DELTA to ROME

james j feller

Has anyone flown DELTA to ROME, i never flew DELTA before i assume they are all alike right?

JIM

Delta isn't bad. None of the airlines are wonderful anymore. They are partners with Air France..and we like using that availability. Delta seems to be trying harder..of course..a lot depends on the individual crew members that you get.

The only advantage to flying Delta over other airlines is that there is rarely a language barrier. The coach seats are cramped (just like in the US) and the food is bad. But unless you go business or first class, I think you will find everyone is about the same.

I totally agree with what jonnycruise just posted. If you do upgrade to Delta business class, you also have access to the Delta Crown Rooms on the day of your flights. If your outbound international journey takes you through Atlanta, be sure to go to the Delta International Business Elite Crown room (just around the corner of the Domestic Crown Room) for a much nicer layover experience.

If you are flying out of New York to Rome on Delta you are really "going" to Barcelona. rofl.gif

This is not unique to Delta, I learned this talking to a computer geek working at Delta in Atlanta. The FAA requires flights to have 45 minutes spare fuel onboard when planes land in case of problems. So Delta (and others) compute the fuel needed based on the prediction of winds aloof. But to be safe, they file a flight plan NYC -> Barcelona. In mid flight if they did the math and winds were right, they re-file to Rome. The three cities (NYC, Rome and Barcelona) were the example my computer friend used.

Jim,

Delta has a very good overseas business class. If you can upgrade, your trip will be 5x as nice!

johnny

I totally agree with that. You flight might even be enjoyable. With coach, it (and all others) is miserable.

I totally agree with that. You flight might even be enjoyable. With coach, it (and all others) is miserable.

As my husband like to point out....he doesn't know what the back of a plane looks like! We used to pay FC...now we make every purchase possible on credit cards so that we can upgrade. We also have Am Ex Plat....therefore, we can go two for one in many cases. As of a recent letter..that soon will be available for domestic travel as well...of course they have upped the card rates significantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the JFK flight to Rome last summer and it was great. We had Business Class seats and both food and service was great. Smooth checking in experience both ways, and the Delta Crown room at JFK was a great place to unwind!!

Watch out for tight connections. We flew DL to Rome in September with a 40 minute connection in JFK. This was really too tight. Passengers made it but lots of luggage did not. In trying to get this changed (it was booked through the cruise line), we were told by Delta that this was a legal connection and they would not change us to an alternate flight. Also, for wine drinkers, Delta will comp you one drink with dinner...all others must be purchased. Most of the international carriers still provide wine throughout the flight. Given the choice of Lufthansa, for example, or Delta, I'd have to choose Lufthansa.

You don't indicate if you're flying out of ATL or JFK; DL has a nonstop from both cities. DL also has a codeshare which is actually Alitalia. You also do not indicate if you are flying coach or business class or whether you have a choice of airlines. DL's coach is nothing to write home about, but is on par with most other airlines. It's business class, called Business Elite, is adequate but lacks the newer business class seats that many other airlines now use. IMHO, DL is superior in both classes to Alitalia.

Archived