Amsterdam/Trier/Basel....Itenerary..??

AWED23

Steamboats and others here at "CC"....Have done "Tulip Time"....Doing Amsterdam/Budapest this June/July....What can you advise me of an itenerary from Amsterdam to Basel with a short cruise up the Mosel to Trier???? Do you have any knowledge as to why this is not a more popular itenerary???Thank you for your wisdom!......:D

I did the GCT trip last summer from Antwerp to Basel with side trip on the Mosel down to Trier. It was a great trip. The scenery along the Mosel was beautiful. Loved the town of Bernkastel, great shopping there. Trier had lot's to offer, Roman baths, Porta Nigra, shopping. The stretch along the Rhine where there is a castle on every hill is so scenic. Seen it before, but always good to see again. The visit to Strasburg, France and the surrounding countryside was nice including the stork farm. You are right, not much said about this trip, but it's really one of the nicest I've seen so far.

Carole

We did that itinerary on Grand Circle back in 2004 and I posted a lengthy review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=91404 that you might find informative.

I doubt that much has changed in the last 2 1/2 years! We have also done the Vienna to Amsterdam itinerary and of the two thought that the Mosel was nicer.

Clarence:)

Great pics, Carole! They brought back wonderful memories for me. I especially liked the ones of the vineyards along the Mosel and the children sitting on the steps eating ice cream.

Our next river cruise will be from Budapest to the Black Sea and then on to Istanbul on the Amadeus Amalegro this October.

Clarence:)

Yes, I love those little kids eating their ice cream. Their mom was sitting near by at a table watching them.

Clarence, I'm going to get my pics from the 2005 trip, Budapest to the Black Sea. I'll post it when I get them ready. Now that I know I can do it, I'll share more pictures. I take a lot when I go, but only put a few out for viewing. Don't want to bore everyone with hundreds of pictures.

Carole

AWED23,

I don´t have the slightest idea why this itinerary isn´t more popular. I asume that Amsterdam-Budapest/Prague-Budapest is the more "classic" route especially for first timers. Depending on your itinerary on Amsterdam-Budapest you might also go up the Middle Rhine Valley to Ruedesheim. So you might have done most of the Amsterdam/Antwerp-Basel trip already. I think Amadeus and Avalon are also offering a Paris-Budapest cruise where the cruise actually starts at Trier and includes the Mosel river too. If you´re looking for alternate routes consider the Elbe river or the Oder river (I think the Oder river is only offered by Deilmann) and maybe the "rest" of the Danube river down to the Black Sea.

As Carol and Clarence stated this is a great cruise and there´s no "hook" anywhere. Go for it unless you don´t fear to "repeat" most parts.

steamboats

Thanks to all of the positive feed back on this itenerary the decision was quite simple. The family will be treated to this itenerary next July by me using a portion of their inheritence....The photos were great!....Rob.

AWED23,

I don´t have the slightest idea why this itinerary isn´t more popular. I asume that Amsterdam-Budapest/Prague-Budapest is the more "classic" route especially for first timers. Depending on your itinerary on Amsterdam-Budapest you might also go up the Middle Rhine Valley to Ruedesheim. So you might have done most of the Amsterdam/Antwerp-Basel trip already. I think Amadeus and Avalon are also offering a Paris-Budapest cruise where the cruise actually starts at Trier and includes the Mosel river too. If you´re looking for alternate routes consider the Elbe river or the Oder river (I think the Oder river is only offered by Deilmann) and maybe the "rest" of the Danube river down to the Black Sea.

As Carol and Clarence stated this is a great cruise and there´s no "hook" anywhere. Go for it unless you don´t fear to "repeat" most parts.

steamboats

Steamboats, there are no repeats for me any more. I am 75 and no longer need to worry about reruns, repeats or do-overs....Thank you for your kind advice...I think I am going ahead and taking the family on the Avalon for this itenerary and wind it up with a few days in Lucerne at the Palace. One of my favorite things to do....I think.....Maybe...Sorta..Rob.:confused:

One of the most beautiful things I have seen in my travels is the Lion Monument in Lucerne. The expression on the Lions face will tear your heart out. Maybe because I am such an animal lover.It is so beautiful.
Hard to believe Mark Twain thought it was "Trite"....I'm with you...Lucerne offers great walking about and looking....And the excursion to the top of Piraetus is awesome.....Rob.:rolleyes:

Archived