We leave on the transatlantic in about two weeks, so I think I might hear something by then.

Jim, you did post that the CONFIRMATION NUMBER changed, unless I misunderstood.

Any time a confirmation number changes without your consent that is a huge red flag. Again, I am NOT putting blame on you at all, but even you said you were suspicious at that point but let it go. I'm just saying that it's a good idea for ALL cruisers to follow up if they have ANY sort of feeling that there is something wrong with their booking. Just a lesson to be learned for us all.

I'm still hoping that it works out for you. :)

Yes, the confirmation number did change, but the confirmation form that was emailed from the TA still showed the original category and cabin number. I foolishly assumed that the TA had to rebook to take advantage of a price decrease.

OP says the confirmation had the right cabin number and stated a reason for the new confirmation; lowered price. Since the cabin number was correct , it would be reasonable to expect that cabin.

There has to be something missing. Was this a "guest copy" of the HAL confirmation or a TA form?

I had a booking number changed without my consent. It fortunately didn't change my cabin. It was simply for agency convenience. We are no longer booking with that agency.

It was a TA form, that the TA emails to customers. I've never seen a "guest copy", so I'm not sure I would know how to recognize it. As I've said, I've booked the past 15 or so cruises with this TA, and the confirmations all are similar.

Just had a crazy thought - since HAL is likely in the throes of assigning the guarantees as we speak....er, tap away at the keyboards...what about checking for your cabin number via the on-line immigration form? Perhaps HAL has already re-assigned you to your OV & just hasn't had a chance to communicate the good news to your TA?

Another crazy thought - if I'm reading your posts correctly, you actually only paid for the MM-guar, right? So if you ARE re-assigned to the OV category you originally booked, HAL's gonna want some more $$? And since the error wasn't HAL's, they won't care that you were wronged - they will rightly want to be paid for whatever cabin you are sailing in.

My personal opinion is that if there is a price difference, the TA should pay it. Their error, their correction.

Just had a crazy thought - since HAL is likely in the throes of assigning the guarantees as we speak....er, tap away at the keyboards...what about checking for your cabin number via the on-line immigration form? Perhaps HAL has already re-assigned you to your OV & just hasn't had a chance to communicate the good news to your TA?

Another crazy thought - if I'm reading your posts correctly, you actually only paid for the MM-guar, right? So if you ARE re-assigned to the OV category you originally booked, HAL's gonna want some more $$? And since the error wasn't HAL's, they won't care that you were wronged - they will rightly want to be paid for whatever cabin you are sailing in.

My personal opinion is that if there is a price difference, the TA should pay it. Their error, their correction.

I've been checking my immigration form 3 times a day, still shows guarantee. As for the TA's responsibility, the TA has acknowledged that it is their mistake, and has agreed to put me in a G or better at no additional cost. The problem is that the OV categories are currently closed.

Sounds like you're as "on top of it" as you can be. If you're checking 3x daily, you'll probably know before your TA has a chance to e-mail you! :)

Good to know that they've agreed to pay any difference.

Hope you find out soon.

Well, I just checked the immigration form for my booking, and the good news is that HAL has assigned me a cabin. The bad news is that is an inside on the Lower Promenade. All categories other than PS are still showing closed, so I suspect they will go through and assign all of the guarantees and waitlists before they re-open any categories. I still have my fingers crossed, and it does appear that I'm closer to a resolution. Maybe today or tomorrow, I'll have something good to report.

Yesterday, I saw that HAL had re-opened OV categories DD and Eon the Veendam. I immediately emailed the TA and informed them of this, and that I expected my waitlist to be satisfied. They responded this morning that they had blocked a DD guarantee, and if nothing opened up in G, they would book the DD for the original price they quoted in their first confirmation.

The problem was that the price they put in the email was $360 more than the first confirmation I had received back in August, 2006. I quickly responded that the original quote had been less, and also forwarded back the original deposit confirmation, showing their original price. I just received a response that I was correct, that they had failed to include their original discount in the latest email, and they would honor the original price quote.

Needless to say, my confidence in this agency is completely destroyed at this time. I will watch everything like a hawk until we are onboard the ship.

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't still out to get you."

Jim,

I really feel bad for you. Although Hal won't talk to you directly re the actual booking, you should def call the ship coordinator to follow-up on anything you can such as confirmation on your dinner request, Pinnacle, drink card etc. and of course the excursion department if you are booking any excursions directly through Hal. Yes, I know the excursions can be done on-line, but obviously because of your situation you need to check everthing, even including the boarding time.

I've checked on-line with on-line TA's and Hal for future bookings and you wouldn't believe the number that have port times that are not correct because they are diff than Hal's web site (may have been at one time but changed). That could be a mess if you have private drivers planning on picking you up etc.

I guess what I've learned from this is that I'm the type that just prefers to pick my own cabin. We know you'll pick a diff TA next time. Note that there are reputable consolidators out there. I found that when I had names and e-mailed directly to Hal, one Rep responded such as "haven't heard of that one" vs. "They are one of our biggest clients". So, on-line TA's aren't all bad, but you def need to e-mail folks at CC (I did) and get lots of feedback.

So sorry this happened. I sure hope the TA gets this handled for you. At least they are trying and they are responding to you. Although they screwed up a couple of times it could be worse. They could sit on your emails for a couple of days before responding and the cabins could all be gone. I know it is frustrating, but keep on top of it.

OH, I'm glad you at least have a hold on the GTY room, and you will get your original price honored. It sounds like things are moving in the right direction for you...and good idea to keep watching like a hawk. :)

Thanks again to those who have posted their best wishes that this is resolved favorably. I owe you an update, though I don't have good news, just more frustration.

Thursday I received an Email from the manager who is handling the booking error. He said that he was able to get an option on a FF guarantee, and if they could not book a G before the option expired, he would book us into the FF, and waitlist for a G. The option was valid thru Sunday. I emailed him this morning for a status update, and he responded that he had had a death in the family, another death of a close friend, and allowed the option to expire.

He said that he would waitlist us for any ocean view category, and would book us in the first available, while waitlisting us for G.

I responded that since he had allowed the FF to get away, I wanted to be waitlisted for ALL categories G and above, including Veranda and Suites. His response was that he would waitlist us for OV and Veranda, with the option to move us to a lower category if one became available. I do not believe that his omission of suite categories was accidental.

I am angry and discouraged with this TA, however, I don't see that I have any additional leverage in this. If the TA has half a brain, he likely realizes that I will never do any more business with him, so I don't believe anything will be gained by any threats I can make. All I can do is hope that something will become available, and the TA doesn't foul this one up again!

I feel like I'm auditioning for a major part in "A Series of Unfortunate Events."

• 3 months later...
Thanks again to those who have posted their best wishes that this is resolved favorably. I owe you an update, though I don't have good news, just more frustration.

Thursday I received an Email from the manager who is handling the booking error. He said that he was able to get an option on a FF guarantee, and if they could not book a G before the option expired, he would book us into the FF, and waitlist for a G. The option was valid thru Sunday. I emailed him this morning for a status update, and he responded that he had had a death in the family, another death of a close friend, and allowed the option to expire.

He said that he would waitlist us for any ocean view category, and would book us in the first available, while waitlisting us for G.

I responded that since he had allowed the FF to get away, I wanted to be waitlisted for ALL categories G and above, including Veranda and Suites. His response was that he would waitlist us for OV and Veranda, with the option to move us to a lower category if one became available. I do not believe that his omission of suite categories was accidental.

I am angry and discouraged with this TA, however, I don't see that I have any additional leverage in this. If the TA has half a brain, he likely realizes that I will never do any more business with him, so I don't believe anything will be gained by any threats I can make. All I can do is hope that something will become available, and the TA doesn't foul this one up again!

I feel like I'm auditioning for a major part in "A Series of Unfortunate Events."

Jim,

Was this ever resolved?

Archived