Too Young for Tubing?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello as I am new to the RCCL board. Never been on RCCL before (NCL and Carnival), so am looking forward to our Mariner trip this September.

I have a question for those that have done the tubing in Ocho Rios (especially with kids). My daughter (will be four at the time of cruise) saw tubing on a Travel Channel cruise special and has her heart SET on doing that excursion. She tells everybody she is doing "tubies in Ocho Wios". :)

Anyway, my DD is a very adventerous kid, not easily scared. I'm inclined to let her do this (DH and I will be there too) if we bring her little life jacket. Does anybody have any opinions. I have never been, so don't know what to expect.

Don't want to break her heart, but if it's super-dangerous, don't want her to drown either.

Thanks and have a great day!

Bobol

Have you checked the RCI excursion web-site? They give guidelines on ages, abilities, weight restrictions, etc... If you're planning on going through someone other than the cruiseline, they should be able to help you! Does she swim? Does she mind getting her face wet? Will one of you be able to be with her? These are the types of thoughts I'd be having!

Did the tubing on the White River in Sept. 06 and there was a little one in our group - about 7. He did fine. Each person is in their own tube -- and the tube has a bottom to it -- so you can't fall thru. The water is pretty calm -- very few "rapids" area. However --it is hard to stay together with a specific person. The person that I was traveling with -- we had to meet up again at the end!

They do have several young men running down the river to keep the tubes off the edges -- trees, rocks,etc. and they do a fabulous job! I would think that a little tip before starting would ensure that they keep a close eye on your little one and make sure that she is well taken care of.

Ps - I didn't book thru the cruise line -- booked thru Phil Lafayatte and he was FABULOUS!

Have you checked the RCI excursion web-site? Does she swim? Does she mind getting her face wet? Will one of you be able to be with her?

Thanks for responding CB. :)

Yes, she is quite a water-baby -- loves it. Doesn't mind getting soaked or going under.

And my DH and I both swim and can assist her.

I didn't see any age restrictions when I looked on RCCLs site, but will look again. I'd love for her to be able to go, but want her to be safe.

Thanks again!

Bobol

Did the tubing on the White River in Sept. 06 and there was a little one in our group - about 7. He did fine. Each person is in their own tube -- and the tube has a bottom to it -- so you can't fall thru. The water is pretty calm -- very few "rapids" area. However --it is hard to stay together with a specific person. The person that I was traveling with -- we had to meet up again at the end!

Thank you for the information TakeaVacation. :) I think my DD will have a BLAST doing this. We TiVo'd the cruise special and she watches so intently when they show the tubing. She gets so excited.

Thanks again,

Bobol

As a previous poster stated, don't count on staying near her while you all are in your tubes. It's quite difficult to steer yourself with much accuracy. You just kind of float along at the whim of the current, which can and probably will separate you. But the guides do a good job of keeping everyone "in line".

I did the tubing in Ocho Rios. You get a paddle to be used to push yourself away from the shore. You don't use it to move. You just go with the flow. Here is a photo (that's my knee in the lower left) ...

RiverRaft-OchoRios.jpg

That was one of the rougher sections. Actually the river moves fairly slowly. Though I enjoyed the trip, I would have liked a little more speed.

Another thing you need to take into consideration is she big enough for the tube. I am 5'2" and I was swamped by mine. On one tubing tour we had no bottom on it. The other one had a wooden base below the opening of the tube that you could sit on. You need to find out what kind the tour in ocho uses.

I'm back. And I have some good news *maybe* for your daughter.

On the cruise I am going on (Freedom with stop at Mo Bay), the tubing options are minimum age 6 and 12...pending on which river. So my fam is out cause my youngest is 3.

BUT, on the Ocho Rios excursion list, there is one tubing trip on the White river...it does not have any age restriction. There is another one that says min age 6.

So look for the one with no restriction. It says a "calm relaxing ride on the White River"

Have fun! :D

Our daughters who were eight at the time were not allowed to do the excursion, so had to stay on the ship:( I would call the people who handle the trip personally, because they are going to be the ones who decide. No bottoms in alot of the tubes, they are large, and it depends on how fast the water is running that time of year. Good Luck!!:)

They do have several young men running down the river to keep the tubes off the edges -- trees, rocks,etc. and they do a fabulous job! I would think that a little tip before starting would ensure that they keep a close eye on your little one and make sure that she is well taken care of.

Ps - I didn't book thru the cruise line -- booked thru Phil Lafayatte and he was FABULOUS!

I agree! Phil was Phantastic. With the tubing, we did the same excursion. I would suggest when it comes time to take the jump off the cliff to the river, to make sure you tuck your arms to your side. DH dislocated/tore rotator cuff on this. He's had surgery and PT.

It was wonderful though. Your little one should be ok, but do check the excursion guidelines. You know your little one's ability.

Have a great cruise.

D :)

You need to do more research and not just be asking about age restriction.

Thank you for your response. :)

To clarify...I wasn't "just" asking about age restrictions. I was asking for opinions from folks who had done this excursion, especially with kids, as I have never done it and wanted to know what to expect. I consider that to be the beginning of my "research" into the matter.

Rest assured, if the excursion is not age-appropriate for my child, she won't be going.

BOBOLGROBOL = Anyway, my DD is a very adventerous kid, not easily scared. I'm inclined to let her do this (DH and I will be there too) if we bring her little life jacket. Does anybody have any opinions. I have never been, so don't know what to expect.

I'm back. And I have some good news *maybe* for your daughter.

Have fun! :D

Thanks CrusinMama - appreciate the info and you taking the time to look it up.

I'm so psyched for this trip...why does it have to be six months away!?!?! *lol*

Bobol

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello as I am new to the RCCL board. Never been on RCCL before (NCL and Carnival), so am looking forward to our Mariner trip this September.

Bobol

Thanks to everybody who responded. Now, if I can just make it through the spring and summer....*whew*...too long until my cruise. *sob* :D

We did this tubing with Trevor Hudlin as our driver/guide for the day. It was wonderful. Our group at the tubing place was small. We never excahnged money. Trevor charged us the 20$ pp which he paid the tubing people. We had 2 guides with us. We never got paddles. We were not tied together. And at certain spots it was rapid and my 10 yr old got caught in it and pushed to the rocky sides. Got his leg scrapped a bit, but nothing serious. I could not get to him. The guide swam to him and steered him out of the side area. When the river was calm, you need to paddle. We did this with our hands. There were bottoms to all of the tubes. Then almost at the end, you needed to hop off drap the tube to the shore and climb out of the water. This was our favorite part. We jumped many times off the cliff into the water. Also, the water was ice cold. It was in October.

Thank you for your response. :)

To clarify...I wasn't "just" asking about age restrictions. I was asking for opinions from folks who had done this excursion, especially with kids, as I have never done it and wanted to know what to expect. I consider that to be the beginning of my "research" into the matter.

Rest assured, if the excursion is not age-appropriate for my child, she won't be going.

Don't worry about it. This board is full of people who know more about parenting than anyone else. They just like to make sure everyone else knows how superior they are, and how inferior everyone else is, when it comes to parenting.

Archived