Some more Star to Alaska Excursions advice

CaribBeantown

Waiting almost until the last minute to book excursions, I put in for any that were of interest and hoped to get on at least one of them. With mixed emotions I wasn't able to get on any flightseeing/dogsledding excursions, missing I'm sure an unforgettable experience but two grand richer in my pocket!

Here's what I was confirmed on:

Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Request

Ketchikan Explorer by Land and Sea

White Pass Railway, Bus & Gold Rush Trail

Hike and Float the Chilkoot Trail (Skagway)

Orca & Wildlife Quest by Jetboat (Victoria)

Grand Total to be charged to my onboard account: $2,236.00!

The only one I will keep as a definite is the White Pass Railway. The rest all seem to be too similar excursions just in different places. Anyone out there have any experience with any of these excursions to help me make a decision and hopefully save a few more bucks? I would like to do at least one of the land/sea tours above.

From my reading here and my own research, seems there are lots of other less expensive ways to see Mendenhall Glacier, but is this the place to check out the wild life, too? We like to hike and ride bikes (for enjoyment, not the sport) and wonder if any of the ports are more conducive to that? There is so little time in Victoria I like the idea of the "Orca" quest but will we have had our share of whales by then?

Thanks all to any and all responses!

I am on the Sun in a couple of weeks. One thing I learned the first Time we went to Alaska is to bugjet almost the cost of another cabin for the cost of excursions.

I feel better my total (so far) for 3 is just over $1600. Last time we did both floatplanes into Mysty Fjord and a landing on Mendenhall. If you like to hike check out the independent float planes into Mysty Fjords from Ketchikan. Island wings offers combined landing and hike in some of the most pristen environment. $$$

This trip we are currently staying on the land and water and out of the air. If you are going for the first time at least one flight based excursion is a must IMHO.

CaribBeantown,

We loved the train/bus/trail camp excursion that you say is your definite!

Mendenhall might be a possibility for shaving some $$ off the excursion bill. I will be interested to see if people post regarding the wildlife there, as that would be an important factor in making the decision, but all else aside, we had a good visit just taking the $5 shuttle to the visitors center. There were some great viewing areas, albeit a bit crowded. We didn't take the hike that goes up under the waterfall, but that seems like it might be a good option!

Would you be intersted in booking independently for some flightseeing? Seems like TEMSCO has some great helicopter glacier trips (I know;) that doesn't help the pocketbook). The website www.temscoair.com has some great descriptions. (They depart directly across from the gangway in Skagway. We saw them coming and going in their snazzy red helicopters throughout the day.)

I don't know the details on the Ketchikan Explorer by Land and Sea, but if you find that your excursions are too similar, this might be a good port to do something different. I have read a lot of good reveiws of Island wings flightseeing to Misty Fjords. www.islandwings.com

I also read this about bike riding in Ketchikan

originally posted by sandra&ron (on the old boards)

This isn't your traditional way to 'tour' but our BEST day of the whole cruise was in Ketchikan where we rented bikes at Southeastern Exposure. A short walk from the ship, walked in, got all we need (maps, helmets), had the bikes for the whole day for a nominal price. We cycled forever along the waters edge, visited the totem carvings, the museum, the coop, the shops, the beach, visited parts of Ketchikan that were 'real' vs. touristy too. It was absolutely beautiful and an easy ride.

and about hiking in Ketchikan

originally posted by BudgetQueen (old boards, again)

I think the best hiking is out at Ward Lake and the Preserverance trail is supurb. But you need a car to get there, consider Alaska Rental- I've rented from them several times and may still offer drop off at the dock. The other trail I recommend in Ketchikan is the Deer Mt trail, it is walkable from downtown- pick up a walking tour map from the dock visitor center - it's about a 15-20 min walk to the trail head, you can then hike up as far as you wish then return. There is also the coastal walk - south of town 2+ miles to Saxman Village- as you know, I don't recommend going there without a tour- but you could stop by the carving shed and have a look around. Nice walk along the shore- all level. North is "industrial", but if inclined you could walk up to the airport- which is unique since you have to take a ferry to it since it is on an island. You walk by seaplanes and plenty of boats too.

Thanks again for the awesome info and advice! I have a question about port arrival time in Juneau. The itinerary says, and the shore excursion desk at NCL confirms, that arrival time in Juneau on my sailing is 9am. However, I have spoken to a friend who works on the Star this past Sunday and he says they have never arrived in port until about 12:30, docking about 3. Has anyone on this cruise actually arrived at 9am?

I found a company, North Star Trekking, http://www.glaciertrekking.com. who have availability for a 3 1/2 hour Helicopter glacier landing tour. They had availability at 12:30 and 3:30. I would prefer the 12:30 if I'm going to be in port at 9am. I just spoke to them and they said they have had this problem with the Star schedule. So along with the Norwegian Star port schedule, anyone have any experience with this company, North Star Trekking?

As to arrival time in Juneau,

I don't see how they could get in much before noon, at least on a reliable schedule. We sailed from Seattle on time, had perfect seas, cruised Sun night & Mon at 30 knots (5-7.5 knots above "service"speed) when possible and arrived Juneau at 12:00 noon. We did go slow coming into Juneau, but I would imagine that they always have to do that, with all the cruise ships in the area and other considerations.

Although this port is listed as a stop where the ship docks, the SPIRIT is in the STAR's dock position until approx. 2pm, so they tender upon arrival, then dock and put up the gangways later. Unless the tour providers are willing to wait for you, or unless things have changed with the docking procedure, I would take the later tour departure. I know it puts it right in the middle of your port time. There is a lot to peruse in the port area, so I think you could fill the pre-tour time pretty easily. If you do get in early, you could take the Mt. Roberts Tramway up the mountainside for a great aerial view, some high country hiking, view the captive eagle up there, and some wild ones too, etc.

I am curious if the Star has yet arrived in Juneau near 9 am. I haven't heard of it in any of the reviews that I have read.

Also, haven't heard of North Star Trekking, but there are a few experts on the Alaska board that are INCREDIBLY informative about everything under the Sun. I received some very detailed answers to some very specific questions over there.

CaribBeantown:

What week are you traveling? We are traveling the week of the 22nd. We are a family of "4" and have spent a small fortune in excursions as well. We chose the Pilots Choice Helicopter tour out of Juneau, deciding to forego the whale watch until we get to Victoria. We thought it would be fun to see Orca in the wild, don't have any of them over here in Boston. We are getting so excited for this trip. Have a great time!

Dianne

We just got back from the Summit and did North Star Trekking in Juneau for 1 hour. It was a "must do " as far as we were concerned. They helicoptered us to Mendenhall Glacier and once we landed, put crampons on and we hiked around the glacier for an hour. The guides are wonderful and very professional as well as friendly. I would beg, borrow, or steal to do this excursion. We will never forget it.

Joyce

P.S. The one hour went by so fast, I could easily do 2 hrs.

OK Northstar Trekking is a long established top run company- do not hesistate to book them- ask THEM for the recommended time and go with that. As for whale watching- you need a long boat tour out of Victoria- at least 4 hours in my opinon for orcas, not always seen. In Juneau humpbacks are seen on 100% of the trips. Sailing your last day BACK inside Vancouver Island- be out on deck from later afternoon until dusk. I have always seen orcas here. The BEST place for biking inside passage is Skagway and out toward Dyea. In Ketchikan there is considerable traffic- not a problem in Skagway and all flat- can get a good look at residential life in either. Simple to go on your own. At Mendenahall glacier - NOT likely to see wildlife. The times I saw bears- the views were seconds. IF YOU WANT WILDLIFE sightings- you need tours. Cheapest option would be a flight out of Ketchikan. My opinion only but the Misty Fjords sail and sea takes up too much of your port time and is similar to some of your cruise sailing. I much prefer this area via round trip float plane. The upper views just make the whole trip scenic. Also for just a glacier landing- Coastal has the "bargains" starting at $180pp.

Archived